Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Joe's Training Video (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Joe's Training Video
Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 06:52 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just downloaded and took a look at Joe's training video - Great Job!. I've learned a lot and can't wait to try it all out. Put some oil on a hard starting xenon, what a great idea

PS - How did you do those cool CGI effects?

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 05-29-2000 07:16 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahhhhh

i have been asking for a while now

Where can i find that video? And how can I get my hands on it. i heard that it was funny and are extremely tempted to see it.

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the film-tech home page and click the download link. It's 24 megs so if you have a slow connection prepare to wait a while, but it's worth it.

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA
www.thelyric.com

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 07:56 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one of the funniest shorts I've seen in a long time. Congratulations Joe, fantastic job. It took about four minutes to download it and was well worth it! Oh, I should mention that was with a cable modem connection. Video IS good for something. Please let us know how you did those effects and what software you used.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-29-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad everybody enjoys it (so far)! I am always looking for suggestions for a new version.

I filmed it with a Canon XL1 DV video camera. The data was transferred to my computer (a Mac G3 - I have since moved up to a G4). It was edited with EditDV. The special effects were done with Painter 4.0.3 for the Mac, as well as Ray Dream Studio 5 (also for the Mac). It was then exported back to tape. Then over a year later I transferred the finished video to my Mac G4, encoded it into MPEG using Xing MPEG Encoder for Windows (via Virtual PC on the Mac) and that's the file you now have.

Yes, it is that old. Can't wait to do an update!

I also did the graphics for this site (the "Film-Tech Forums" logo you see at the top of each page and the "This Blows", "It'll Do" and "Good as Gold" logos) using Ray Dream Studio 5 for the Mac.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2000 02:11 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is also important to note that I made this video long before I met Brad Miller and was introduced to FilmGuard, which is why it is not featured in the video. Also, this is the original version, I did not add any sound effects or anything else to it. I'll do all that when I make the "sequel".

For those looking for the file to download CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD IT.

Note it is 24.5 MEGS in MPEG format.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2000 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely hilarious! 2 thumbs up.....er I mean cut off.
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-30-2000 09:21 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely hilarious, Joe! Good timing, too... very sharp! I loved the bit about running the show manually, HAHAHAHA! That was priceless. So, who was everyone? That would be my only suggestion, to add some credits.

How do I upload my videos? I have some fantastic Ray Dream animation of an exploded intermittent movement in operation, for a drive-in video I was doing.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2000 09:35 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a Billy Crystal Voice:

Absolutely Marvelous!

I too loved the "manual" job, payout roller and projector. Reminds of having to babysit Saving Private Ryan either because of static or the variac on the Speco platter died so we used the makeup table to control the takeup.

Great Job.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-30-2000 01:34 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

That's the funniest thing I've seen in a while. took a good hour and a half to download.

BTW, that tip on folding 70mm in half,
that was a joke, right

waiting for the second version,
Josh

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-30-2000 02:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, send me the file on a 100 meg zip disc or cd rom.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-30-2000 03:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,
We are now waiting for Booth Training: Part 2...."Revenge Of The Platterpus". Let us know when its ready. We all really want to see this one done in 65mm.....at least.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-30-2000 05:14 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No the sequel will be raiders of the lost carbon arc in vistavision

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2000 06:07 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don't add credits to things this short, because it doesn't seem that they would fit in with the material, but here goes:

The main guy who introduces the video, gets his finger cut in the splicer, gets blown up by a xenon bulb (twice), and the narrator is some moron named Joe Redifer (me).

The other guy who pulls out the ring and gets zapped by static is Tom Barnes, who used to be a projectionist when this was made, but is now the manager of his very own movie theater.

Mr 70mm is Jeff Skallan, who has been the head projectionist at Mann Bowles Crossing 12 since the day it opened. He is still there holding his finger on the film when his rollers fall off to this day.

The majority of this was filmed at Mann's Bowles Crossing 12 in Littleton, Colorado. 2 scenes were filmed at Mann's Chinese 16 in Aurora, CO.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-30-2000 07:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
"Filmed"???

Shame on you. And don't keep shaking those xenons around me!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: