Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Center Platter - "Wobbles" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Center Platter - "Wobbles"
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2000 08:54 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a Christie AW2 with those "fiberglass" platter decks. The upper & lower decks run smooth, both the center deck "wobbles". What would cause this??

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-19-2000 10:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Wobbles in what way?

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2000 11:48 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the platter deck is spinning, it rises and lowers (like a shaft is bent)from side to side.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2000 12:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These platter do warp easily. Replacement is the real only cure. Someone may have leaned on it at some time or set something heavy on it.
You can also check to see if the axel bolted to the arm is tight too, but the warping thing has always been an issue with these platters.
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-19-2000 08:17 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have NOS parts for AW-2s? Those haven't been made for over 20 years or more.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-19-2000 09:29 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one with Formica decks, with a take-up control arm with a roller that sticks up next to each deck? Has a screendoor spring on the take-up control arm?

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2000 09:32 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of putting weight on platters. I was among ten cars last night at a local drive-in so we toured the booth. I wondered why the platter they'd bought last year wasn't hooked up yet. Oh, he says, we hooked it up and it wouldn't turn and then caused an electrical fire. No sh**, all last year, it collected more and more old sound amps, cleaners, speakers etc. Then again, they also added a huge, brightly lit
Coke machine facing the screen. ARRRG

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2000 07:59 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can clarify more specifically. The platter is a Christie Autowind "Xenolite" - Model CFH 52-3, S/N # 195.

Yes it is the one with the Hydraulic "door closers" with the rollers at the edge of each platter. I've contacted Christie trying to locate a manual, but I'm still waiting for a return call.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2000 08:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, We are a Christie dealer and we are also waiting for a return call. I know the feeling.
Mark

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-20-2000 01:32 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My AW3 - that's right AW3 - a few disks wobble on it --- what's with that?

------------------
Scott D. Neff
----------------
www.cinema-west.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2000 06:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have a platter that's a variation I don't know of, that manual is right here for download.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2000 08:13 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally talked to an engineer @ Christie yesterday afternoon.
My platter is officialy considered "antique". Although they still work, I was informed it's almost 30 years old. He said it was one of the "original" Autowind models, and was NOT designed to last this long.

He said the manual is available from Christie, but I need to order it through my authorized Christie dealer.

Next question.... who wants to be my "authorized Christie dealer"??

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-21-2000 08:50 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the platter deck wobbles, I find that most of the time it's because someone dropped a print on it. Or, one person tried to put a print on and couldn't 'control' it, and leaned heavily on the deck.

I can tell because it's usually it's the center deck.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-21-2000 09:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will probably find that you are SOL at getting christie parts even the screendoor closure was not a off the shelf item
Try removing the deck and check the bearings for slop the sleeve the are mounted in and the shaft they ride on for grooves

If they are all OK flip the platter deck upside down on the floor and measure the angle of the bore and the trueness of the surface.

In the long run you would be wise to get either a new or a newer platter and turn this one into 3 patio table tops

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2000 11:41 AM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

AW3 (and AW3R) decks usually wobble because the center of the deck (that slides onto the axle) has become separated from the rest of the deck.

I have repaired several AW3's with this problem. There is a reinforcement kit available that can remedy this situation. It's easy to install and costs a lot less than a new deck (email me for info).

You should look at how bad the wobble is. If the deck can ride up over the drive wheel, then it's probably time to do something about it.

Now, one caveat to this: There was a reinforcement kit that was used years ago that replaced the whole center part of the deck. This kit is not compatible with the newer type I have seen. However, with this older type, you may be able to "re-glue" it to the deck.

Regards,
Trevor

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: