Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » China Markers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: China Markers
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2000 04:51 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone! I haven't posted much but have always read the site everyday. My post has to do with china markers (grease pencils). I remember an old post about marking film. I know by many it's a no no but the theatre i work for use grease pencils all the time. They use it to marked the edges and to mark heads and tails on the film. I have since stopped doing it but if need be I have to (as in marking film edges but even that I haven't done lately. I know it leaves undo crud on the film for nothing. I was just curious what others thought about this.

Rich

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-22-2000 04:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the EPRAD edge marker on even the IMAX prints

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-22-2000 04:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any film marking should be done with something that can be completely removed, like edge-tape. Grease pencil, china markers, shoepolish etc. all damage either the sound areas, the image areas or both.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-22-2000 04:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually since in the law according to filmtech SDDS has no right to exist so there fore obliteration of the SDDS track is not a concern
I have never had a problem using the silver paint marker in the eprad device causeing a glitch in the SDDS track. It just requires skill

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2000 11:32 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use clear tape on repairs and zebra tape on reel changes.

Since polyester film doesn't break, I have found that my guys will use clear tape at the reel changes as well. When the only splices present are reel change splices, there isn't any confusion at break-down.

We also use editing gloves (cotton). Is this neccessary when we treat all new prints with Film Guard on their first two runs? I seem to recall somewhere where someone didn't like the gloves, but I can't remember the reason.

While I'm at it, we also use Kodak PTRs on every performance where a media cleaner is not in use. We have two media cleaners and eleven screens. Can the PTRs pick up dust from Film Guard treated prints?

Russ

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2000 03:57 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most people don't use gloves because a better splice can be made if you aren't fumbling through a pair of gloves. Also, frequently the cotton fibers get trapped in the splices and make for a nasty looking splice. I don't use them and so long as you don't go running your fingers over the picture area, don't feel they are necessary. Inspecting prints is also far easier without gloves.

Yes, PTRs can pick up dust/dirt from FG prints.

I also must agree with Gordon. The Eprad marker does a fantastic job. Their applicator also makes it virtually impossible for it to disturb the SDDS track (but then again who cares about that track anyway, right)?

Still, why not just put a piece of tape on the reels with a line drawn on the tape at the "full level" and use that for breaking down?

Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 06:31 AM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of an Epred marker so I don't know how to use one. Are they expensive to buy? Also Brad, I didn't quite get what you meant buy "full mark" line. It sounds like two superior ways of doing things but I wouldn't mind some further explanation.

Thanks.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-23-2000 05:55 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one of the Eprad things around here somewhere. If I find it, I'll take a picture. Basically, it is a little plastic thing that holds the film. On the edge of it is a hole for the paint pen to go into. You load the film into it, stick the paint pen in the end, and then pull the film through for however long you want it marked.

"Full line", before you unwind the reels on a new print, take a piece of masking tape and place it on the side of the reel. Now, take a marker and draw a line on the tape at the point where the outer revolution of film is. That mark will then tell you exactly how much film is supposed to be on the reel during breakdown. Simply wind until you are about 1/2 inch away from the mark, then slow it down a bit and start hand inspecting the film as it runs off of the platter. You will feel the splice run through your fingers. There really is no need to mark the film in any way.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 06:08 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the coreless film that I have been repairing lately, along with visits to the dentist, and other fun things, I have been glad to see reel #'s printed on the film with a china marker. Some of the films I have came with all the head and tail leaders tossed in the box (or can) and the film just rewound until the reels were full. Somewhere along the way, some theater wrote the reel #'s in tiny letters in the black frame area with a china marker. The same handwriting also scratched reel#'s into other prints. I prefer the marker. It comes right off with a little FG persuasion. With the unchangeable aperture on the Holmes, I get to see R4, for example, at the head of a movie just below the image..

Bruce

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
grease pencils? I do use them but what I do is to make a line at the join of the splice no wider than a frame line then cover that with the splicing tape. The tape holds the grease pencil residue in place so that it does not travel. When tearing down a print in the dark the splice stands out and I know for sure it is my joint.

Carl King

Carl King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 10:12 PM      Profile for Carl King   Email Carl King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ps. I also mark the head and tail peices clearly with grease pencil so that the next guy/girl knows what reels they are dealing with.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 07-14-2000 11:20 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We dont put marks on the film whatsoever, nor do we use a different colored tape for splices. we use clear splicing tape all the time. we have not found a reason to use anything else for any reason. .

Although, when i started at cinemark. for a while we were clear splicing the reels together and add a little strip of solid yellow tape on the soundtrack side just enough to cover the sdds track only. otherwise the dolby would make a pop. kind of like putting on a strip of reflective tape on the edge of the print for a cue. but this was soon abolished.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2000 11:41 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also started out using Clear splicing tape with a bit of yellow over the area where SDDS is now. But now I use Zebra tape for all reel changes and Clear for all trailers, commercials, ugly lab splices, and fixes. Zebra tape is just as invisible on screen as Clear tape if applied correctly and there is no confusion at teardown time.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2000 12:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is that Eprad marker thing still as expensive as it used to be? We have one around here somewhere too, I think we paid something like $75 for it. I agree with Brad, there's no need to mark on the film, but if you MUST make a mark, that Eprad thing works well if you can afford it.

I also have used "edge mark" tape ... 1/4" wide. All it takes is a half-inch piece to make a noticable mark.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2000 10:11 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay let's talk real-life here.

When you are a manager/projectionist dealing with cash-outs, stock control, and 6 films to make-up for the next day, you are NOT going to spend your valuable time looking for where you left the damn Eprad cue marker!

You are going to look for the most expedient method possible of marking the reel changes, be it china marker or paint stick.

C'mon guys, this is the real world today. Let's start a thread on the deterioration of projection on-screen quality in the past decade.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: