Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Filmguard vs. Vinegar

Author Topic: Filmguard vs. Vinegar
Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2000 08:49 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I did it. I acquired a print about a month ago that had such bad vs that it would make any salad bar cringe. I tried to show it using a decreped old projector, and after fighting it for 5 minutes gave up. Tonight, I ran it with filmguard and low and behold the thing ran through the same projector without any trouble at all. Brad, the stuff is simply amazing!! There is just no other way to put it!!

|  IP: Logged

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2000 09:19 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"a decreped projector..."

So, you have a Holmes, too?

Bruce
(a Holmes user)

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2000 09:54 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks.

I believe I've mentioned this before, but will repeat it again. I have stored identical copies of equal and brand new trailers for a period of 10 years with variations on the storage methods. Every test was done "dry" (without any solvent) and "FilmGuarded". Tests ranged from storing 2 trailers in a sealed can inside a closet. Another pair was stored in a sealed can in a hot Texas garage. Another pair was stored in a freezer. Another pair was stored in a cardboard box in a closet. Another pair was stored in a cardboard box in a hot Texas garage. Some were stored emulsion in, others emulsion out. Etc, etc, etc.

In EVERY case, the FilmGuarded print still looked brand new and ran flawlessly. In most of the tests, the "dry" prints had heavily vinegared or experienced curling or shrinking to the point of being unrunnable. (F.Y.I. The only surviving "non-FilmGuarded" or "dry" prints were the ones stored dry in climate controlled environments in cardboard boxes.) The product has only been on the market for 9 months, but has been in testing now for over 10 years. So long as the directions are followed, you can expect excellent results with it time and time again.

Of course, my other finding was that all of the prints stored emulsion in had severe warpage and curling. SMPTE may recommend winding emulsion in, but I know what I saw.

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2000 06:11 AM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Bruce, my decreped projector was a.......VIEWLEX!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2000 09:47 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. My Holmes is rising in quality!

A Viewlex?

Actually, FG is a great product. I am using it on some prints that I bought in Ohio last week that have not been on a projector in 20 years! They run smoothly and any scratches on the base (black ones) are hidden by the FG filling the voids. If a scratch continues to show, its a deep 'un and cant be helped.

I apply it by using a thick pad of soft material that is reasonably soaked in the FG and passing the film through it while it is folded over both sides. I have a power rewind. A couple of passes thru the pad is enough. You'd be amazed to see what comes off the film a few days after the initial treatment. The FG lifts the dirt right off!

When the pad gets dirty, like after each reel of this stuff that I am cleaning, I fold over a new clean surface and continue.

My Holmes, which is in the basement according to these goons here, has no problem with anything treated with FG. It did at first, but a little adjustment of the intermittant (yes, it HAS one) has stopped all image jitter and bounce, not to mention how quiet the film runs on any projecor.

I ran a FG'd print on a Super Simplex 35mm in Atlanta a few months ago, and the booth owner was amazed at how quietly the film ran. He even said so before I told him about FilmGuard!

I'm about out, so its time to get some more.

A Viewlex? Isn't that an RCA 1600, too? If so, I had one eat an IB tech Road Runner cartoons titles off one night before I could get back to stop it. Seems that it did not like tape splices....

(there are smiley faces here and there in this reply. Figure out where to put them.)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: