Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX Simpsons (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: THX Simpsons
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-02-2000 08:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiya

I wonder if anyone has one of these they would like to part with? I've been after one for a while now, but there aren't too many (read 'none') THX approved theatres around in Australia anymore. The last one in Sydney closed about one month ago, and I'm not even sure it had kept up its certification.(Maybe David Kilderry would know)

I will pay for postage if you can help out. Thanks.

------------------
"I heard a voice behind me say...'Reach for it, Mister'... I spun around...found myself face to face...with a six year old kid! Well I just threw my guns down, walked away... LITTLE BASTARD SHOT ME IN THE ASS!"

Gene Wilder - Blazing Saddles

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-02-2000 09:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Related question: do they make this in Dolby SR? Or maybe even SR-D? I've only seen Dolby A of "THX - Simpsons," which is probably why it doesn't get shown very much anymore...why use an inferior format to demonstrate the superiority of your theatre's sound system?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-02-2000 10:28 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, thought I had a bite. Are they not in sr-d? I notice on our dts discs for MI-2, the simpsons trailer is not included. Perhaps the rights have expired.

------------------
"I heard a voice behind me say...'Reach for it, Mister'... I spun around...found myself face to face...with a six year old kid! Well I just threw my guns down, walked away... LITTLE BASTARD SHOT ME IN THE ASS!"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2000 02:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
THX Simpsons was originally released with an A track. A couple of years back they made another run and these were in SR. They have never been made in digital, nor in scope format.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-03-2000 03:26 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THX Simpsons is now in all digital formats, but still only available in FLAT!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2000 04:43 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

How recent are the digital prints?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-03-2000 04:48 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been noticing them for the last 3 or 4 years maybe (hard to say). I'll check my THX order form. It may be SR only, I am not too sure now... but I could swear I have seen it on the DTS trailer discs many times.

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2000 05:12 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

THX is alive in Australia! (although I wouldn't say well!)

Village Centre Bourke Street Melbourne Cinemas 1, 2, 3 & 4 are all THX. Village Knox cinemas 3, 5, 6 & 8 are THX and Ballarat Cinema 1.

Nothing beats the THX TEX logo in digital. We have retained all of our THX logos from opening in 1986 in storage, including several Simpsons. These are not for sale or trade as we respect the THX agreements with which they are issued to us under.

We did have a training day recently where we ran all of the THX trailers we have in all formats including SDDS and Dolby Digital, we also ran some 70mm for comparison.

In my view the most impressive sounding logo on the day was the 70mm 6 track magnetic original THX "Blue Box" - it just goes right through you with the fader up on 8! (I don't want to start this argument again, but magnetic when set-up right, still sounds very impressive).

David

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-05-2000 07:20 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David

Good to hear about the THX's. Do they actually keep up the certification or do they just still have it from the old days.

Thanks for commenting on the tags, pity you can't 'lose' one.

I'll try and get a transfer of my DI tags and send you one. I'll let you know when I get it done.

------------------

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2000 12:53 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to the Sound Formats of the THX - Simpsons trailer, they have been printed in QUAD (SRD, SDDS, DTS, SR)for at least the last three years. I still have the original four we were issued when my current theatre opened in June of '97. Granted, I don't think anyone would want them for collecting purposes, as they have all been well used. I too have noticed that these trailers have dropped off the DTS discs recently!?! Not sure when though...

-Mike

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2000 06:16 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,

THX re-certification is certainly required and the guidelines are not only strict, they change!

Bourke Street City Centre required work to HVAC systems last year to comply. George Street cinema one was due recently but it was not carried out due to the iminent closure of that complex and the redevelopement of the new Village-Hoyts Centre.

GUET are the service company in Australia who do the re-certifications. THX technicians have also have visited in recent years.

David

Marty Hacker
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2000 03:31 PM      Profile for Marty Hacker   Email Marty Hacker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone that has a Simpson's trailer.......
Lock em up! Bury them! Bronze them!

They are no longer available and have been discontinued for at least a couple of years.
Any order forms with them on it are OLD order forms.

If you need THX trailers and are THX certified contact THX for them. As far as I have been led to believe: "Every auditorium is entitled to 8 THX trailers per year as long as it is THX certified." For a 14 plex that is is 112 trailers a year.(try and get this deal out of DOLBY) That should be enough for almost all major blockbusters that come out throughout the year and NO EXCUSES with THX trailers being in crappy condition. If anyone is in doubt of this please contact your theater rep or get someone with guts to look into it. Any theater that is THX looking to get THX trailers should have no problem in getting them. I have been ordering and reordering them for the last 3 years and have never been let down.
Again the Simpsons are no more....
Simpsons on EBAY???? HUH?
Marty

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-06-2000 04:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, THX is excellent about sending out plenty of trailers. It also gives you the opportunity to order different ones so you can keep a variety going. Personally, I like their latest remix on the "Broadway" the best (multi track version).

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2000 04:53 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the THX Simpsons is on our trailer discs.

Karen at DTS

Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2002 03:18 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Karen: I noticed that in 2000, you stated the Simpsons trailer was included on the trailer disc. Since THX Ltd. has re-issued this trailer a couple of months ago, when will it be back on the trailer disc?

Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: