Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Selling 35mm Prints that are not Legally yours....

Author Topic: Selling 35mm Prints that are not Legally yours....
Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2000 01:01 PM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is tough situation. I know of someone selling 35mm prints that they have no right selling. They still belong to the distributor. I've heard of folks trying to get rid of prints for years but the distributor never picked them up. Ususally its a stupid film like 'Bordello of Blood.' Just recently I've heard of a very recent academy award winning movie being sold under the table. I'm not working for these people but have a friend who asked me what she should do about this. Confronting the guilty parties will only get her fired and she can't risk that. My suggestion would be to call the distributor anoninmously (I know I spelled that wrong...) and ask them to check up on the print and then the mystery will unfold. Is this the best idea? What would you guys do?

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-17-2000 01:16 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would do nothing. Nothing at all. Don't help or hurt the situation in anyway. While it's not right for someone to sell another's property, the owners should have kept track of their prints.

And if you get involved, it could *very easily* turn against you.

Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2000 01:19 PM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice. Thank you. :-)

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-18-2000 04:58 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know WHERE to get a copy --- but we have a subscription to "The Big Reel" -- a magazine full of 35 and 16mm prints for sale.

Thank you Big Reel for my print of "L.A. Story" (only $80)

And I woulda had a print of "Goonies" if it weren't for those meddling kids.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2000 05:21 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The Big Reel is published by Antique Trader. You can reach them at 319-588-2073. It's turning into a haven for bootlegged B westerns though and very few film prints are advertised any more.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-18-2000 06:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there's still a good amount of 16mm stuff in TBR. It's the 35mm titles that are getting harder to find and more expensive. I haven't figured out yet if this is a result of a) an increase in the number of collectors, b) reduced print availability, or c) an increased desire by the 35mm collectors to keep their transactions more private. I'd assume it's a combination.

BTW, I agree with John--keep your mouth shut about this sort of thing. In many cases, prints for sale are totally legal. In other cases, this is a grey area. In neither case will it benefit anyone to report this.

I am making the assumption here that the print in question is of a movie that is already available on video and that the buyer and seller have no intentions of making video transfers or dupe prints. I am absolutely against film piracy in any form and would not hesitate to report it. There's a big difference, though, between film pirates who screw over the film-makers and -distributors and private individuals who collect film to watch at home.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-23-2000 05:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
L.A. Story for 80 bucks?? Score, Scott! Try getting it for that much on ebay! If you ever want to part with it, I'm your man!

-------------------------------
"I could never be a woman. I'd just sit at home and play with my breasts all day."

Steve Martin - L.A. Story

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-23-2000 08:31 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>It's turning into a haven for bootlegged B westerns <<

The BIG REEL's always been about B-Westerns (and happily so for me). That's why it was started, back in the late 60s/early 70s. It was a newsletter that gave B-Western collectors a means to discuss their hobby, and to trade prints. It was originally published by Don Key (put the name together, that's funny) in North Carolina, which was, in those days, a hotbed of B-Western activity.

Incidentally, if you like Westerns at all, and if you want some real family-friendly fun, spend $3.00 next time you're at a K-mart or a truck plaza, and pick-up one of John Wayne's 1930's B-Westerns (you can often get TWO on one tape). You'll be guaranteed an exciting, fast-paced story, with lots of ACTION! You also can't go wrong with a Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, or a Hopalong Cassidy video!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Reeve Byrne
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 09:09 PM      Profile for Reeve Byrne   Email Reeve Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would keep my ear open to see if it continues to happen. If it gets out of hand and other people are getting in trouble the I would think about saying something. But otherwise than that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

BTW I was just in Moscow what theater do you work at? Or do you work at one in Pullman?

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 08:37 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd mind my own business

------------------
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2000 10:53 AM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work in Moscow at the University of Idaho. We have our own little movie theater in the Student Union Building.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: