Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Booths in Schools, Libraries, etc. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Projection Booths in Schools, Libraries, etc.
Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 09:44 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the current discussion on "Booth Access By Ladder Only," John Walsh mentioned the small theatre in the library at Greenwich, Connecticut. John's reference reminded me of something that fascinates me, projection booths in buildings that were constructed for purposes other than commercial film exhibition. Places like libraries, museums, schools...

Of the many projection booths I've visited over the years, I've never had the opportunity to visit a booth in anything other than an indoor cinema or a drive-in theatre. However, the Eiki EX-6000 16mm machine I operated for a film series last year was supposedly originally installed in an auditorium at a state hospital, and when my wife (Debrean) and I were in college, the student union used to run 16mm films in the ballroom. They had an electric roll-up screen at one end of the room and a projection PLATFORM over the main entrance to the room. It wasn't an enclosed booth, just a platform with two portable machines.

Also, some friends of ours own an auction house (adjacent to their drive-in theatre) that used to have projection equipment to show cartoons to the kiddies while mom and dad went to the auction room next door to spend some cash. The kids shows were done in a small multi-purpose auditorium with a small stage. The projection room is still there and you can see the ports from the auditorium, but the equipment was removed probably about 30 years ago. Our friends told us they used to have two 16mm machines with arc lamps in the booth.

What other non-cinema buildings have you seen either 35mm or 16mm projection booths and movie screening auditoriums in? Are those booths still operational and used today?

I know that some museums and art galleries in the District of Columbia do film screenings and I've been meaning to go check out how they do their presentations. Hopefully not video!!! Since my full-time employment is as a federal cop in D.C., I usually am tired and anxious to escape back to suburbia after my tour of duty ends. Therefore I've never been too excited to spend anymore time in the District than I have too. My curiosity is getting the best of me now, however, so I'll have to start checking some of those places out.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-11-2000 10:22 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In DC, you must check out the US Navy Memorial--they have a 70mm film called "At Sea" that they show several times per day. It's produced by MacGillivray (sp?)-Freeman Films (who seem to mostly do IMAX shows now) and is pretty decent. The screen is 50+ feet wide and is deeply curved. The booth is funky, too--the film is on some sort of loop system and is cleaned as it runs. Sound is a pre-DTS digital system called "Threshold 3D Digital Sound" and provides six channels. It's definitely worth a look.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 12:04 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Washinton state, alot of Grange halls, Elks Lodges, community centers, prisons, juvenile detention facilities, and schools (built before 1960) had projection booths in them.
Many of the rural grange halls were built in the 30's and were the only public meeting places for miles, so they were equipped for showing movies.
Here in Olympia these schools were equipped with projection booths:
Old Washington Junior High (35mm, built in 1922)
Garfield Elementary (35mm, built in 1922)
Lincoln Elementary (35mm, built in 1922)
Michael T. Simmons Elementary (35mm, built in 1938)
Roosevelt Elementary (16mm, built in 1948).
I also have a set of blueprints detailing the 35mm booth construction of Nathan Hale Junior High School 3594 East Blvd, Cleveland, Ohio. Also included with it was a letter (dated 1949) from Motiograph detailing the lubrication of the school's brand new (then) Motiograph AA 35mm projectors!

I had a friend who about ten years ago got a Simplex Super from a local prison auction. It seems the prison had upgraded to an XL. Then about a year after that the prisoners rioted and destroyed the booth. So now they stay in their cells and watch video monitors.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 01:16 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In upstate New York Many mental hospitals and other institutions had 35mm equipment.When I started as a projectionist I worked in 2 NY state mental hospitals. One had Century C's,R5 soundheads and Strong Utility 1kw lamps. The other had Brenkert BX80's, RCA9030 soundheads and Morelite lamps. I also worked at the Masonic Home which had two sets of equipment: Century C's(with 4 inch lens mounts), R5 soundheads and Strong Super 135 lamps permanently installed in the main auditorium. There were also a pair of Holmes model 8's that were used in the hospital in the winter and moved 40 miles north to a Masonic camp in the summer.

------------------
Bob Throop

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 01:21 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a small town next to where I live now, called Molln (W-Germany) a state operated lung hospital used to have a projection facility above the main dining room. There was a small stage, which had a roller screen. Obviously the setupn was installed when the building was new in 1938, and used some very little known Bauer semi-portable Mazda lamp projectors, appearantly a type built for the Navy.
This remained in operation until the dining hall was "modernized", and brand new Kinotone FP 23 portables were bought in 1992.
They again bought 2000 ft projectors, as the equipment seller didn't tell them that there are larger reels allowed. So the government saved money, as they could re-use their existing 2000 ft house reels and 1938 flat lenses as well as the 1955 scopes.
The soundsystem also became modern, a railway station amplifier by Phillips and same type speakers, the federal railway system uses on their stations. Call it a rippoff... but the setup was never put into operation, as the architect simply forget to built a new projector room. After encountering that, the projectors were delivered, put in storage at the furnace room, until I got them about 5 years ago.
The now use videotape projection to entertain folks.
The first theatre I "owned" was situated on an army camp. You couldn't really say it was advertising for movies. They had 600 all wooden seats in 60 rows @ 10 seats per row, the screen was about 180 ft from the projection box. Picture size was a gigantic 9 ft wide, 6 ft high. Projection equipment was state of the art, at least when everything was built in 1935. Two Bauer Standard 5 with HI carbon arc, Dominar J pre war tube amplifier, Klangfilm field coil type speaker system with missing hf section.
The place was heated during summer, as the government people wanted to get rid of their stored fuel oil, and kept cold with a frost-watch in winters, as the winter might be colder than expected, and fuel oil use might then exeed scheduled use...

There have been many 35 mm setups in hospitals, universitiews, military facilities, office buildings,prisons, as well as rich people used to have 35 mm (mainly Bauer - Klangfilm) setups in their private homes during the 60's. They mainly were no collectors, the perojectionist came every second week or so, bringing in a new film. This was pre video age, what other way than screening 35 mm did you have to see recent film?

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 03:06 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Parma Sr. High School (Ohio), built in 1954 had a small and large auditorium. The small auditorium (called "little theater") had a single Brenkert/RCA 35mm set up. The large auditorium had (2) Brenkert/RCA 35mm machines. It's been so long ago, I can't remember the specific Brenkert model. The film magazines had the RCA "meatball" logo on them.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 04:56 PM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about an open air cinema - very popular here in Greece in summertime (remember Cinema Paradiso)for the last..hmm 70 years - but in a schoolyard. Well its a municipal open air cinema where the booth is actually a classroom oposite to the screen. Philips FP56 projector with glorious carbon arc lamp , but Irem rectifier, brand new. Plain stereo sound system and..thats all. I did the complete installation with existing equipment (well I had to put the rectifier because the old one just can not give the amps required to illuminate the screen at 45 meters (sorry no feet here)). Maybe some pictures would be nice for the picture gallery of Film-Tech.
Christos.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2000 05:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the venues at the Telluride Film festival are in the high school. One in a small gym and another in a very very large gym. They both use Century's (one of the booths has two JJ's). It is actually the most comfortable place to work, since there is lots of room, although it is located far away from the other 5 venues.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 09:33 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The National Geographic Society has a very nice multipurpose auditorium/screening room. 35mm is only run occasionally, but it looks great there. They can also run 16mm, and video projection.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-11-2000 11:00 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got to my junior high school in 1969, I wa in the AV club (Audio-Visual.) They were using a regular old B&H in our auditorium with those big tungsten bulbs (with the filiment that went up and down several times to light the aperture.) They would just place it in the back of the auditorium and turn the volume way up. I noticed there were port windows way up on the wall in the back.

After watching people run one reel out, stopping to thread the next, I made a little switch box to do a c/o. It just switched 110VAC from one plug to another which I did when the reel ran out- I didn't even know about c/o marks! The first time I used it, I forgot that the tubes for the amplifier had to warm up, so there was no sound. But, about 2 months after that, we got the newer versions with transistor amps, so it worked OK.

About a year later, I met a guy named Bill who had gone to my junior high school. He was about 10 years older than I. I told him about the B&H projectors and my switch. He said that was cool, but, "What happened to the two 16mm arc projectors?" I didn't even know what an arc projector was. He told me how they were brighter, etc. I got the AV teacher to let me in to that room in the back of the auditorium. It was a real booth, with fire shutters, projector and spotlight ports, a relay box for c/o's and a wire to the stage for a speaker. The room was jammed with books. In the corner, there they were; two RCA projectors. They had been smashed to shit. I asked if we could project the films from there, and was told no (on the spot) because the library dept. was storing books there, and did not want to give up the space. I thought that was a little strange, because this teacher didn't have anything to do with the library dept- how did she know? I then asked if I could fix the projectors, and the teacher said no because "... they are really dangerous." I said I had met a guy who used to use them; he can show me. The teacher then said there's no money to fix them.

You know how the older you get, the more *aware* you are of things around you? Right then I knew that no matter what I said, she did not want to be bothered. It is a strange realization when you're a kid, and suddenly understanding "grown-up" concepts- like getting the brush-off. If I said I would pay for the parts, I bet she still would have said no. I quit the AV club about a week later.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 11:16 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Huntington,WV over the weekend and they do "Starlight Cinema" outside on the riverfront in Harris Riverfront Park. I talked to the projectionist who let me look around. An old ORC lamphouse (about 1,000-2,000w bulb my guess,only had a minute) a Century projector and an EPRAD dbl-mut for film delivery. It's free and open to the public. Bring a lawn chair or blanket.

The projection "room" was nothing more than a tent with the end flap open on one side. Sound was over a PA system,and an elaborate screen was setup in their ampatheater.

--Chris

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2000 06:55 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christos brings up a good point about the open air cinemas of some of the warm climate countries, especially his country, Greece. It's been years since I saw the movie "Summer Lovers" but I seem to recall a scene where the guy and two girls are watching a film at an outdoor amphitheatre at night. A Three Stooges flick dubbed in Greek I think! I've been fascinated by the concept of outdoor walk-in theatres ever since.

I seem to recall that Baltimore's "Little Italy" film festival was started last year after a local resident went to visit her family in Italy and saw folks watching films in the town square.

Obviously people in the U.S. like watching films outdoor, the drive-in theatre was concieved here and at one time there were well over 4,000 in operation. Also, "airdomes," walk-in outdoor theatres were common in the heyday day of the movie palace, either in conjunction with a particular indoor theatre for shows during warm weather in the pre-air conditioning days or as a stand-alone business. I've often wondered why we don't see more permanent outdoor amphitheatres for cinema in this country. Not necessarily for first run product but possibly for classics or art films. Maybe they're out there but just not common in the part of the country I'm most familiar with.

I guess it could be because of land values, the same issue challenging existing drive-ins in many areas of the country, but I've seen some public parks that would be ideal for regular outdoor film presentations. Come to think of it, I don't think there has been a park, campground or vacant piece of land that I HAVEN'T mentally sized-up for an outdoor screen and projection booth during the last ten years!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-13-2000 08:01 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to service the 35mm booth at Mars Hill College, in Mars Hill, NC. They had a beautiful, complete XL booth with Magnarcs. Nothing had more than a handful of hours on it, so they still looked brand new; just like you stepped back into 1956. It was in pristine condition. Sadly, it's all gone now.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2000 08:24 AM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to think of another nice location I have helped to set up about 6 years ago. Within the northern Italien town of Scena there is a castle owned by count of Merano. During summers they show movies within the castleyard. The installation uses a Dresden 35 mm D11 projector with 2500 W Xenon. It is installed within a former storage room on the castle's first floor. One of the small window glasses (probably from 1700, and of no optical grade) was replaced with optical floatglass, and that's the porthole.
The rectifier is a very bulky 3 phase transducer control type with aluminium wire transformers. This limits ashowtime to 50 minutes, but all Italien cinemas use breaks at half of the films to sell Sodas and sweets.
We installed a mechanical /torque motor) spool tower to accomodate 9000 ft spools.
Sound is CP 55 with railway station type power amps and EV PA type cabinets on stage.

It is a very marvelous place to watch your favorite Dracula movie at night.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-13-2000 08:45 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aluminium wire transformers! No wonder they were bulky.

Gotta admit though, those Italians know how to live....

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: