Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Censorship on Film-Tech (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Censorship on Film-Tech
Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-25-2000 08:35 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should discussions run until they lose steam of their own accord or should they be shut down because the administrator decides that enough is enough? Note I'm not questioning the RIGHT to do with a web site as the owner pleases. I'm questioning whether they SHOULD.

To me the main advantage of this forum over r.a.m.t. is the immediacy without waiting for the vagaries of post distribution through usenet. The downside is that a web site is under single control whereas usenet, being a distributed system, answers pretty much to no one.

So what are other peoples thoughts on this? Open, frank, uncensored discussions vs. personal fiefdom?

Let me also take this opportunity to clarify that while I vigorously and strenuously defend my position on various subjects nothing I say should be taken too personally. And no, I'm not big on using smilies.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2000 08:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean Steve. I've known you for many years and can't remember if I ever saw you smile.
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-25-2000 08:59 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Mark, you know I haven't smiled since you left town. hahahahahahahahahah

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-25-2000 09:11 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because the thread is now closed, doesn't mean it's censorship. If it were me, I would have closed it long before as it just kept going over the same things again and again ad nauseum.

AND it didn't even answer the original question!

Steve, I suggest you start learning how to use smilies. Even though you may not mean to piss others off, if you don't use them, it will be taken the wrong way.

Where IS Alan Brandt by the way?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 09:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan...never did figure out if he was serious about half the things he posted about.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-25-2000 09:41 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I'm not sure what people are taking offense to. I just reread all my posts in that thread and the only place where I really was nasty was the first post, where I complained about people who, based on seeing where the cut was made, apparently lopped off several feet of film OR an entire fade-out or fade-in when building. Surely none of the readers of Film-Tech do that.

Anything else please point out and I will clarify if I can.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-25-2000 09:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not bothering to go back and re-read that topic, but judging by the final post made, you've obviously upset some people albeit unwittingly perhaps.

You've GOT to use smilies on the computer. You may think you're having a normal conversation, but we can't see your facial expressions to know if you're kidding or just being sarcastic.

Let's move on, shall we?

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 10:27 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may have to ask you to excuse me for this... but...

I find those smilies to be extremely annoying and I don't use them. There are some things which a person believes in and NOTHING can make him change his mind. This is one of them.

I usually click that "Disable Smilies in This Post" box hoping it'll disable all smilies in a particular thread, but it never works. Now you're saying that if we don't use those things people will always take us seriously. Please!

I also have no idea what "<g>" means and I don't care. Generally, I'm not fond of any Internet-inspired abbreviations. I also can't stand when people use abbreviations to discuss movies. For several days last year, I wondered which movie people were discussing when I saw TWINE mentioned on the Internet (It turned out to be a James Bond movie).

I hate it when Steven Spielberg talks about his movies and never uses the full title. He talks about "Jurassic" or "Empire" or "41" and I'm surprised he doesn't refer to Hook as "H" or something. Come on! If you wanted the movie to be called "41" why didn't you just call it that? I'd love to listen to a conversation between George Lucas and Steven Spielberg in which the two were talking about "Empire" and confusing each other.

Okay... that's my rant (without any graphical icons to help you figure it out). And, by the way, my first name isn't "Gregory" either because my parents knew they'd never call me that.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-25-2000 10:30 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Greg, you are excused.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-25-2000 11:19 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I changed my mind. I'm chopping off 40 frames from now on!

But, really, I sort of agree with both John W. and Steve K. Postings should have _something_ to more clearly indicate the writer intent (such as smilies but it could be other things)
_and_
readers should sort of mentally include the statement, "In my opinion" at the end of a posting, and not get too wrapped up.
Pretty wishy-washy opinion, I know, but...!

Actually, I thought the "Frames" thread had gotten unstuck from the, "chop/don't chop" topic to a more constructive, "how to mark reels" topic. But, Brad's done a great job running (and creating) the whole site, which takes time and money to run- and no advertising. If he feels its time to mellow out, OK. There are always topics worth arguing over- I'm sure we'll find another one!

Carl Welles
Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 11:23 PM      Profile for Carl Welles   Email Carl Welles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Steve,

If you've got a problem with the way Brad moderates his forum, why don't you just leave. No one is forcing you to be here. If this was my forum, I would have banned you from posting already. Film-tech is a great web site and service to the industry, and as I understand it, Brad funds everything here out of his own pocket, all of this, at no cost to us. I can't believe you're complaining about censorship. All he did was close a thread that was going nowhere and was angering people thanks to you. If anyone needs to lighten up and not take things so seriously, it is you.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2000 12:40 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Carl. Steve must be taking it too seriously if he's sending Brad his resume to attain the "Master Film Handler" title. This web site's been on-line for more than a year, and this is the first time I've seen anyone put up a topic that directly challenges the administrator. Must be from all that smog that supposedly clears your faculties.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-26-2000 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of you. I think the Film-Tech web site is probably the best place on the web for this sort of open discussion and idea exchange, and just plain joking around from time to time. I personally never cared for the wimpy newsgroup, and pretty much stayed away from it. Enough good cannot be said about this site and how fair Brad is in administering it. Introduce me to someone else that cares half as much as he does and is as open minded......
Also regarding a thread being shut down....thats stupid. I've seen old threads from many pages in pop up once in a while when a newbie signs up. Thats one of the coolest aspects of this group!
Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-26-2000 09:11 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh? Resume'? Hardly so. I merely misconstrued that the titles were assigned based on experience so with that in mind I described some of the work that I've done in this field, specific types of tasks like running dailies on, setting up location booths, etc. By contrast a resume' lists employers, eduation, etc. Perhaps somewhere in here it explains how the labels are based on posting but if so I haven't seen it. So in absence of other explanation it's entirely logical to have presumed that the labels are assigned and to have sent Brad some background info to work from. I know Brad mentioned that in an attempt to publicly embarrass me but that's misguided because it was a logical presumption. Perhaps someone can point me to where the labeling is explained so I don't have to search for it.

Now, as for my disagreement with Brad over that one thread perhaps you folks are the ones taking things a bit too seriously. This is a good site and if I didn't think so I wouldn't be here. Surely I can have a disagreement with the man without invalidating that basic opinion.

Finally, I would be most appreciative if someone would point out one of my prior posts in "that thread" where they think I was too rude or whatever it is that many of you seem to think was wrong or inappropriate, etc. When I look back over them myself all I see is a vigorous defense of my position, but maybe I can't see the forest for the trees. I shall keep an open mind but so far I don't see what the fuss is about. Please enlighten. Someone ought to be able to back up their opinion with a quote or two.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-26-2000 12:41 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I hate it when Steven Spielberg talks about his movies and never uses the full title. He talks about "Jurassic" or "Empire" or "41" and I'm surprised he doesn't refer to Hook as "H" or something. Come on! If you wanted the movie to be called "41" why didn't you just call it that? I'd love to listen to a conversation between George Lucas and Steven Spielberg in which the two were talking about "Empire" and confusing each other.<<

Oh, this is too good, I'm rolling!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: