Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which lamphouse is the easiest to adjust? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which lamphouse is the easiest to adjust?
David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 05:45 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years i have adjusted heaps of different lamphouses (talking xenons here not carbons!).

I have found the Xebex/Ushio and Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 console as the best to adjust.

In the middle ground have been Strong Super LumeX, Christie, Bauer U3/U4, Kinoton 1600/2000w.

The tough ones? Late model Kinoton (FP50, 60)are surprisingly difficult, as are certain large Strong (X60 C, X 60 D, old Super 80).

What brands/types do you find easy to adjust i.e. find the hot spot, move it to centre of screen and adjust out until an even light is achieved - without cooking a lens in the process!

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 07:01 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree whith what you have listed here David.I find the Kinotonlamphouse on the FP30 easy to ajust with the Bauer U3 next and lastly the cinemecanica consol.I have'nt had the chance to do anything with the FP50D lamphouse as yet but as time goes on Know doubt I will.However as far as light output goes I do find the Kinoton product is the best I have found to date.

Stephen

------------------

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 08:02 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super Lume-x is a snap! I never had any problems with the Strong X-60-C. It seemed to adjust just fine for me.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-15-2000 12:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Ken! My thoughts exactly.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2000 03:31 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie SLC with motorized focusing adjustments. No contest.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-15-2000 04:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Super Lume-X! the definitive K.I.S.S. lamphouse!

Worst? hmm..... why for some ungodly reason do the letters C.....F.....S.....keep popping up <grin>

Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2000 04:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Ken on this one. Super Lum-Ex is by far the easiest. I have never really had much of a time with the super 80's either. They seem to just fall right in line if you sneeze hard enough.
Mark

Daryl Lund
Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 07:03 PM      Profile for Daryl Lund   Email Daryl Lund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Ken Super L is it you sure made mine light the screen?

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2000 01:53 AM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, you should have tried to adjust the "Philips" lamp house that had 4 mirrors and a clover leaf lens, we had a pair at Bentleigh, what a piece of shit. I think I still have the manual amongst my vast collection of manuals.
David

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-16-2000 07:58 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The phillips 4 mirror lamp was a pain to adjust but when properly done they produce an amazingly flat efficeint field of light ( we still have some in a lab) The worst to sdjust was the phillips pulse light. And some of the old 2 mirror verticles are a pain to align

Ethan Harper
E-dawggg!!!

- posted 05-16-2000 10:10 PM      Profile for Ethan Harper   Email Ethan Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i personally think the worst lamphouses to adj are the ones that i am unfortunantely using right now.

Strong highlight 1 series. these are underpowered pieces of crap on first note!

second I had the vertical perfect on one of them but the hot spot needed to go more left. No big deal right just turn the horizontal adj. knob but uh-oh move the horizontal and it rearranged my psition on the vertical. it gets very frustrating.

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2000 01:00 AM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree that the quality was fine, it was the quantity that was the problem. Why did the pulse light fail? was it just that the light output was low?
David

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2000 01:02 AM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, I believe that you slill use limelight in some of your shows? could you give us some advice on adjusting them as I am sure everybody is just as curious as I am.David

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-17-2000 10:02 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BEST: Strong Super Lume-X
WORST: Xenex L-1000

HONORABLE MENTION (BEST): Strong Lume-X
HONORABLE MENTION (WORST): Christie 1000 Console

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2000 05:55 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Limelight? No way, we moved to low intencity carbons months ago!

We did actually still have a Peerless lamphouse on the back of a Kalee 21 as the spare machine in Burnie, Tasmania up until Christmas last year. We split a pair of U3s and added a platter so the Kalees are no more. Want to buy one? With parts? I believe it is the original plant out of Cinema North Reservoir from opening in 1955 as the Plaza.

You will be pleased to know that the Rivoli has 16 plus fl on each screen. Movable top mask in the small screens plays havoc with the c/s though, some of these are over 25fl!

David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: