Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » RTA's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: RTA's
Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2000 09:03 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in what brand Real Time Analizers the techs on this forum use. I had to return my Goldline when the service company i worked for closed (company property). so I am in the market for a new or used one. Has anyone used an Audio Toolbox by terraSonde and if so what is/ was your impression of it
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-22-2000 09:47 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that, generally speaking, an R2 unit (from Lucas/THX) was "the" standard.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2000 11:16 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a Goldline that I bought myself from Tech America (Radio Shack's Commercial division). It works fine for me.
I would like to buy an Ivie, but boy are they expensive.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2000 11:17 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to have an R2! Then again, I like it when the theatre has enough money to write me a pay check too! *grin*

We use an Audio Controls RTA.

It has a built-in pink noise generator and also takes SPL readings.

Russ

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-23-2000 09:17 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Audio Control

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 12:18 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Audio Control. Best bang for the buck. About a 1000. If you have about 5000, go for the R2. But then you have to get a lap top. Which could be cheap, since all you need is a 386.

The cheaper multiplexing rout is with the audio control and the Ultra Stereo multiplexer. I believe that it runs about 1500.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-23-2000 05:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The R2 is the best
the next best is either the Goldline DSP30 or the Abacuss unit
the Audio Control is a bit bouncy in its display for my liking
Also there is a good one that Smart sells call the PCRTA
If you don't buy the R2 also buy a ultrastereo mic multiplexer

Barry Hans
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 07:46 PM      Profile for Barry Hans   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Hans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am suprised that no one has mentioned the Ivie RTA. I know that it is a bit costly but have never heard a bad thing about it. Where can I get info on the Abacus? My understanding is it is no longer made. The Goldline seemed to work OK, though i was always hunting booth floors for screws that would fall off the thing. Also, every once in a great while I would have problems with the display doing odd things.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2000 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one choice if you want a standard to go by. THX R-2! Hands down. I have used 6 different analyzers over the last 18 years. They were the old Altec CRT based analyzer(actually an H-P and my first one and still one of my favs), Ivie IE-30(great,but not durable), Audio Control, Klark Teknik, and I now own an Ivie PC40 and a THX R-2. The thing about the R-2 is that it is an analyzer that is capable of accurate, repeatable results. Few others can do this. The sound difference in systems eq'd with it is astonishing. I have done everyting with it. Altecs, HPS, JBL, EV, you name it. My customers have always been impressed with the results and that speaks for itself. There are other 4 mic systems(Ultra Stereo for instance) but they do not automatically match the level of the 4 mics as the R-2 does and this is very important so the system can make accurate measurements. The R-2 is extremely versitle and reliable. The PC-40 was a purchase I made just before I bought the R-2. Its a good analyzer and does a few things the R-2 can't and I also like it for "A" chain work and dubbers cause its alot more portable and allows going through a bunch of "A" chains quickly. The band pass filters in both the PC-40 and the R-2 are exceptional.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-24-2000 03:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Abbacus is very much in business in the UK they have a web site but I don't have the address handy and they even have us dealer
The DSP30 Goldline doesn't have any screws falling out of it that I have just too much plastic

Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 08:24 PM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello ALL ;
This is my first post and i would just like to say that I find this site excellent , it contains a wealth of information for anyone in the movie business !
I use an Ivie PC40 and an R2 ; I find the R2 best overall . I do have a couple of complaints about the R2 ; it very often freezes up saying it has a "communications problem" with my laptop , which sometimes requires several reboots of the R2 and or Laptop for it to function . My other complaint is the long 60 second initalization time of the R2 which sometimes can seem like an eternity !
I have heard that THX has a new version of the R2 software in the works ; does anyone know anything about this , will it be Windows or still DOS ?
Thanks

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-25-2000 02:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully it is still dos
I run my R2 with very few com errors from a HP200LX 8088 palmtop
The R2 doesn't always like the baud rate set up in you laptop and you may have to gointo you setup and adjust it

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2000 05:26 PM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that the R2 is the most versatile RTA out there. It is more than capable of handling any senario for instalation, testing and Research purposes. I have found it quite usefull in doing STC studies in my auditoriums, finding room modes, and other acoustical testing including the RT-60 reverberation test which is so crucial for ensuring dialogue inteligibility. I typically run my R2 on my laptop in DOS mode only from start up. I avoid running dos under windows because i have experienced faults and communication errors in the past. The R2 software is reliable in the Dos only mode. I recently became aware that THX is now offering a calibration kit for the countryman microphones that come with the R2 kit. About time!!! I have to often calibrate them and was wondering how the THX engineers calibrate their mics.
Barry: I also use the terra sounde tool box and have compared it to my R2. Not a bad unit for $800 bucks and it does RT-60 too!!! I like the terra sounde beacause it's light weight (bout 1 lb), user friendly, accurate(subjective), illuminated screen for dark operation, cost, upgradability and adaptability(for specific uses like studio work etc)
Still for tunning an auditorium, nothing beats four mics and the accuracy of the R2 (AS LONG AS MICS ARE CALIBRATED!!!!!)
Gordon: Have you used the RT-60 decay analysis for your line of work?
Remember no matter what RTA you use..one still needs to implement proper signal strength, gain structure, and Eq techniques.
The audio control Ivie and other RTAs out there are also fine but some lack some functions which limit its uses like 4 microphone multiplexing, RT-60, time averaging and others. I have found that the R2 is very useful in doing an A-chain as well. With the slit illumination test film you can ensure that you LED is properly centered with the analog camera ans check you analog signal strength as well.
There are other RTA that are commin about which seem promising as well. www.spectraplus.com offers a free 30day trial of their software based RTA which uses your laptop's sound card for the RTA. All you need is a mic/mics, cable, and or a multiplexor. I have a sofware ocilloscope program whichalso uses my laptop's sound card. Technically i can have all my a-chain and b-chain equipment, tools and all, iu one light weight laptop case. I hope to enjoy this forum and to be capable of contributing helpful information like many others out there as well.
Rory Burke
"nothing like a 7k bulb with a three bladed shutter"

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-25-2000 06:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use every bell and whistle that the R2 has and have order the calibration kit
It is far happyioer if you install something like bootmanager or partition magic athat allows a real version of dos at boot up rather than the restar msdos mode that windows whatever allows
Since I dislike carrying 2 laptops with (SDDS ) i often use the HP palm top

Rory Burke
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2000 01:05 AM      Profile for Rory Burke   Email Rory Burke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Must be the HP 200LX?
I like it alot myself as well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: