Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The Novice File! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Novice File!
Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2000 02:19 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new and just began my cinematic career yeaterday by re-assembling two Simplex XL's. Interesting. You really do learn something new everyday. I learned that the bottom inner mount on the pedestal is a real pain in the butt to align with an
SH-1020 sound mechanism. I also learned why you should be very careful when doing this and subsequently how to, while kneeling, save the sound mech from smashing with fully outstretched left hand! Also learned what happens when you overfill the oil bath. I wonder, is there anywhere that would show me how to thread these things with film? When are the books out Tim? Was Simplex oil the proper oil to fill with? I see now they talk about SAE 40. Is that what I think it is? Motor oil? Thank you.

------------------
Dave Bird

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-14-2000 02:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Before you continue, you should download the XL manual from the site. That will answer most of your questions and assist you in not making a "mistake".

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2000 02:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that SAE 40 should only be used in soundheads equiped with their own oil fills. I do know for a fact that if you are using a thin grade motor oil in the sound head, it must be DETERGENT FREE (anymore these days most motor oils are). I agree with Brad, however, that you should download some manuals before a costly "mistake" is made

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2000 03:28 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have downloaded the XL manual. I just
can't get my printer to give me very clear shots of the pictures, and threading. Also, I suppose because XL's were prodcuced for many years, there are a few differences. My machines were set up for upward throws (and the oil bath works fine), however the oil sight is in the front (not back as they say). So as I topped it up (through the flip
lid on the sight?????), I wasn't sure on the level. So I've had some drip out the plastic
sprocket out at the side. I assuming I filled too full. But I did use Simplex oil. The fellow I bought them from said they no longer made it, and that I'd have to use motor oil when I run out of Simplex. Thanks for your replies. This is exactly why I bought them, to learn.

------------------
Dave Bird

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2000 03:48 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try downloading both the Simplex XL (1960 printing) and the Simplex 35 PR-1014 (the latest version of an XL) manuals.
You can get Simplex projector and Simplex soundhead oil from any theatre equipment dealer such as Entertainment Equipment in Toronto (1-800-448-1656).

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-14-2000 05:38 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1960 printing of the X-L manual came from my collection; I'd be happy to send xerox copies to you if the scans aren't good enough for your purposes. Just send me your physical address and I'll send out the manual in return for the cost of shipping or a trade of xeroxes of some other manuals that I don't have.

There are several different versions of the X-L; the early ones are black in color and the new ones are sort of light grey. Apparently there was a blue-green color in between there somewhere as well.

Simplex oil is fine...be sure to use projector oil for the picture head and soundhead oil for the soundhead (duh). You can get this from your local theatre supplier.

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2000 06:25 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are the black ones. I'm afraid that I don't have much in the way of manuals, except a couple for the Strong Futura II carbon arc lamphouses. Yes, I used projector oil (though I'm afraid I did put a squirt each in the little side-valve on the soundhead). The ability to download all those manuals is fabulous, a wonderful resource, it's just my inkjet printer really "blacks-out" much of the pictures. Even if I could get an e-mail scan of proper threading for the XL / SH-1020 . My previous experience is on 8mm!!! And please let me know if anyone wants a copy of those
Futura II manuals. I had wanted to fire those old girls up, but I'm out of luck without 3-phase power. Their manuals show parameters for using the smaller carbons at lower AMPS, but it must be a "catch-all" manual for their other Strong models at that time. Thanks again.

------------------
Dave Bird

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-15-2000 07:02 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I'm emailing you a picture of the rear oil sight ass'y. It will be interesting to find out if you can still get this kit from Strong. I can't imagine why your machines don't have them, since they already have the "drive-in" oil intake.

At any rate, you only need enough oil to just cover the intake filter. You can look down into the gear side of the machine to determine this, if you have to.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2000 10:20 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, by "drive-in oil intake", do you mean the little flip top on the glass tube. Yes, they're definately at the front, and I definately did put too much oil in! Down through the little storage cabinet drip-drip-drip! What will the intake filter look like. Sorry for these basic questions, I just want to be doubly sure I don't ruin these. I did see the oil baths operate at the theatre. The machines were throwing just slightly up (5-7 degrees by my crude measurements) as the drive-in sloped downward to the screen. Thanks. What have I learned today? Remember that old theory about water (or oil) seeking it's own level?
Proof is on the garage floor. Thanks Tim, for the specs. If you had a threading diagram like this, I'd buy all your books!

------------------
Dave Bird

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-15-2000 02:10 PM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Ken, I printed off the new XL (1014) manual. It's a much easier read and dang, if they aren't the same machine even today. The pictures printed much clearer too. Now I can oil 'er up and shred some film! (Trailer for Woods/Mike J. Fox in
"The Hard Way" could be my first victim!)
Shutting up now.

------------------
Dave Bird

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-15-2000 05:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The XL projector should use SAE 10 non detergent the sound head is SAE40

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-16-2000 01:47 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, I'm actually referring to the sump. It has a little fine-mesh brass screen filter at the end, sits in the oil reservoir, and is connected by a small metal tube to the oil pump. It resembles a small flat cylinder, about 1/2" in diameter.

As you face the gear compartment, it should be located inside, at the bottom on the right (the intake on an indoor version would be on the left). The oil level should just cover the top of the filter.

Short of checking it visually, drain everything out, put in a few ounces of fresh oil, and turn the motor on. If the oil begins spraying pretty good and consistently on the glass, you've got enough oil in it. If it fails to spray (don't let it run more than 7 or 8 seconds with no spray), turn it off and add more until it does. Then add a l-i-t-t-l-e bit more for a margin of safety.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2000 05:53 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As near as I can tell, the oil intakes are on the left. The oil pump is there and the tube goes down to a closed-top disk (the intake?) which seems to be a little bigger than 1/2 inch. The oil nearly gets over this and I'm assuming brass filter is below where I can't see it. The outdoor these machines were from sloped dramatically down from back to front, so I'm estimating the projection angle was only a few degrees upward. My manuals say that for "extreme" upward throws, the drive-in conversion kit may be necessary. Perhaps they didn't need it. The oil runs very well. What is the "whipping" noise? Is that the oil slinger?
Very cool to see it working! I'm going to download the parts manuals next, that will tell me better what I'm looking at. Thank you.

------------------
Dave Bird

Pat Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2000 07:22 AM      Profile for Pat Moore   Email Pat Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave;
Sounds like you're having fun and congratulations on your efforts.
I do feel a bit of sensitivity on oil -- the proper oil for a Simplex Projector is a Capella type -- it's actually more of a hydraulic fluid and lubricant. It was specified long ago because it's thin (easy to pump), and the word from Howard Straight (Mr. Simplex) was that its molecule size allowed it to run between the mated surfaces of the star and cam in the intermittent. Other oil types can't get in that space to lubricate. Regular motor oil of any kind is used only in a pinch, 10Wt NON-DETERGENT only. I've found it gums up the intermittent after a long period of time.
That said, I have had very good luck with the synthetic oils, Mobil One or similar -- again, the lightest weight you can find and always NON-DETERGENT. Howard liked that stuff very much -- a good enough recommendation for me.
If you have down-angled projection very little oil is required in the mechanism's sump, just enough to cover the intake tube in the screen when running. The pick-up should be in the front of the machine, of course.
I'm not sure of the "whipping" noise. If this is an older Simplex, there's a governor on top of the vertical shaft that also splashes the oil around. If the governor and fire shutter have been removed, there is just an impeller up there to move oil. You might look at the little drip tube that drops oil into the intermittent, right next to the flywheel. If it's slightly mis-aligned it might run against the flywheel and make some noise not common to the machine. And if you're worried about a "whipping noise", you've got a very quiet machine and did a great job getting them together. So, how's the picture?
Best of luck...
Pat

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-17-2000 12:42 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, sounds like they didn't need the drive-in conversion. You will need it, though, if you're going to have a negative projection angle of more than a few degress.

Pat, is the drive-in oil "kit" still available for this machine?

Tim

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: