Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 35mm Film Collector's Forum here? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 35mm Film Collector's Forum here?
Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 07:27 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those 35mm film collectors that lurk here and at History In A Can... well it's history. I propose, if Brad wanted to do so, that a 35mm film collectors forum be set up here at Film-Tech. Brad has earned my trust in that he didn't do what another site did; i.e., solicit manuals for on-line use then took them off-line to sell them on CD-ROM (with copyright protection, no less). Film-Tech is not likely to be corrupted by 16mm influences.

Sorry for putting you on the spot, Brad, but what do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 12:38 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of a better place to have a a 35mm film collectors forum. Too bad it's leaving HIAC. I sure hate to see it go away.

Mitch Davis
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 01:43 PM      Profile for Mitch Davis   Email Mitch Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. It's funny, because it seems that nine tenths of the people who frequent HIAC's 35mm board are lurkers, and never post a word. In the end, it looks like there are about fifteen participants, but there's really a small legion of regular readers, just dying to see a new header pop up. I have to admit though, if I ever wanted to trade a print, I'd feel a bit weary of posting it in such a public forum.

Cheers,

Mitch D.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2000 01:46 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mitch hints at an important point--the Film-Tech site is sufficiently popular (which is great) that this may not be a very good place for a collectors' forum. A less-popular site would probably be a better place for something like this. Anyone want to suggest other alternatives?

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 01:51 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's keep the Film-Tech site as it is, and not a another Bring & Buy site for film collectors.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-14-2000 02:59 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that forum will continue in some form. I don't think here is the best place for it. (The lurking ratio is unbelieveably higher here, by the way.)

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 04:47 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello from a lurker. The only reason I can be catagorized as such is that I am not a theater owner for one, (though I would like to because there is only one theater within 35 miles and the place is a dump) second, I haven't gotten a chance to assemble my 35mm stuff and enjoy learning what to do and what not to do, lastly, compared to you guys I don't know squat and couldn't contribute anyway. So that is where I am. I hope like hell to be able to contribute to something in the future, but for now it is just shut up, listen and learn.

Long live 35.

Wayne Coston
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 06:55 PM      Profile for Wayne Coston   Email Wayne Coston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confess, I am a lurker. I have 34 years experience with 16mm projection in the classroom and auditorium. I also spent 16 years of my career managing a university 16mm film libary. We provided films to on campus classrooms and outside schools and processed orders, shipped and received, repaired, cleaned and catalogued our stock. I would like to own my own theatre with professional 35mm equipment. I have learned much from the regular contributors. And someday, I hope my dream will come true. A big thanks to everyone.

By the way our local Cinema, The Durant Twin Cinema, has four screens. The owner started with a twin. When it became successful, the other two screens were added!

------------------
F. Wayne Coston

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 09:40 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You dont have to be brilliant to post here. Look at me!

I worked forever in TV editing 16mm.
I worked for two years total in a drive-in... The first summer I played Star Wars every night....

When I finally wised-up and got rid of the 25 year 16mm collection, and moved on up to 35mm, I got two of the worst examples of 35mm portables to run the films. I like the remarks made about the Holmes 8's here on Film-Tech... good and (funnier) bad.

But, I dont think a forum here is a good idea either.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 08:01 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What collectors need is a secure site. Maybe one where you have to be a member to get into even to read. It would require a bit of pre-registration. That way, members could list their sales without worry of some unwanted eyes viewing them. I find it pretty scary the way some people over on HIAC discuss what they have and who they know, right out where anyone can read it. Nothin' like slapping the studios in the face!

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 11:54 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame that 35mm film collecting is becoming such a "hands-off" type of issue. Of course, it has always been so, but things don't seem to be improving, but getting worse. (The restoration book on Vertigo refers to this as being a "clandestine" type of hobby. I like that description, not that I want it, though.) As far we know, HIAC may have taken the same route as eBay... it just wasn't worth the legal harrassment and with no real significant benefits for the service provider.

The concept of a private forum is interesting, but who do you register and how can you positively ensure that a studio lawyer isn't allowed in?

I respect Brad's wishes and think Film-Tech is terrific by itself. For those of us not in the film business, film collecting is our only avenue of getting in on the fun of projecting and working with film. You guys and gals higher up on the food chain, have pity on us collectors and wannabees.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 03:10 PM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never completely understood why film companies try to stop film collecting. I can go to the video store and buy a copy of any movie ever made on video for 20 bucks. But trying to get it on film is a big no-no. It makes no sense to me.

There are plenty of people out there who would pay $1500 - $2000 for a good movie and it would allow the film companies to recoup the cost of making the print. It been said many times before that private collectors take better care of prints then film companies do, what's the harm in allowing private individuals to own a copy and thus preserve it?

Just my 2 cents.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2000 04:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting to note that on numerous occasions it was a collector's print which has now become the "new master" copy, as studio vaults have had floods or fires. Also, far too many negatives and such are stored in film cans...a no no with vinegar syndrome. Most collectors know of these things and will spend incredible amounts of money to ensure the safekeeping of their films. Heck, there have been old films dating as far back as the 1920s that were thought lost, but a collector turned up a pristine print that was carefully preserved from his own collection. Also, I know of not a single collector whom if approached by a studio looking for a film they have lost wouldn't gladly hand their copy over to restore the film for the future public.

Collectors are honest (and of course, fanatics) people who are not harming the studios in any way whatsoever. None of them I've ever known charge for any exhibitions they may do in the privacy of their own home, and that would only be for a couple of close friends anyway.

I think the real problem here is bootleggers. There is a BIG difference between a bootlegger and a collector. Collectors patiently wait until past the video release date to add a title to their collection, whereas bootleggers will actually break into a depot or theater to steal a print so they can transfer it to video and make a profit. They are two completely different things, yet collectors always seem to be made out to be criminals. It truly is sad.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 06:37 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad Miller said "... as studio vaults have had floods or fires. Also, far too many negatives and such are stored in film cans...a no no with vinegar syndrome."

I read a newspaper article where Robert A. Harris was talking about the restoration of "Rear Window". Seems that the preservation elements had been kept in a warehouse where the temperature often went above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.

Joe Caporiccio has worked with 20th Century Fox and has told me that one time he went to inspect the film elements for "South Pacific". Once they could find the picture but not the sound. The next time it was the other way around.

The studios would have better luck if they distributed prints to dedicated collectors rather than destroying them with the buzz saw.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2000 06:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As of a few years back, Fox completely LOST the negatives for The Abyss. The theater wanting to run the show (Northpark of course) was willing to pay to have a new print struck, since existing prints were below the theater's minimum acceptable condition. Fox said "SURE" (duh) and then called back 2 weeks later with "sorry, we really wanted to make you guys a print, but we've lost the negative".

Now technically, I know this isn't "Fox's" fault for "losing" the negative, but GEESCH people!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: