Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Tim Reed's Video "How an Intermittent Works"

Author Topic: Tim Reed's Video "How an Intermittent Works"
Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 10:13 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
Very nicely done. I have to ask, what software and computer did you use for the graphics, both the logo and the animation? Now if you and Joe could colaborate we would have an intermittent with blood dripping from the sprocket.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-03-2000 03:16 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not Tim, but I'll pretend I am just for now

I think Tim used Ray Dream Studio to do that. I have no clue if he used the Mac or PC version, though.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-03-2000 09:27 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Pete! Glad you liked it! Joe's right, I used Ray Dream Studio 5 for all the graphics, on my PC. The logo (which, BTW, you only see the last few seconds of) is about 95% RayFlect's "4-elements" terrain extension (plug-in). I cut the picture, added music, sound effects, and a temporary narration track in Media Studio Pro 5.2. This is the most versatile editing software I've seen. You really can do ANYTHING with it (and much more than you see in the clip)!

Bloody intermittent... that's good.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-03-2000 11:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, how long did that take to render? Did you do it on just one computer, or did you set up a render farm?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-03-2000 11:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The full logo (30 secs long, w/lots of objects and lights) took about 24 hours to render at 352 x 240. The geneva animation took just two or three hours for each view, as I only had to render one revolution per static camera position (the early animation experience paid off here ). But some shots had to be changed and re-rendered several times, to get the behaviors right... so one object wouldn't "bounce" the other off-axis. If you look closely at the outer bearing in the closeup, you'll see such an error; one I didn't bother to fix because it wasn't important. The longest camera move (the exploding case, I believe it was) took about 6 1/2 hours to render, all at 352 x 240 dpi.

I only have the one computer, a PII/266, 32MB RAM. Matrox Rainbow Runner Studio video capture/playback. HD is Seagate 4GB, SCSI. I know, I need to upgrade bad... a Medea 51GB/4 video server is next, as soon as I save up an extra $1,500.

For my next trick, I plan on doing a similar animation showing a pin-cross movement. Always wanted to see that. And then, a high-speed movement, and a 3/2 movement, and a push-pull, etc, etc, etc...

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-04-2000 08:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whne do we get the powers movement and maybe after a few scotchs we can get the famous "Drunken Screw Movement" that phillips used on some of there 16mm machines

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-04-2000 10:55 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Powers movement was a pin-cross. That's next.

Lessee... drunken-screw.... got it! But only if you're buyin'!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-04-2000 11:32 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim what happened to the drivein screensaver?
I had to format a harddrive and lost it
I am looking for the Hycan book. They are still sought after by ILM as they take MP carbons that are ideal for process work

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-04-2000 03:23 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, don't know about a d/i screensaver. You must have me confused with Tim Thompson of the driveintheater.com site, seems like I heard he had something like that a while back. (My website was driveinworkshop.com.)

Thanks for lookin' for the Hy-Candescent book for me, I really, really appreciate it!!! I hear those lamps had a beautiful flat field. There were a pair in operation at the Director's Guild as recently as several years ago, that's what I heard, anyway.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Joe Smith
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2000 06:06 PM      Profile for Joe Smith   Email Joe Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Not to change the subject, but:

When is Something Exciting about to happen?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-05-2000 05:56 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See post #5 of this topic, second paragraph, above.

I didn't realize so many people remembered my website!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: