Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » That's it...you're outta here! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: That's it...you're outta here!
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2000 04:26 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I walked past our main screen last night and checked focus on 'Gladiator'. While I did this, a hand popped up into the beam and waved around a bit. Now, I hate this enough even if it's in the credits only, but this was about one third of the way through 'Gladiator'.

I walked out into the auditorium and sure enough, there was a row of about seven kids sitting in the back row under the port.

So I called down to the manager and informed him of what was going on. He wasn't too impressed as it was almost a full house.

Anyway, I kept looking out the port to see if anything happened. In every other theater I've worked at before and told them there was trouble of some sort, MAYBE you would get an usher to come in and have a look and if they weren't playing up at that point, the usher would just shrug, turn around and walk out again.

So I kept looking to see what would happen...nothing...nothing...Oh well, it's no different here either. I was thinking that thought when about _5_ ushers came in in a line...shone their torches in their faces and marched them right out of there. Real S.W.A.T. team stuff! It was all over in about 30 seconds!

Très impressed, I can tell you!

It makes such a nice change to be working in a theater where all the staff are friends and there is no apathy. (There's no time for it 'cos it's so darn busy!)

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

|  IP: Logged

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2000 09:46 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good one: Last week I visted the booth at the drive-in on Cape Cod (See my post next week) Just into the first few minutes of the cartoon the picture was not on the screen, but on the side of motor home that decided to park right in front of the booth. Fortunately we radioed lot security and got the motor home out of the way.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-21-2000 10:41 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our ushers would have just lifted it out of the way.

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 05-21-2000 10:53 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sometimes i cant stand the people that think everything is our fault like one time ther was a brain wrap and some old guy was standing up and staring me with a cold death stare through the porthole.

or peopl have a tendency to throw drinks at the porthole.

one kid actually thought it would be funny to slap the porthole.

one time someone slapped the porthole so when the movie was restarted, ther was a nice hand imprint on the glass.
frustrating

------------------
--"That's my story and i'm sticking to it!"--

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2000 11:31 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a story I love to tell....

I was watching a film where I used to work(off-duty,but close to the start of my shift) and these girls (4th or 5th graders) would yell and talk loudly during parts. After the first time I shooshed them from my seat, they came past my seat and said some pretty rough things. I waltzed out,put on my uniform,and told them to shoosh again or out they go. No more problems, and they left early. Never did see em' again.

--Chris

Jason R. Weinsteiger
Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2000 11:35 PM      Profile for Jason R. Weinsteiger   Author's Homepage   Email Jason R. Weinsteiger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
grr..yeah! and i hate it when the film breaks and you're trying to fix it, and after about a minute, some jerk decides that he should come in the booth and check on you! STAY OUTTA MY BOOTH!

jasoN

------------------
"That's what life is - a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of muppets." -Dante Hicks

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2000 03:11 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching Bone Collector one day while off duty and the guy behind me would not shut up... After I asked him a few times, then demanded, that he be quiet, he diecided he would threaten me...

He was quite surprised when I left, returned with our security officers, and had him thrown out..

At my last theatre I had this kid that would not quit waving his hand in front of the port... I walked down there and commended him on his bravery... After he gave me a confused look, I told him that the light was pure UV radiation and that he would probably have cancer in 6 months... This kid about wet his pants... People will believe anything you say if you say it with a straight face...

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-22-2000 03:18 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, we used to tell the kids that had put their hand in the beam they would have Xenon poisoning unless they rushed to the bathroom immediately and scrubbed their hands and arms with soap and warm water.

Ahhh... the sweet revenge of watching them scream out of the cinema to the bathroom to scrub themselves silly. And the sweetest part of the gag...?

...we were running on carbon arcs! Ha Ha Ha!

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's playing gags on little assholes who put their hand in the beam".
Diana Jones. (his sister, who once ran a small, single screen theater in downtown San Francisco before her brother got really rich from selling off religious artifacts and supported her enough so that she could quit her cinema and be rid of those little shits once and for all)

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-22-2000 07:29 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John - next time, just show the little twerp the box that the carbons come in and point out the warning about "carbon arcs must be well ventilated; fumes can cause cancer" (at least that's what National carbons say...not sure about other brands) and mention that the ventilation system is broken that day...

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 03:05 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's great to see theatre management take a stand and toss trouble makers out. There's nothing I hate more than for some idiot to put their hands in front of the beam or to talk during the film. Their selfish "I don't care about anybody else attitude" can really ruin the magic of the movies for everybody else. Toss 'em out!

One probem we've seen in the drive-in business in recent years is laser pointers. This seems to have lessened a little bit, I think because kids have found other things to play with, but they still pop up occasionally. Is this also a problem for those of you that work in in-door theatres? Have any of you figured out how to find them?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 04:42 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was working at the Loews Keystone, people would take it upon themselves to bang on the windows if anything at all (and sometimes for no reason at all) happened to the movie, and because of the poor quality of port windows many a pane of glass were knocked out by customers. talk about a pain in the kiester. At one point we did not have a replacement port for the projector but had a spare glass for a slide projector port however since the slide projector port was not quite the same size, some creative engineering using masking tape and cardboard had to be employeed. After returing to the theatre 2 1/2 years later, guess what I found. They "temporary fix" that I had done was still there!! They never replaced it with the proper glass!! Talk about cheap oh well... not my concern anymore

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2000 05:03 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was seeing Clash of the Titans at the AMC Omni in Atlanta in 1982. There was a large crowd there that night. There was a group of 20-somethings that were talking, throwing stuff, etc. Nobody around them would say anything or go and tell management. I decided to go and do it. I was followed back into the theater by an usher, who saw what was going on. He went to the group and I heard him say that "someone had complained about the noise." One of the rowdies stood up, and loudly said: "WHO COMPLAINED?" And the usher pointed directly at ME with his flashlight beam and said: "HE did!"
I was mortified!

After the film was over, and we let the theater, we were followed for 2 blocks by the group. I guess they were trying to intimidate us. I was glad when we got to the car and left the area.

By the way, they never did shut up. I had to go see the film again elsewhere to understand it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-23-2000 05:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
How pathetic of an usher staff is that??? When I as a theater manager, I always told customers I would wait 5 minutes and THEN enter the auditorium, wait in the back for a minute to catch them in the act and then get them. That way the disruptees never knew who complained and the only beef they would have was with me.

You should've complained nice and loudly to the AMC district office over that one.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2000 08:07 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a real legend of a projectionist visiting me in the booth a few years ago. He brought his kids with him up, as they had watched the previous show ("The Lion King", not that it matters now). Maybe he shouldn't have, but he just had to see the booth again since he had worked at the theatre as the head projectionist for many years. I couldn't very well blame him.

After a minute or two, our local tech also showed up, and was happy to see a few familiar faces.

So anyway, we stood there talking for a while, discussing old times, projection, and the theatre in particular, and had a generally good time. None of us gave a single thought to the kids.

Until...

...an usher came running up the stairs, asking what the hell we were doing. It turned out that the kids had stood in front of the porthole for several minutes, creating all kinds of shadow animals and figures. The audience, about 500 people all in all, was NOT amused.

Oops.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2000 08:25 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another kids-in-the-booth story:

One night, me and my spouse couldn't solve the babysitting problem, so my kids, then two and four years of age, had to join me to the booth until their mother could pick them up. I had one single feature to screen, and thought that I could handle it.

Sure. When it was time for the change-over, I sat down by the projector to wait for the cue. Of course, I told the kids to sit tight, wait, and NOT TOUCH ANYTHING. The cue came about two seconds before the four year-old found out how to turn off the Xenon bulb of the machine that was running. OK, I thought. Five seconds of darkness... maybe the audience will live. Maybe. I'll just make sure not to show myself until it's all over.

I completed the change-over and checked for image sharpness and framing. Suddenly, the image disappeared, replaced with the remaining few feet of the just-finished reel.

My two year-old had learned how to do a change-over.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: