Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anchoring Projectors and Sound Equipment In a Mobile Booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Anchoring Projectors and Sound Equipment In a Mobile Booth
Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 03:32 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several months ago I got involved with a project which will eventually result in films being shown in an outdoor setting. It is not really a film festival per se, but free screenings of films in a parking lot as a means of drawing people back downtown from the 'burbs at least one night a week. The downtown section of this particular small city pretty much rolls up the sidewalks at night and project organizers are hoping that by offering people something do do downtown they can spur legitimate activity in the area and hopefully discourage illegal activity such as drug dealing.

The organizers located some used 35mm projection equipment (Simplex XL's, RCA soundheads, 4000 watt Xenex lamphouses with rectifyers and Crown amps). Since they have no experience in projection or exhibition, my first task was to go with the organizers to look at the equipment and explain what they were buying and what might be missing from having a full booth set-up. Once that was done and the equipment was purchased, I have been working with a very experienced projectionist and a sound technician to assemble and troubleshoot the equipment to make sure everything is working up to par.

Now that I've given you all the background on the project, here's the question:

The organizers have purchased a truck with an enclosed back end and plan to use it as a mobile projection booth. I have not seen the truck yet but I believe it is similar to a Ryder truck. They want to permanently install the projection/sound equipment in the
truck so that they can drive it back and forth to the temporary film venue each week.

How should we anchor the pedestals and sound rack in order to prevent damage to equipment during transportation? We will be using two projectors and doing 2,000 foot changeovers. Each projector will be mounted on a standard booth pedestal. Can we just bolt the pedestals down? If we do so, will vibrations from potholes and such damage the projectors and soundheads? The same question goes for the amplifyer. The sound rack we are installing will contain one Crown solid state amp for mono sound through two Altec A7's which will be placed under the screen when a film is presented. Should the amp be somehow padded? What about the xenon bulb? I'm guessing that the bulbs should not be left in the lamps when the truck is driven.

I know that a number of you have been involved with film festivals and similar venues where projection and sound gear is set up temporarily. Based upon your experience, what do you think we should do?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-19-2000 03:44 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bolt it down just remove the sound head flywheels and the xenon lamps before moving

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 04:38 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you keep the "mobile projection booth" warm and dry. Check the roof for leaks. Projection equipment RUSTS very easily.
If you have a shelf with your projector oil stored, have some means to keep the oil containers from falling over and spilling oil all over the place. Your local fire dept. may require a fire extinguisher in the booth, too.
Companies that make carnival ride electrical systems are a good source for high amperage quick connect/disconnect types of connectors. So you could pull up to your intended projection location, unbolt equipment, and plug in your power!

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 04:52 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The mobile booth for the Telluride Film Festival is moved each year. The projectors are bolted down for transport and the fywheels are removed. The amps and processor are removed each year.

Once the trailer is in place and leveled, the projectors are unbolted and the flywheels installed. You will need to unbolt the projectors to center them up on the screen. There are some bases that can handle this adjustment, but the course adjustment seems to work best just by shoving them around.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 05:12 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, good point about the problem of rust. When we were putting the machines together I had to clean some slight rust off of the film gate and related stuff. Even though the equipment had been stored in an enclosed warehouse. My guess is that even though the place had a good roof, it was probably unheated. We don't want to make that same mistake with our mobile booth!

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 06:31 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about a fm transmitter peolple could use there car radios or there walkmans. What town is this in it sounds like a great idea.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2000 07:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, Regarding the rust issue. It depends what part of the country you are in. If your area is humid(like where I used to live) then Personally I would assemble all the equipment with quick disconnects so that it can be removed and properly stored. If you live in a dry area like I do then bolting it all down is the answer. Removing the bulb and flywheel are very important things to do. When you remove the flywheel(rotary stabilizer) be careful that the sound drum and shaft does not slide laterally into the Dolby cell if your's are so equipped. If this happens it will break it and you most likely will not have any sound reproduction at all. Also, the most important thing outdoors is to have an adaquate ground to tie to. If you are going to use portable power this is an absolute must. A proper ground rod and properly grounded equipment could save your life or someone elses!
BTW: Where are you?

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are dishing up some great advice! Thanks!

The outdoor film shows will be in Hagerstown, Maryland. The plans right now are to put up some sort of screen in a parking lot not too far from city hall.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2000 09:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds cool Randy,
Check out the pictures on the Film-Tech picture page of "Cinema Borealis". I was the tech/operator on that outdoor showing. We all had a blast doing it. Definately a 10 on the FUN-O-METER!!
Have Fun,
Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-20-2000 07:19 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy - this sounds like fun. Please send pics to Brad when everything's all set up!

Oh, and check your local codes to make sure that the booth-in-a-trailer idea is legal. It probably wouldn't be here in Massachusetts, unless you were running 16mm.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2000 04:43 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll definately take pictures and submit them to Brad to be posted. I already have photos of the equipment lying on the floor of the warehouse (in pieces) and assembled in the garage where we are currently working on them.

As far as whether our mobile booth will be code compliant, I'll check into that. I think we're okay since the city is supporting us and is well aware of everything we are doing. I will make a point to check on the code issue, however.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-20-2000 05:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
randy,
If you put quick disconnects on at least the power connections for everything it will legally be considered a portable booth and does not come under standard booth code regulations.
Mark

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2000 07:08 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use those cool twist-lock connectors that welders use. We use them on all of our xenon power supplies. Heck, in the event of a light failure it is quicker to change the power supply than the lamp!

Live concerts and stage shows also use them for mains power. The house electrician simply ties pigtails equipped with the connectors to the buses and he's done. The techs can connect to them at will.

I'd build the truck just like any other projection booth (except for extra mounting bolts and a padded container for lamps and flywheels). You might want to consider removing the platters from the tree during transport. I would imagine a good pot hole could send them flying.

Just remember that everything that we rely on gravity for will need to be bolted down!

Put a nice 200 amp, three phase distro-panel on the wall and throw the pigtails out the back when you arrive.

Everyone will jump on me for this one, but keep a couple of magna-coms handy for when the local police officer says that your truck is too close to a fire hydrant (after you have set up)!

This sounds like a really neat project. I'm sitting here designing a truck! (LOL) I actually starting this post about an hour ago!

Keep us posted on the progress.

Russ

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2000 03:23 PM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russ, the twist-lock connecters is another good idea. I'll definately pass that on to our electrician.

Hmmmm...I see by your profile that Charleston now has a stadium seating theatre. I used to live in Cross Lanes (1984-1987) and used to go to the movies in downtown Charleston, Kanawha City, and at the Valley Drive-In at St. Albans (may it rest in peace). Which part of town is your theatre located in?

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2000 05:02 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charleston has TWO stadium theatres. Mine is the Park Place which is downtown. You wouldn't recognize the place if you came back. We added four screens and dug out the original seven to accomodate stadium seating.
http://www.ourshowtimes.com

Take the "digital tour". The auditorium pictured is theatre one (formerly known as theatre "A").

You will need "pig-tails" for both ends of your AC connection, as well as the bolt on connectors for the bus bars at the source.

Russ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: