Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Speco LP-270 Fix

Author Topic: Speco LP-270 Fix
Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 12:08 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been following the forum for a few weeks now and decided to register and participate. So just like when you have a new neighbor move in next door you feel obligated to offer a gift. My company runs 9 Speco LP-270 platters and one of the problems with the platter is the rods that hold the rollers at the top of the yo yo (take up) bend, break and come loose.
I remember reading on this forum about a guy who was standing in the wrong place when one of these rods broke and had to get stitches in his face. Ouch! Polyester film 3121, rods 0. I was lying in bed one night pretending to be listening to my wife but really thinking about how to solve this problem and this is what I came up with. We bought 1" x 10" mending braces (available at most hardware stores), heavy L-brackets and caster/rollers (these are actually Speco-roller we had laying around), some bolts and very important, red paint. Drill and tap two holes in each side of the tree and mount the mending braces at the same height as the old rods. Then, mount the L-brackets to the brace and the rollers on the L-brackets. A few things to watch for. Be careful when drilling the tree not to damage the control wiring inside and make sure you position the caster roller so they line up with the other rollers. Don't forget to paint the mending braces with the red paint so that in a couple of years the paint will start to peel off and match the paint on the rest of the platter. HAHA! No way are the mending braces are going to bend, you might bend the L-brackets but you should be able to bend them back into place.
Also, I just purchased the removable brain kit from Speco and would highly recommend the kit (about $320.00 per booth). They have replaced the shallow head screws which hold the magnet in place with hex head screws which you can tighten down without stripping out like the old screws. It doesn't remove static, but it does keep the film from jumping out of the payout arm since the new design has a top on the payout arm. Being able to remove the payout disc is a big plus when moving prints and solves another maintenance problem, broken off rollers. Hope this can help someone

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2000 05:32 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very common problem with SPECOs. Their later "upgrade" with the double takeup elevator is even worse (flimsier material). Good suggestion.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 11:25 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great suggestion Greg! The first time I snapped one of those rods, I had to literally RUN to the hardware store and buy a 4" bolt for a temporary fix. Now I'm careful to initiate the take-up with a slight tug on the film from the projector side while holding the film so it doesn't get away from me too fast. Lastly, about the hex head screws . . . magnet failure is usually caught during the laceing phase. Even if the show will be a couple of minutes late, I always reset the screws before starting the show. The main reason is so I can shut down the power and work safe. Shock therapy is something I didn't sign on for when I went up to the booth. Some guys in our booth try to fix the magnet while the platter is running. A few end up clutching their wrists and screaming colorful explatives.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2000 05:15 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's best always to pull a bit more film than you know you're gonna need if the take up is already engaged. Then just let it out slowly.

Those double elevators are terrible but the auto switching Specos were even worse with the tiny elevator run.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 08:16 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Speco platters shown above were designed in the mid 70's and since then I have been purchasing Strong platters. I know that Speco is still selling platters, have they re designed this area of the platter or are they still using rods?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2000 07:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At last purchace (five years ago) they were still using the rods.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: