Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » The projectionist and the focus-puller

Author Topic: The projectionist and the focus-puller
Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 04:28 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, one of the theatres I work at is running a film which is a 16MM blow-up (standard 16 at that).

Unfortunately, it is not a terribly good example of this practice and much of the film is 'soft' with certain sequences being absolutely out of focus.

This generates constant complaints from patrons who come out asking 'the projectionist to please focus the film!'. By now I have asked all the staff to respond by telling them that the film has been shot with poor focus on 16MM film and then enlarged to 35MM for exhibition. At best, this creates suspicion; at worst, they don't believe what they're being told. The fact that the subtitles are sharp means nothing to them (no, not laser subtitles!)

Having been present during some complaints, patrons simply don't believe that the focus-puller/camera crew can possibly be at fault: the projectionist is ALWAYS to blame. Apparently, camera crews are perfect.

It's this automatic assumption that we're not doing our job correctly that drives one insane.

(From the ridiculous to the sublime: this week, the theatre in question is running this film in a double bill with a 70MM print of 'Baraka'. Talk about extreme! )

Part 2:

Recently at another cinema I had to run a programme consisting of 10 or so 35MM shorts. Some of these were 16MM blow-ups. There was a note left by the previous projectionist who had run these that focus was a problem on a couple of titles that he specified. I should note that it was a graduate screening for the students who had made the films (but which was also open to the public).

I decided to ask the opening speaker to mention to the audience that the aforementioned titles were soft and that it's not the fault of the projectionist. She did it, albeit very nervously! I'm glad, because one film contained a prolonged two-shot that was out of focus. No complaints!

When I arrived at work next time, there was a note to me saying that I should not have asked for the announcement because it 'draws attention to what otherwise would have gone unnoticed' and 'sure you covered yourself but imagine how the focus-puller must have felt'.

And the feelings of the complaint-ridden projectionist? They don't matter, right?

This begs the question: Is the projectionist really supposed to be the whipping post that protects the sacred cow that is the film crew? Is it our job to shelter the film crew's errors and protect their reputation at our expense?

What is your opinion? Should I have done this?

Part 3:

My theory on 16MM blow-ups is that although most producers look to them as a technique for saving money, they actually require more expertise and precision from a film crew than regular 35MM, not less. Any operator error will be far more apparent than under normal circumstances.

Having said this, 16MM blowups can look excellent when executed well. This has been established by films by Mike Figgis such as 'Leaving Las Vegas' and 'The Loss of Sexual Innocence'. This is due in no small part to the excellence and virtuousity of cinematographers Declan Quinn and Benoit Delhomme, respectively. The Canadian film 'Kissed' even won a runner-up award for Best Cinematography despite having been originated on Super-16MM (cinematography by Gregory Middleton). My hat comes off - way off, to these artists for doing an incredible job and making me look good in the process!

The blow-up is simply not, however, the low-budget panacea that many seem to think it is. Done well, it becomes a creative tool used to impart a desired look and feel to the image. Done poorly, it will just make the whole production look cheap.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-29-2000 05:03 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you expect from a Tibetan Monk?

One would hope that The Cup will screen first...if not, pray you're not working that night.

Worst blow ups...

Thank God He Met Lizzie
The Castle
That other Tibetan thing we ran about 6 months ago (From video, not 16mm).

Michael, update your profile. The e-mail contact is wrong. I just sent you an email and it has come back as undeliverable.

(How is Mr Krauss supposed to contact you?)

------------------

Randy Rock
Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 09:43 AM      Profile for Randy Rock   Email Randy Rock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I've run many 16mm and blow-up screenings that have problems as described above, and more. Filmmakers who have a lack of understanding of safe area, framing, teeny-tiny titles/credits, etc. I also do some amount of "festival" projection for non-mainstream films. I'm constantly amazed how ignorant many filmmakers are about the technical aspects of presenting their film. "My film looked fine at the (local Seattle) screening room, but it's all fuzzy here. Your lenses aren't any good." (I wish a Schneider rep was in the room.) No, it's the difference between a ten foot screen and a 45 foot screen. Print density issues. Color timing issues. Sound issues. I could go on and on.....

On the positive side, one small town theater I occasionally work at *always* makes an announcement to audience if there are major technical flaws in the print. The theater has expended considerable time and money to assure that technically their presentation is of a high quality, and don't want patrons (who *do* notice problems) to assume that problems with the presentation are due to either the operator or equipment.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-29-2000 09:50 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>the projectionist is ALWAYS to blame. Apparently, camera crews are perfect. <<

Having worked on some movie shoots, I can attest to the fact that cinematographers AREN'T perfect, and often many more times than they would care to admit. One of the earth's most devastating forces is borne when a lofty DP is proven wrong by a lowly projectionist.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 10:19 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John:

I just checked my email address as per my user profile, and it's already up to date, being:

msbarry@ihug.com.au

It may have been a temporary network problem; I just sent myself a test email and it worked - try sending it to me again!

No, I'm not working that shift!

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-29-2000 02:50 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely you were correct in putting the blame where it belongs, especially if the alleged focus puller was present. Blow ups seem to rarely work well except for effect.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: