Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Braintree 10, Braintree MA-YOU SUCK!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Braintree 10, Braintree MA-YOU SUCK!!
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 08:53 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all you bastards can't get your film (Time Code) tore down fast enough so we don't get it until 1:35 for a 1:30 show, thanks . On top of that the leaders are masking taped on, you used a random mix of yellow, zebra, and clear splicing tape, and you makred your reels with shoe polish AND yellow tape. You didn't even bother to put the paper bands back on, just stuffed them in the can. Thanks for nothing.

|  IP: Logged

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 10:31 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Braintree a General Enema theatre?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2000 02:44 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Reject the print and absolutely refuse to play it. Have a dark screen...no money for the studio! When that theater gets the bill from the studio, they will learn. Otherwise, nothing and I do mean absolutely NOTHING will be done.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2000 03:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a General Enema theatre. But before you get too upset with them, it might just be someone from floor staff doing the film work there.
That is if they are going the non union route back East as they are doing out West, the union guy might not even be doing film work any more. I work for GC in California, and I only have 25 hours a week. I pretty much demand that I do the film work so that I don't have to correct other people's mistakes.
I know that other GC managers out here are surprised that noone else at my theatre knows how to do film work

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2000 07:06 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At one time GCC Braintree was home to most of the private screenings for bookers and the like in New England. I can't imagine they'd have projectionists who are that careless...
I worked for GCC back in 1990, so when the Braintree cinema opened, my wife and I were invited to a reception at the facility about two weeks before it was open to the public. At that time, it was a state of the art facility. I can't imagine how they even stay in business now, with Hoyts Randolph cinema about ten minutes away-all stadium, all digital.
At one time, General Cinema OWNED New England, now they fail to even make an impact-whatever happened to the facility in The Fenway?

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2000 08:51 AM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randolph is a National Amusement theater. The Hoyts that was supposed to be built in Stoughton (about .25 mi. from the NA Randolph near Sears and BJ's) never got off the ground once National Amusements started their project.

The GCC in the old Sears building in the Fenway area is under construction now. Supposedly opening this summer.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2000 01:04 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting my manager to reject the print on the grounds of masking tape and shitty splices? A snowball has a better chance in hell. Do it myself you say? I already went behind his back and ordered a replacement reel for a movie another idiot at our theatre destroyed, I want to keep my job you know and doing something like that a second time probably wouldn't go over well.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2000 10:47 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I watched some parts of it too. There are horizontal yellow scratches all over the print. Big ones that go all away across the screen .

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-03-2000 11:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - just be glad that Regal and AMC haven't yet invaded the northeast US...

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2000 06:56 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From everything I've heard about Randolph(what made me think that was Hoyts?) and the renovations in Seekonk, Revere, and Warwick, it would appear that Sumner Redstone is looking to control all of New England. When you think of it, who has the money to compete with him? Hey, at least they're giving people the ameneties they want. GCC is living in the 80's, at least in this area.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-04-2000 07:35 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to the new NA in Randolph, but I will mention that National Amusements has its share of "dumps" as well: the NA Circle Cinema in Brookline and the NA Showcase Dedham come to mind--both feature the worst in late '70s/early '80s multiplex design, with their long, narrow auditoria, extremely minimalist design with no curtains or any attempt to make the interior attractive, and oversized lobbies. The Showcase Woburn was recently "upgraded" to compete with the GCC Burlington 10; of course, though, they spent all the money on improving the lobby and concession stand and barely touched the auditoria themselves.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 06-04-2000 08:20 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know I'm just opening myself up for a n attack... BUUUT ---

What's so wrong with masking tape? Wouldn't you rather have an idication that a popcorn kid broke down the movie or would you rather be fooled by having them splice the leader on?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-04-2000 10:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Masking tape leaves a nasty residue after a day's worth of sitting. Add the heat of a hot exchange to that and by the time the next fellow gets the print, he must cut off several frames to rid himself of the sticky goo that would almost certainly cause a brain wrap. Masking tape simply cannot be cleaned off very satisfactorily. Also, many kids overlap the film several frames to a foot when they tape the leaders back on and cause the film to fold over leaving a nice crease.

Frank Rapisardi
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2000 05:26 AM      Profile for Frank Rapisardi   Email Frank Rapisardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NA(National Amusements.)The company is aggressively replacing,rebuilding,expanding all over the world!National Amusements is the parent company of Viacom.They own almost everything!CBS.t.v,Paramount Pictures,Showtime and the Movie Channel,Nickalodian t.v. Paramount theme parks,Blockbuster Video and the list goes on and on.Who can compete against them!They have VERY DEEP POCKETS! When they build or remodel theaters;it's usually done only because of coming competition.In Methuen Ma.;Loews is building a 20 plex.So Lawrence Ma;just 5 miles away now has been remodeled.In Randolph Ma.Showcase build a beauty.Hoyts was going to build near them but backed out.Rumor is NA gave the town of Randolph a gift of $350,000 to do whatever they wanted with it.(SOUNDS LIKE A BRIBE TO ME!) but it workrd.Within two weeks they had their permits.Dedham,The Circle,The Allston cinemas will never be replaced unless someone else comes in with grand plans to build,The Revere Showcase is now 20 screens.This came about because of the coming General Cinema in the Sears building.So comments about National Amusements are correct.They soon will own not every major theater in the Norteast,but rater everything all over the world having to do with the entertainment business!P.S.Sumner Redstone(Gemstone) has left the running of the cinema division up to his daughter Shari.

------------------

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2000 03:37 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deep pockets indeed. You can see it for yourself just by walking into the lobby in Revere. 27" flat panel displays playing music videos...food court with just about every type of fast food...neon all over the walls...and what about that 20 foot wide Ben Hur poster (pretty scary when your lobby decorations are bigger than some chains screens).

And in the booth, EX in every house...just in case there are more than a half dozen films a year with EX encoding.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: