Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carbon Arcs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Carbon Arcs
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 09:50 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I'm not bothering anyone, maybe you've all discussed this to death. What I find interesting, and especially with the talk about the drive-in recently that was switching to 3K Xenon, is that many of you seem to prefer the old arc lamps. One fellow recently mentioned that he wasn't sure whether a particularly great presentation he saw was the high quality of the print or not. This was the first time he'd seen a film lit with carbons, and thought that might be the reason for the "warmth" of the light. I completely understand the economics now, but as a "hobbyist", I'm curious as hell to spark up some carbon! My lamps were running 13.6mm, but you could buy kits for 11, 10, and even 9. Does anyone know what kind of amps/ output for the 9's and 10's? Or where I might find a chart? What are the comparitive light outputs between these old girls and Xenon? My manual only lists the two larger sizes. And hey, if anyone has any interesting stories, fire away!

------------------
Dave Bird

|  IP: Logged

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 10:00 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oi, old memories...
If the lamphouse manuals don't specify it, it seems like the boxes of carbons themselves listed a typical current.
Carbons can produce a very different color of light, depending on their operating current, arc gap and even their relationship to the f1 point of the reflector.

Pat

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-23-2000 10:06 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a nice table of carbon sizes and amperage ratings in the SMPTE projectionist book. Someone told me that this is now out of print, but I was able to order a copy a couple of years ago. Perhaps it's been reprinted since then?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-23-2000 02:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prints were color-timed for carbon arc for many years after xenon was in widespread use. I think they are being timed for xenon now.

While I really do like the look of carbon arc, let me assure you it was a job to run them. You were always cleaning, tweeking, and cleaning some more. Ash in the lamphousing, on the reflector, up the stack; all of this had to be cleaned away (the fire police inspector would stick their hand way up the stack to check.) Silver polishing the carbon jaws, scraping the melted copper away (sometimes off of the reflector- be careful!), certain kinds of oil (regular, graphite, etc.) had to be used in certain places. The carbon feed speeds would vary during the day depending on the local line voltage, so you would have to check it. The booth would get hot. The carbon end would sometimes break off, so the light would look weird until a new crater got burned in (about 3-4 min.) The ability to guess at how long a stub would last varied from one operator to another- sometimes with a melted silver jaw as a result (an Ashcraft 13.5mm negative jaw cost $260 in 1978.)

No, thank you.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-23-2000 03:02 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John's points are valid. I started a little more than two years ago in a single-screen with 6000' reels and xenons and have since been the fill-in guy at a single-screen with small reels and carbons and a 10-screen automated multiplex with platters, start timers, etc.

Of these three different arrangements, I'd say that the single-screen with carbons required the most actual work, but that the multiplex required the most knowledge (not only projectors, but also platters, automation systems, fancy sound systems, etc.). I've enjoyed all three environments, but for different reasons; all of them have been interesting experiences.

If I were building a new single-screen theatre or renovating an old one, though, I'd definitely go with 6000' reels (or at least the capability to run 6000' reels) and xenons. It would be pretty silly to install rebuilt carbon arc equipment today (except maybe for followspot use), although I agree that it does look beautiful onscreen.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 03:25 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed, I wouldn't install them either to run a "real" theatre. But my initial plan is to learn how to run these suckers (probably thrown to the side of my barn). I knew when I took these lamps that I really had little chance of ever lighting them, though I would've liked to, for the experience. And you gotta admit, for sheer "wow" appeal to patrons or folks who don't have to deal with them everyday, the carbons
are pretty cool. That being said, my dream drive-in features 3 screens with completely modern booth upstairs, but for screen 1, an additional glass-enclosed (visible to patrons) old-time changeover-carbon setup for when the boss felt like stepping back in time. Neat idea? I think so. Realistic? Probably not, course building a drive-in probably isn't either. But I'm having fun with that equipment. Thanks guys.

------------------
Dave Bird

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 04:17 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the NATIONAL CARBON BULLETINS (Union Carbide) on the manuals page. It will give you quite a bit of info on carbon arc.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-23-2000 10:47 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you one thing carbon arcs were good for; keeping annoying managers out of the booth.

One guy came in and started in with the usual, "Think I'll learn projection...easy job, get extra money.." I said sure- do this.... and lit up this big Ashcraft we had. "BuzzzitttfittiFIZZIIIITTTT!!!!!" Sounds like a shitload of really pissed-off bees. Of course, I kept the rods apart so the feed motors whined like crazy to stabilize.

He actually took a slight step backwards. Really made my day.--

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 01:44 AM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I read you correctly you intend to convert a 13.6mm arc to a 10mm. Remember that the 13.3mm was not copper coated, but 9 & 10mm were,I think I recall a 11mm that was not copper coated but we never used them. The difference being that the copper coated used the copper as a conductor, but the uncoated used the silver contacts as close as possible to the flame to stop spindling. In a past life I used to make replacement jaws for the Ashcrafts, I found that solid silver was not necessary, brass blocks with water channels and a silver inlay around 2mm thick lasted as long as the solid silver and could be resilvered when they wore out. All told I made around 200 like this. I also converted a a few Cinemcannica lamphouses to 13.6mm for drivein use.
David

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-24-2000 07:21 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were a lot of work. Dirty, constantly waiting for you to leave the booth so they could play up etc. but no one can take away their excellent heating properties. Where else could you put the freshly cooked hot dog during intermission at the drive in and still have it hot after the slides finished.

Mmmmmmmmmm...carbon heated hot dogs....

YUMMY!!!!!

------------------
"I could never be a woman. I'd just sit at home and play with my breasts all day."

Steve Martin - L.A. Story

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 09:47 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the states carbons were available uncoated in 9,10,11,and 13.6mm sizes. The length was 20 inches although there were 18 inchers made in the 11 and 13.6mm sizes for some of the Ashcraft lamps. There were also joinable 13.6mm carbons made for awhile. I think these were 12 or 14 inches long. They also made a 16mm positive for special high current applications.

------------------
Bob Throop

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-24-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joinable 13.6mm carbons (no stubs- you just fit the end of one into the front of another) were made by Union Carbide. I think the trade name was "Lorraine."

Where I worked, they were too cheap, and bought Marble "Double Eagle" brand.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-24-2000 03:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lorraine was is a french carbon company
The joinable 13.6mm carbon was a product of union carbide canada
The other carbon companies were
Morganite (UK)
Diamnond (Ringsdorf Germany)
Double Eagle (Marble Co. Japan)
Sunny (Ibagawa Japan)
Seagull (china)

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 09:44 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carbon Arcs? No thanks, friends. John is right. What a load of work cleaning and making sure that these things were working properly. Breaking during a show, sputtering and causing fluctuating light.

I started in 1968 in a single house with two Century C projectors and soundheads. The lamps were Peerless MagnArc. Great at the time but they can't even begin to compare with the Xenon lamps of today.
Operating a booth today (even a multiplex) is a far cry from the so called "good old days", believe me. Xenons, platters and automation have made running a modern booth nearly trouble free if they are cared for properly by caring people. I don;t mean to sound a like an old fart but you young projectionist have no idea how easy you have it today.

The bygone days can stay that way as far as I'm concerned. Enough ranting now from me.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-25-2000 09:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lorraines were from France (Fronce!), and were imported by Carbons, Inc. UCAR made "Nationals".

I think they're ALL bulk-purchased from Lorraine now, anyway... even the Marble brand. Everyone just puts their individual stamps on. The ones I liked the best, Union Carbide, curtailed projector carbon manufacture years ago. Then, they would make a big run about once a year, to fill accumulated orders. Before long, even that was discontinued.

Yes, carbon arc operation... I loved it! It was when the job was a CRAFT.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: