Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SMART SG 1130B Stereo Generator (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: SMART SG 1130B Stereo Generator
Luther M. Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2000 04:35 PM      Profile for Luther M. Spencer   Email Luther M. Spencer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need A Manual for the Smart SG1130B Stereo Generator...On its use and hook up...can anyone help?...Can you hook the Solar Cell Directly to the Cell input or do you need a pre-amp..in between?..MIKE

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-01-2000 05:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Luther,
Want another one? I've had one kicking around now for a long time.
Mark

Luther M. Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2000 06:11 PM      Profile for Luther M. Spencer   Email Luther M. Spencer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark...Actually I already have 2 I just need to know how to use them...I would like to find the operating manual...Mike

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2000 11:21 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that there were two versions of that generator. If your unit has a fader, then yes, connect the cell directly to the inputs. If there is no fader on the unit, it was designed to be used with another processor (usually the SR-300).

If you are going to build a system with it, Smart also had a three channel, full octave equalizer called the EQ-600. I have even used them to eq the surround channel on old Dolby CP-50s back in the days before Dolby incorporated surround eq into their processors.

Smart, btw, is one of the easiest companies to work with when it comes time to repair something that is no longer in production. I bet if I could dig up a broken SR-130, Oscar would fix it for me.

Russ

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2000 11:30 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree that Smart is a good company to deal with. They will go out of their way to help you.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 06:22 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luther,

I can get you a manual. I have already e-mailed you this morning asking for your address for shipping.

Russ is correct. The SG1130B will directly accept a solar cell connection. It can be used as a standalone 4 channel stereo synthesizer for mono prints.

We made a version called called SG1130BX (no solar cell input and no fader) which had to be used with an existing stereo processor .

Let me know if you have any questions about the product. Believe it or not, we still have a few of these in stock, and we occasionally sell one. In fact we have sold a couple with Panastereo processors. Talk about the old with the new!!

Best regards,

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 06:28 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russ,

You are correct! We still repair SR130 processors. Believe it or not, there are still quite a few of these old things in service today, and we occasionally get one back for repair. Basically, as long as we can get parts, we will repair pretty much anything we ever made.

I have been here for almost 18 years, and the SR130 was obsolete when I came to work here. But we still fix them.

One day we may stop repairing some of the older stuff, but as of now we still do it.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-02-2000 06:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar,

If you will send that manual (and any others you have) to me, we will be pleased to host the downloads here for everyone.

My address is: Flix@film-tech.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2000 08:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar, I guess 18 years is pretty good. I guess there can't be anything bad said about a product built with parts from Radio Shack
Mark

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 08:31 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Mark, you got to get your parts from wherever you can Besides, Radio Shack has long been known for supplying premium parts at a low cost to manufacturers!!

Brad, I have been meaning to start supplying you with some manuals. Do you want the actual manuals, or do you want ready-to-go pdf files, or what? I can do pdf's if that will help. Unfortunately, most of the older manuals were not done on modern computer programs which allow easy conversion to pdf. So, I will probably have to scan them and then convert the image files to pdf. However, the newer manuals (for the last several years) can be easily converted. It will just take a little time to do. Fortunately, some are already done.

I will work on it in my "SPARE" time.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Luther M. Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 02:19 PM      Profile for Luther M. Spencer   Email Luther M. Spencer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks eveyone for your help...And Oscar I have emailed my address and thank you again...MIKE

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2000 03:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar,
I really don't have any problem with where the parts come from. Your stuff has always been reliable for me....especially the Mod 2's. I have a quote out right now for a MOD 2 DIT in fact.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-02-2000 03:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar,

If you've got manuals that were originated in electronic form and can easily convert them to pdf, by all means please do. If you've got paper manuals, please send me single sided photocopies of them as opposed to scanning them in and then converting them. If an image file is converted to pdf, the file size is roughly 10 times over what it needs to be. I will convert those directly into pdf format.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-02-2000 05:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Oscar,
I dug out my SG-1130 to send to someone. I noticed that there is one Reticon chip in it and two modules. Are these parts still available if there is a problem?
Mark

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-02-2000 05:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken Said:
"Yes, I agree that Smart is a good company to deal with. They will go out of their way to help you."

Then when I called Smart about 4 years ago with questions about one of their music distribution units (a 1987 model) the first thing the person told me was 'Are you SURE its a product of ours?'

However, I did get manuals for the MOD II's I was installing, and got to talk to a much friendler operator, Megan, who has the cutest Georgia (Jaw-Juh!) accent, and was so helpful... Whenever I have to call Smart Devices, i request to talk to Megan

(BTW, I never did get the info i requested on the music distro unit (which by now has gone to the giant Ebay auction in the sky))

Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: