Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about frames at the theater (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question about frames at the theater
Rob Oakley
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 09:17 PM      Profile for Rob Oakley   Email Rob Oakley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a newbie to 35mm, because 16mm is old hat. I've can't seem to keep any steady employment at a theater due to the shafty owners of theaters in my area. However for a while I worked at a local 1.50 theater. When I would make up the platter, I was told to cut one frame off each reel - the end of the first and begining of the second, the end of second the begining of the third, ect. I know this is common practice, but I don't know why? Can anyone enlighten me.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-19-2000 09:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The theory is so when the print is broken back down to reels, that "id" frame will help the projectionist determine if he is cutting the film back at the correct places again.

Personally, I NEVER do it as it disrupts the continuity of the analog track and I for one can count backwards during breakdown.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably better to not cut off id frames, but it's frustrating to receive a used print that has no id frames cut. With the painfully inept people employed by so many theatres these days, you can't trust that the heads and tails are on the right reels.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-19-2000 10:06 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend ALWAYS leaving a single frame when making up a new print...not for you when you break it down, but for the next guy and the next guy after that so they KNOW for sure they've received the heads and tails on the right reels.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-20-2000 04:00 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly understand everybody's viewpoints about cutting/not cutting an ID frame. It could all be avoided if people would just check for the reel change cue if they are unsure that the splice is a reel change splice or not. If a print is so bad that 24 frames have already been removed, then you should get a new print anyway.

I sympathize with John, but I don't have any helpful advice right now for him.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2000 05:35 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think John Pytlak has mentioned this before, but this whole problem would be a moot issue if the labs would print a copy of that first and last frame within the countdown/tail leader! I say make it the frame after "3" on the countdown and the frame right before "FINISH" on the tail.

How much longer and added cost could this really take?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-20-2000 07:10 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Brad's/John's idea, though it wouldn't work if the original leaders ever needed to be replaced (not that the "reference frame" method would, either, of course).

I'd agree that losing six frames from the head and tail of each reel would be pretty disruptive. I have no way of actually measuring this, but I'd say that it's pretty easy to time a manual changeover well enough that only 2-3 frames would be lost at the head and tail of each reel. Besides, there are many, many films that have dialogue that runs out to the end of one reel and picks up again right at the start of the next; the R3->R4 changeover on "Titanic" comes to mind, as it's right in the middle of the scene (and, in the print that I had, the timing didn't match between reels). There are plenty of others like this as well. When I was at the Williamsburg Theatre, we ran a lot of older prints, some of which were so bad that they were missing more than a second at the head and tail of each reel (and didn't even have the second original cue mark!). Brad would not have approved. And, yes, I usually solved the "20-frames-of-splices" problem by cutting out the whole bunch.

I haven't personally dealt with too many "new" prints until recently, but I'd say that leaving one or (at most) two frames should be sufficient. As someone else said in this thread, if someone is too lazy to peel the tape, then the logical thing to do would be to just cut off the next-to-last frame, rather than the reference frame itself.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-20-2000 09:58 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I say make it the frame after "3" on the countdown and the frame right before "FINISH" on the tail.<<

Ooooooh, that's a GOOD idea!

They used to write the title and reel # on the edges of the film, several feet in, at both ends. I used that extensively. SDDS has killed that practice, I suppose, since their soundtrack is there.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2000 01:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree with Tim when the labs used to print the title/reel number on the edges...that was fantastic! Damnit, that's just one more thing to hate about SDDS.

Still though, the Technicolor lab now prints the title/reel number between "4" and "5" on the countdown. Why can't they print an ID frame there as well?

Scott,

If I got a print that had several ID frames on the leader and a few cuts, yes I would refuse to play it. Continuity IS lost in doing that. (Sorry John W., but that practice is just horrible and I hope you will stop doing that before you get charged on one of your prints I send back.)

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-20-2000 04:13 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Laughing..) No, that's OK Brad... That's why Film Tech is so great- you get other ideas to improve yourself with...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2000 05:10 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuity is also being lost as ultrasonic splicers like cement splices cause a loss of two frames one on either side of the splice eachtime it is assembled or diassembled

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-20-2000 05:37 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why prints built up with ultrasonic splicers should always be broken down with tape splicers. That way no frame is lost.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2000 07:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except the next guy with an ultrasonic will loose the frames
Life isn't perfect

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2000 07:29 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So can a print be made up repeatedly with an ultrasonic splicer and broken down with a tape splicer and never lose frames? I'm wondering how this is possible given that ultrasonic splices still have some overlap.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-20-2000 07:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No every time a splice is made it costs 2 frames one off the head and one off the tail
At the Imax we use the Ultrasonic for the assembling the film in a permanent fashion but any previews that will have to be removed are done with the serrerated tape splicer

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: