Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dts and SRD tags (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: dts and SRD tags
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-28-2000 03:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that our sound is up to scratch, new tags have been approved.

Has anyone bought any new ones lately? What're the current versions and prices? Do they give new ones away free then if you want more you buy them?

What about dts? What's the sonic landscape like?

Also, if anyone has an old Simpsons THX tag, I would love to take it off your hands if you no longer need it. (That last request is not for the theater, that one's for me )

TURN IT UP! TURN IT UP!

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-28-2000 05:52 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running the SRD "Canyon" trailer (I think) --- it leaves much to be desired. I liked the Train and the City much better... gave you that feeling of excitement right before the show went on. This one is kinda flat and makes you think "Ehhhh..?"

C'est la vie.

I need to get my projectionist to put on my SDDS and DTS logos... (although I'm sure they're scratched to high heaven -- been passed down from theatre to theatre.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-28-2000 07:30 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is from memory:

There are at least two DTS tags--the original "flying disc" version (is this still available?) and the new "sonic landscape" version. "Flying disc" is a bit dated, since many theatres have been running it since "Jurassic Park" came out. I really like "sonic landscape," personally; it's a tad subtle on the sound side, but the visuals are nice and it works well with just about any type of film.

The latest SRD tags are "aurora" and "rain." "Aurora" is EX-encoded, but doesn't say EX. I believe that the same is true of "rain." I really like "Aurora," since it's perfect for any sort of sci-fi movie.

Older SRD tags include "city" (which is great for action films), "egypt," "canyon," "train" (of which there are two versions...the original one is much better IMHO), and one or two others that I can't remember right now.

Are the new SDDS trailers still using only Dolby A on the optical track?

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-28-2000 12:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott Neff said:
"I need to get my projectionist to put on my SDDS and DTS logos..."

I just hope they *remove* them when they move the print from DTS or SDDS houses to the Dolby Digital screens and vice versa, I bet they won't... and before you say it... YES it DOES matter if the film is playing in the advertised format or not...

Aaron

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-28-2000 05:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby's "Aurora" is cool. Rain is dumb. It sounds like it was recorded at 11025Hz! It is also very wishy-washy like a poorly encoded 128-kbps MP3 file. It's really bad. Only the little "ding" at the end comes from the EX channel. I don't like Dolby's new soundmark jingle. They could have come up with something much better. Canyon and Egypt (and Temple which is SR only) are very boring. There is no animation, only the camera moves. And they sound like 22050Hz! I'm probably pissing Dolby off by typing this (not my problem that they have bad sound logos) The City is cool and the original Train is by far the best!

DTS's flying disc is extremely dated and sounds very shrill. The Sonic Landscape is short, subtle, and classy. I like it. It doesn't go for the "WOW" factor that every other digital tag goes for. I like how short it is. Many may even overlook it.

The original SDDS tag sucks ass. It had about 20 seconds of black silence at the beginning. I haven't seen any of the newer SDDS tags, but everybody tells me that they really aren't anything special.

Maybe I should review each sound logo. Officially. dating back to Henry (or is it Harry) Mancini's (did I spell that correctly?) wonderful SR trailer. Either way, it was done by the Pink Panther guy.

Nic Margherio
Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2000 05:44 PM      Profile for Nic Margherio   Email Nic Margherio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think that the original SDDS trailer was pretty cool, especially the 2nd mix with the horns. The "new" (they're now 3 years old) live action ones are OK but they don't have anything on the Dolby trailers. On top of that, I haven't been able to get any new ones for 2 years. Does anyone have a contact number at Sony? I've been getting the run-around forever and I really need some new trailers. I would appreciate it if they just told me that the didn't make/sell them anymore and that would be the end of it. Every time I call, the idiots who work for that company don't know what they're talking about, its rather irritating.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-28-2000 06:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy if Dolby would just junk that "B" version (I think they call it the "long" version) of their Train and go back to that magnificent "A" version!

Please, please, please!!!

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-28-2000 07:37 PM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this is ever so slightly off-topic, but on DVD, the 'Canyon' and 'Egypt' trailers show themselves to be very worthy indeed. The mixes are very subtle and enveloping - almost holographic. The bass is incredibly powerful. Guests always give me a 'wow' response when I play them. 'City' and 'Train' work on a 'see how many watts and subwoofers I've got' level (which can be impressive - don't get me wrong!) but the others have impact even at lower volumes.

I agree about the 'rain' trailer - apart from some good placement, the fidelity is wanting. Haven't heard 'Aurora' yet!

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-28-2000 10:49 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've ALWAYS thought it was important to make sure the sound trailer was correct.

I'm in the process of training my junior projectionists to add and remove trailers... ie. policy trailers.

The good ole' union guy already knows how, but I have to REMIND him to remove an SRD trailer when it switches to an SDDS house.

Why is that? Shouldn't a UNION projectionist with 45 years experience KNOW when a trailer needs to be changed WITHOUT being told??????

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-28-2000 11:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I'll say it:

Just because a projectionist is union doesn't gaurantee quality! It also doesn't mean that you suck, either.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-29-2000 02:41 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone bought any lately? Prices?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 11:27 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MTS list the DTS trailers at $25 a piece. If memory serves the rest of them are about that too.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2000 04:02 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we bought the CP500, two "Rain" trailers were included with the package. The people at Dolby probably realized that "Rain" really isn't their best work, though, so they sent us "Egypt" when they got the registration form...

And I've now managed to get hold of a used "Train" trailer to impress audiences with. It's still Dolby's best trailer.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-30-2000 12:01 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby does not charge for their trailers (to my most recent knowledge). That is very cool. The current train is a shortened version of the longer original version that said "Dolby Stereo Digital" instead of just "Dolby Digital"

I am not sure what DTS charges for their snipes, but I know that they do charge.

The last time I tried to get SDDS trailers (the orginials) they wanted $90 each! I kept telling them I wasn't allowed to spend that much. I finally talked them down to $10 each! That was many many years ago, and I'm not sure what they do now.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-30-2000 02:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's shorter? I never actually took a stopwatch to the A and B versions, but the B versions state "Train long version" on the leaders, so I just assumed. Regardless, the B versions are very dull. It's just loud, nothing else. The A versions were incredible, but the reason I heard was they were pulled because the low frequency information was so intense that theaters kept blowing their subs.

I say tough...get more subs and more power! I miss that A train! Anyone got a print of it still?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: