Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » This Sounds Silly But... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: This Sounds Silly But...
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 12:45 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you tell me what kind of projectors these are? I know they're Century's, but what model?

Pictures here:
http://www.oakwood-theatres.com/backstage.htm

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-14-2000 03:04 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its hard to tell what madel just by looking as there are several models of Century projectors that appear virtually identical from the outside. My best guess is they are SA or MSA, however they can be any other of the myriad alphabet-soup model names that Century has slapped on a A casing in recent years...

Aaron

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-14-2000 03:40 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and check out the $10,000 'Dolby Cinema Surround Processor'.

I think they should find another supplier.

Curtis Barnes
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 04:53 AM      Profile for Curtis Barnes   Email Curtis Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was a typo in adding one too many zeros. Those can be had for $1000 easy. Someone is trying to make their setup appear more advanced than it really is.

I would guess that is a Century SA with a TR4 soundhead but it is too crappy of a picture to tell for sure.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 11:26 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well first of all the pictures are horribly out of date. Our sound systems's in those auditorium are all SMART processors with DTS 6D units now.

The projectors were installed in 1987 if that gives you a clue.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2000 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin....you were better off with the CP-50's! You definately need a new equipment supplier.
Mark

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 07:37 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look like SA , but the picture is too small.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 08:25 PM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin,

The question is not whether you were better off with the CP-50 as Mark suggests, but whether you are having good results with the SMART processors.

Please feel free to post here, in the public eye for all to see, any questions, complaints, or problems you have with SMART equipment, and I will do my best to make sure that it gets taken care of.

The CP-50 was a fine piece of equipment, but it was not and is not the only good thing out there.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 08:29 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, Look on the front of the projector. there is a little metal plate with Red and Black lettering that will tell you the model. (There is another plate on the front of the sound head for the soundhead model)

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 09:53 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Working with all those "gears and pulleys" must be tremendously challenging!

Since the word "mall" implies "fairly recent" I would vote that they are SAs but I can't tell from the pics.

Russ

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 10:53 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*groan*
Yes, the website is bad, thats why I haven't provided a link to it until now. It is on my to do list, but a ways down. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll get around to it.

As far as the SMART's go, I have no real complaints. Most of our sound problems in these auditorium stem from varying sound levels between stereo and digital, this having mainly to do with us still using exciter lamps. We'll make the changeover to LED's with everyone else, but not until we absolutely have to I'm sure.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2000 07:13 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oscar,
When I say better off with the CP-50's I am always thinking in terms of the NR end of things. As far as SR goes nothing beats the real thing. At least in the 50 you can use cat 280's. IT IS also a big advantage to be able to advertise that you are showing in Dolby Stereo......like Dolby or not.

Dustin, The difference in sound level is likely due to two things. 1. Because your tech did not properly set up your systems. 2. Due to the exciter lamps getting dim. Your optical level will decrease but thats an easy adjustment that you can do with a loop of Dolby Tone. Just be sure to clean the optics first with a Q-Tip and lens cleaner. Only clean off the solar cell in a verticle motion and be very gentle as it can crack easily. If that does not fix it then the problem is #1.
Mark

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 12:01 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) We've had MTS out here several times to adjust the sound levels, but they keep 'going out' after a few days.
2) I don't have any Dolby Tone loop, or any test film for that matter.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-15-2000 12:26 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I know they're Century's, but what model?<<

Looks like an SA to me.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2000 04:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin, You DEFINATELY need a new service tech!!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: