Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie Lamp Hourmeter Keeps Breaking

Author Topic: Christie Lamp Hourmeter Keeps Breaking
Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to toss this to all who use Christie 2000 watt lamphouses (Not SLC). Is anyone having a problem with the hourmeters keeping time or the numbers would jam up and break. This will be our second one that we will be replacing this year. Currently this one like the last one would go up to 07999.9 and would then change to 07999.0 ! The tenth digit would function but not the whole hour. Coincidently the last one registered 07999.9 before it died completely. Our third projector has 4500 hours (replaced) But the hour digit is not lined up with the rest of them (like it out of frame ) If anyone has had a similar problem, let me know so I would not be the only one.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2000 10:23 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think they have an 8 month, 8000 hour warranty!!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-27-2000 05:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hour meters and amp meters have always been a bit troublesome. A few companies have wisely gone digital in this area. Strong only offers it as an option. Christie should do the same.
Sounds like they got a bad batch to me. Look into changing them out to a digital variety. There are many available, some no more expensive than their analog counterparts. Same with the Ampmeter. Check the Digikey web site.
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-27-2000 08:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph, the second meter within the year dying at 8000 hours? We'll just presume it isn't on the same console, otherwise...man do you need a day off...8000 hours in less than a year!

Mark...it is Ammeter, not amp meter or ampmeter...don't ask me why ;-)

Personally, I have never had that big a problem with the analog componets and MUCH prefer analog ammmeter to their digital counterparts.

Most of the digital displays I have seen in consoles have had their share of problems...flaking out, battery dies so the hours reset to 0...totaly bogus wattage value, bouncy readings... Sure some of it is an engineering problem but what do you really get for the digital displays?

I think if we polled the projection community, we would find that most are not having their hour meters die at 8000 and ammeters generally last the life of the lamphouse/console, unless you don't have bypass caps on the shut to keep the ingnition pulse away from the meter.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-27-2000 08:53 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STEVE: It's two different consoles. We have to be running shows 24/7 to accumulate that much in a year. It's amazing just on that Christie design they fail.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-27-2000 10:58 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found the motor mount has to be bent-in a little, so the drive can reliably contact the dial mechanism.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-27-2000 11:03 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having had my fill of Digital meters and there problems I would go analouge

For hour meters I used the crammer one as replacments they seem to last the best

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-27-2000 11:38 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've used the Cramer's too. Very good.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-27-2000 03:17 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8 months/ 8000 hours? Don't you mean 800 hours? I have a Christie bulb in a Christie lamphouse that only has a mere 7100 hours on it now and it is only 2 and a half years old. Still works great! It would be pretty hard to get 8000 hours in 8 months

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-27-2000 04:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the place where I used to work (Williamsburg Theatre), we had a pair of Christie K20 lamphouses. These were installed in 1982 and, as of last year, had about 14k hours on each of them. It seemed high to me at the time, but I guess that it's not. We generally only had two shows per day and three on weekends, though. (Those lamphouses have since been replaced with Kneisley Xenex IIs, the CP-50 is now a CP-500, and there's talk of replacing the Century SAs with JJs!)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: