Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Standee's- Thank God for UNIVERSAL!!

Author Topic: Standee's- Thank God for UNIVERSAL!!
Barron Dripp
Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2000 08:37 AM      Profile for Barron Dripp   Email Barron Dripp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently been elected the job at my theatre of putting together every single standee that we get in, from that huge ass Patriot standee, the the Titan AE, to the Loser standee. But, the easiest one that I have ever put together had to be The Klumps, which, although the shipping cost UV almost 300 bucks UPS because of it akward size, it was a simple slot A-in-B job that took all of about 25 minutes. This was too damn good. All the screw holes lined up, all the tabs lined up, it was great. It should be that easy with ALL standees. (Yeah, Me, Myself and Irene, god what a bi*ch that was!)

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-03-2000 09:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$300 to ship a standee?!?! Ouch! If the theatre owners are paying for this, then it's no wonder that the industry is in financial trouble!

On the other hand, theatres that actually do get these things should probably be glad that they do. Anyone who's worked in an art or rep house knows all too well how hard it is to get distributors to even send a lousy poster (much less trailers, banners, etc.) for many titles.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2000 07:05 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sort of off topic for this forum, but I do assemble standees when I have time. When I first started in the business years ago, it was fun and a time killer, now it's a pain in the ass.
I ended up throwing Me Myself and Irene in the dumpster(keeping the light fixture, of course). The instructions were wrong, and the parts were mislabeled.
I believe the studio foots the bill for shipping in most cases. I still don't understand why NSS still charges $5 or $6 for one sheets-it's advertising material, for God's sake!!!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2000 09:17 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standees suck! 90% of them are a waste of a good tree. Ever notice that the largest standees always feature Hollywood's biggest tree-huggers? (Things that make you go "humm"). The other 10% are nice to look at but still suck. A parting thought, the engineers who design standees must also be the same guys who make reels for New Line.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2000 10:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to know everyone else had trouble with Irene, I thought I was doing it wrong.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2000 06:59 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was so pissed after trying to put the Irene standee together that I called the manufacturer and reamed them for making a piece of garbage(the light didn't work either). They asked if I wanted a replacement, but I told them I wouldn't even attempt to put together another one.
The Titan AE standee is one of the best I've ever seen(UHF is still my all time favorite), though it was very time consuming to assemble.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2000 04:35 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God, I've been working at a revival house for too long. I actually miss putting together standees now...

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2000 10:18 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
after seeing the mess some of our staff made of the Irene standee, I took it on myself to build the Pokemon 2000 standee. It is engineered sturdier than some skyscrapers. let us see if it truly can withstand the hands of 2 months of child patrons

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2000 06:00 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robb, don't blame your staff for the Irene standee-the instructions were all wrong, and the parts don't fit together right. The Pokemon standee was easy until the wings at the top-I put them together upside down-I'm sure some smart ass five year old will notice.
Today's project is the Thomas The Tank Engine standee. My son who works at another theatre said it was easy. That remains to be seen.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: