Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Stupid Universal ad at the feature's end (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stupid Universal ad at the feature's end
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-22-2000 03:22 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always hated that ad snipe Universal puts at the end of features they release. First, it's more advertising, which sucks. Then their park (at least the one in Calif.) sucks, too. Lastly, they are the cheapest major studio, ever. Just about all the films they produce are cheap, TV type junk.

I've been putting the "end-of-show" cue on a bit early, so the MPAA rating is shown, but the shutter closes before "Ride the Stars" or whatever appears. But now with, "Gladiator" the tricky bastards put their ad, then the THX title, then the MPAA rating last.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2000 04:19 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Yes, they are cheap. They never co-op ads for one. But no, they do make some good movies. Mummy and Gladiator are both excellent examples (in my opinion of course). Now Sony, there is a company that makes really shitty movies.

2) It doesn't really bother me becuase there isn't anyone in the auditorium by the time that pops up anyway.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-22-2000 04:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean this one?

It's about as useful has having the "if you experienced any problems with the presentation, call George Lucas" tag at the end of movies. No one will be there to see them.

At least it gives you more tail leader!

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-22-2000 04:53 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never show the ratings band, personally. It looks crappy if you happen to have red curtains (it looks like a really ugly shade of purple), and is quite useless anyway. I'd agree that the "visit Universal Studios" tag is equally dumb, but my audiences have never seen it, so that's not a big deal. I _do_ show the Lucasfilm/TAP tag, though...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2000 05:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,
Actually people do respond to the "Call George Lucas" tag at the end. Customers of mine have gotten letters from TAP for everything from too loud to the best sound I have ever heard.
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-22-2000 06:47 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TAP does respond with the infamous WaterWorld a local theatrem scratched reel4 and they got a complaint. The theatre had to pull the print till a replacement reel could be struck and still pay the distributor there percentage based on the best week with the screen black
Funny after that they haven't had a scratch up again

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Brad,
Does the Universal thingy at the end still say "Ask for Babs"? Who the hell was Babs anyway?
Mark

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-22-2000 08:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Said:

"Does the Universal thingy at the end still say "Ask for Babs"? Who the hell was Babs anyway?"

Have you ever seen 'Animal House'? If not- watch it, ALL of it all the way to the last frame. Then you will know who Babs is.

AFAIK, all John Landis films From 'Animal House' on that were distributed by Universal have the 'Ask For Babs' on the Universal ad at the end of the film.

Aaron
...who actually ASKED for Babs once while visiting Universal Studios...

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-22-2000 09:50 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note to Dustin:

I'm pretty sure Dreamworks produced "Gladiator;" Universal only distributed it. Not sure about "The Mummy" though. If you look at films Universal produced and distributed, there aren't too many good ones. But you are right, there are some.

Note to Brad:

Where is that auditourium shown in the picture? It looks pretty nice. Good size, big screen (curved?)

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 01:54 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>Where is that auditourium shown in the picture? It looks pretty nice. Good size, big
screen (curved?)

I dunno... the corners look a bit dark....

also, has anyone ever thought of calling the THX hotline about other competitors theaters around them??? I know a few AMC's who could use a Lucas phone call or two....

tyler

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-23-2000 05:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tyler,

That is a picture of auditorium #8 (a medium one) at the UA Galaxy in Dallas, TX. I used to work there and I shot that on one of my final days working there. The picture in this thread is compressed a bit due to the shrinking, but you can see it as well as others more clearly in the picture warehouse here on the site under "UA Galaxy".

Dark corners??? I think not, but you CAN see the trademark negative dirt of the Deluxe Hollywood lab at the end of most every reel they print in the full sized picture at the warehouse.

(Yes I am anal enough to show these and to make sure that the douser does not close until the black tail leader passes through the gate. The standard 50 feet of tail leader I always add also ensures there is never a mark even on the final frame of the rating band, or in this case the Universal ad.)

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-23-2000 04:06 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, "Ask for Babs" almost every John Landis movie also has the phrase, "See you next Wednesday" showing somewhere in the background somewhere in the movie. "Animal House" is the only movie I haven't been able to find it in. Maybe it's written in the grafitti on the walls of the frat house?

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 07:25 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Dreamworks distributed Gladiator. I don't know who produced it.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2000 01:37 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to disagree about Universal not making anything good - I like Universal's product, but like every studio, there's going to be some good ones and then there's always some schlock.

'Touch of Evil' is a great, classic example.
'The Thing' is one of my recent favourites, as is the 'Back to the Future' trilogy. How about 'Jaws'? And 'White Palace'...too many to mention.

And if you want a GREAT sound mix...lush, expansive, dynamic, transparent, full-range with scale and massive impact, try 'Fear' (James Foley).

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-24-2000 09:24 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding my opinion that Universal makes cheap films, I meant that films they totally produced and distributed. IMHO, other people "make" the film, Universal only throws in some money and their distribution. Also, I'm not including films they did before they became big into TV stuff, which means after about 1960 or so.

From the Internet Movie DB;

White Palace- produced by; Double Play, Mirage and Universal Pictures

Back to the Future- produced by; Amblin Entertainment [us] and Universal Pictures

The Thing (1982)- produced by; Turman-Foster Company and Universal Pictures

As far as Jaws is concerned, (to me) it's a Speilberg film.

Hey, it's my opinion, however contorted to fit!! I never said I made sense!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: