Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Screwed By A Super-Simplex (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Screwed By A Super-Simplex
Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 07:30 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of rebuilding a Super Simplex and managed to break the screw that holds on the lower sprocket. (see pics below). Any ideas on how to get this thing off? The gear on the other end of the shaft doesn't want to move either. Am I SOL?

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA www.thelyric.com

Erich Loepke
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 07:45 PM      Profile for Erich Loepke   Email Erich Loepke   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's something you might want to try if you have space in the mechanism to do it: Use a small pin punch and hammer and tap on the edge of the broken screw head and see if it will loosen up enough to remove it with pliers or a pair of tweezers. Give the screw a good shot of penetrating oil (I use LPS 2).

Failing that, the only other thing I can think of is to drill out the screw and run a tap through the threads in the sprocket shaft to clean them out.

I'm cleaning up my Motiograph AAA (no broken screws yet, fingers crossed). I'm running into my fair share of disassembly problems, though, like stuck gears and taper pins that just won't come out. Anyone know how to get the intermittent sprocket off this beast? The AA manual shows a slightly different construction than what I have.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-29-2000 08:09 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy small left-hand drills. Use an automatic center punch and punch a dimple as close to the center as you can. If the broken surface is uneven, you might be able to put a dimple in the center by holding the punch on an angle.

Get a small left-hand drill and drill carefully into the screw at the dimple. If it's not actually jammed in there, it might come out just while drilling. Otherwise, anfter you've drilled a small hole, try a larger one until the hole is large enough to use an easy-out.

Luther M. Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 08:13 PM      Profile for Luther M. Spencer   Email Luther M. Spencer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this happen before..On a different kind of machine,,,.What I did (Of course it might ruin the sprocket)..But if your careful it shouldn't.....Was to use a dremel with a thin cutting wheel and cut a new slot deeper..In the screw....Then use a good screwdriver to take it out..Hope this helps.....I just Rebuilt a Early Model Ballantyne ( Made like a Super Simplex,,,Uses the same Intermittant and gears) Runs like a charm!!!...Mike

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 08:14 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin,
There is a tool called an "easy-out" available from machine tool suppliers and better auto parts stores. They come in various sizes. The way it works is you drill a hole in the screw slightly smaller than the threads. Then screw the "easy-out" into the hole counter-clockwise. In theory, the tool will grab the inside of the screw and un-thread it. I've had mixed results with these, but if you stay away from the cheap copies they work pretty well. By the way, that's a great restoration at the Lyric Theatre. You all are to be congratulated.

Pete

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2000 06:30 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the tips guys. I can grip it pretty well with a pair of pliers so I'll buy some penetrating oil today and let it sit overnight and then hopefully I'll be able to get it out. If not, I guess I'll have to drill it out.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2000 07:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'll give you a heck of a deal on a new X-L Head. That Super saw its useful life end at least several decades ago.
Mark

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2000 07:33 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, but we plan on using the Super as a working display unit in the lobby, unless you'd like to donate the XL...

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Luther M. Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2000 01:03 PM      Profile for Luther M. Spencer   Email Luther M. Spencer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MARK...What is a heck of a deal...on the XL?..........MIKE

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-30-2000 02:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a dremel tool and a small cutting bit to cut a new slot in the head

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2000 03:58 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is enough protruding, don't grab it with ordinary pliers. Use a small vise-grip to grab it tightly and back it out.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-30-2000 09:15 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Mark,

What do you mean that super saw the end of it's usefull life 20 years ago? Supers are great machines, if you enjoy mopping up all the oil that runs right through them as water
In fact, theres a multiplex in Bemiji MN that still runs one

Josh

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2000 06:23 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The penetrating oil did the trick. I applied a couple of drops last night, and this morning the screw turned easily with just a pair of needle-nose pliers and then the sprocket popped off. That was the last part I needed to take off. I hope I can remember how to put this thing back together after I get all of the parts cleaned up

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2000 07:54 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manuals are available to download to help you if you forgot how it went together.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-31-2000 10:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josh,
I was actually just kidding. Actually Supers can put out decent images if finely tuned. Many, many are still running around the world. BTW: I heard that they are still using limelight up there in Bemiji. Is that true?
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: