Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strange Drive-in story (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Strange Drive-in story
Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2000 10:03 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Tonight (Friday) in the local news, the only D-I theater left in the mountains of Western NC announced that it was not going to open this weekend as scheduled. Apparently this is supposed to be big news around here.

In the story, the owners of the Waynesville Drive-In dont have enough people employed there to get the place open. I have never met these people. They are an old couple. She has a huge beehive-type hair-do.

I am thinking of riding the 35 miles out there and see what they are trying to do over the weekend.

It was strange seeing the field, some car speakers on the stands, and no shots of the equipment. Our local station has never been one to "get the facts"

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-09-2000 10:21 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd drive the 35 miles if I were you. Being an older couple, they may be in need of a helping hand.

If you go, let us know what happened.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2000 12:04 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Bruce, please go there and see what can be done. And don't forget to take pictures!

Suggest that they ask for volunteers from the community (local high school?). They could even put a message asking for help on the marquee.

See if they have a tube amplifier for the speakers.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2000 03:58 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the McGee family reunion this morning. On the way back this afternoon, after eating waaay too much fried chicken, roast beef, cornbread, green beans, and macaroni and cheese, I waddled over to the drive-in. I couldn't find a soul anywhere. There's a HELP WANTED sign on the marquee. I left a note on the doors to the consession stand, and the box office to call me, and I listed what I could do.

I wanted to have a look at the equipment, but they have metal doors over the ports.

I'll try again. I'm going back to Waynesville tomorrow and see what happens then.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 08:43 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I photographed the Waynesville Drive-In a couple of years ago while we were visiting North Carolina drive-in theatres. There wasn't anybody around when we got there, about mid-day, so we were only able to get pics over the fence. It looked like a nice little rural drive-in, however. It is picturesque, also. I can still remember all the adjacent farmland and seeing cattle grazing not far from the screen tower.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 03:06 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EUREKA!

I conneced with the owners of the theater today, and got the grand tour. They are running 6000' reels on a pair of Simplex XL's with Strong 60-B 4000 watt xenon, with the original Ballantyne sound system and amplifiers feeding the 15 rows of speakers.

The scope lenses are B&L with red rings. Unknown prime lenses.

Everything is glorious MONO, including the FM sound from Radio Shack.

About half of the window speakers are bad because he cant find 4" replacements anymore. Many of the speakers (mostly Eprad) have been stolen over the years, but the screen is in good shape, the lamps are new, and the sound optics are clean.

Radio sound is decent. We fired up a reel of something that is used for testing. My car stereo sounded good.

The reason that they did not open last weekend is because the entire consession staff quit, following the lead of one girl.

I am now the relief projectionist there. I am also going to attempt to find the cause of the slight hum in the Ballantyne amp.

HEY KEN!!! ITS ALL TUBES!!! HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!!!!

One good thing is that I have many of the tubes that the system uses on hand!!!

I'm gonna have fun this summer.

Anybody got any ideas where we mignt find speakers???

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-11-2000 03:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to worry, Ken will soon be around to find your speaker replacements.

Get pics for us please.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce:
15 rows! Wow! Must be a pretty big drive in? Our field at the Skyline only has 10 rows.

Hum in the sound? Do the speaker junction boxes have lights in them? If so, try turning off the lights and see if the hum goes away. If it does, then you have bad wiring in the field (light circuit is leaking to ground) or a lamp socket wire touching something it shouldn't inside one of the junction boxes. If the hum is still there after isolating the lamp circuit, then check to see if the Radio Shack FM transmitter could be the cause by removing it from the circuit. If it's still there after all that, then check the amplifier power supply (rectifier tubes and filter caps).
We have mostly Eprad speakers and ALL Eprad "Glo-Top" lighted juntion boxes at the Skyline. I just got finished installing and repairing 100 speakers with parts I got from SPECO (Systems & Products Engineering Company). For the replacement 4" cones order # 9137-C and SPECIFY YOU WANT THE LONG HOLD DOWN SPRINGS WITH THEM TO USE ON EPRAD SPEAKERS.
Here is drivein speaker parts suppliers:
Speco
1-800-633-5913
(913) 321-3978
fax:913-321-7439

Projected Sound
(317) 839-4111
fax: 317-839-2476

Reed Speaker Mfg
(520) 453-0055
(805) 934-1582
fax: 805-934-4992
Ask for Shawn Gran and yes those 2 different area codes are correct!

I wish I could come out and help you at the drivein. We could have a real blast!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-11-2000 03:56 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bruce, talk about hitting paydirt! I am supremely jealous of you. (Ahhh...the view of a Drive In screen at dusk...)

Keep posting updates. How many posts to a row on an average? What's the population it services?

Good Luck!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2000 09:15 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I go back to the theater, I will carry a regular 35mm camera and take photos, if it's OK with the owner. I'll tell him about the speaker dudes, Ken. There are no lights in the field. The hum sounds like a bad cap to me. Was told that other than tubes, there's only been one repair on the Ballantyne amps. I was told that somewhere there is a picture of the original Ballantyne projectors and lamphouses just after the installation. The booth is a mess. Old and junky. He uses yellow tape.

I was telling him about polyester film. He said that film is film to him.

There will be lots more to come, I hope.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2000 05:33 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Bruce! It sounds like they need a professional film handler there, someone with the interest and aptitude to give patrons the best possible image and sound. Definately keep us updated on how things are going. I'm also jealous!

Dave Bird
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2000 07:31 AM      Profile for Dave Bird   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, very interesting stash of equipment there. I just bought roughly the same equipment from a theatre to be demolished here in Canada. The magazines are 2000' though, and I've got two arc lamps (Futura 2's) that I can't run (on single phase), but B&L lenses, same "glorious" MONO sound, only AM not FM. My purpose is to learn how to run this stuff by putting 'er all back together. Are 6000 foot magazines enclosed
like the smaller ones (and do they look as cool)?

Somebody contacted me once about this theatre you speak of, heard I was a drive-in
"expert". Well, I'm a real fan for sure, and
I tried to refer her to some people who could help. I'm sure glad to hear that it will survive. You guys will have a lot of fun with it. Thanks for allowing me to participate in your forum.

------------------
Dave Bird

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2000 08:50 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce:

If you can, get the model numbers of the Ballantyne tube amplifiers. Also if there is any schematics and/or manuals, photocopy them and send them in for posting. I already have the Ballantyne T-25 amplifier stuff posted here.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2000 11:24 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to get to know these folks a little before I go listing every single piece of their equipment on the net. He has never done business this way. AND I dont want to scare him away from me. After all, I met them Sunday. I suspect that there is a manual for the B's there. There's an original XL manual, and one for the lamphouses. I'm just dying to get into the equipment and oil all of the motors and stuff, clean the volume controls, etc.

I "Mis-Spoke" the number of rows. I believe it is more like 8 rows. When I go back, I will do a complete count of posts. There are several rows that dont work. On looking, its probably just the bad flex cables on the speakers. Some are rotton. Mr CLARK, the owner, said that most people anymore just use the radio sound. BUT I will fix any speakers that I can, after I give him the list of numbers that you sent me, Ken, here at Film-Tech.

I think this is going to be a fun summer.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-12-2000 05:32 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce:
If you plan on working on the speakers, you will need to order the special tamperproof screwdrivers to get inside which can be ordered from SPECO or REED.
What I have found that goes bad with the speakers is these:
1. Cords
2. Cone units
3. Volume controls

Bad cords usually cause a totally dead speaker or intermittent operation. A bad cone will sound bad (rattles, muffled, or distorted). Sometimes a bad volume control will cause a dead speaker, but mostly I just spray the control with some Nu-Trol Control Cleaner. I haven't had to replace many volume controls.
I always check the condition of the transformer in the junction box, too with an ohmmeter as these can sometimes go bad (open).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: