Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX recertification

Author Topic: THX recertification
Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 12:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone out there had THX come out to do a recertification?

I know that my chain has several THX screens and only one complex has had recertifying by THX. Even this was done poorly. I had to go out and redo the A chain.

The companies pay for the privilege of advertising THX. Do they not also pay for the cost of having someone recertify them as part of that privilege?

|  IP: Logged

Curtis Barnes
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2000 05:08 AM      Profile for Curtis Barnes   Email Curtis Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This depends on the technician THX allows to perform the work. Most chain certified techs lie constantly about how well their theatres perform. Some sound like pure shit and have blown subwoofers, loud rattles from the air conditioning and so forth, but since they are certifying their own equipment, they are forced to lie to THX on the actual specs. If you get an independent THX tech, you should get good results. I wish THX would not allow in house techs to do recertification for their own chains.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-14-2000 10:59 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also tend to agree that recerts should be by independed outside engineers
If the boss says it will pass I am sure no corporate minian would allow it not to
The system is no better than the weekest link

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 01:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chain I work for has a tech that is capable of doing recerts. However, they do not have him doing them.

Am I wrong in assuming that THX is ultimately responsible to have them done, to make their own guidelines?

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 05:20 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our last THX re-cert was a killer. We had 3 visits and were jumping through hoops to finally get our major house past - the tech. was not associated with our chain. The air-con. noise was too high.

Is the Chinese Theatre Cinema one still certified? I heard it was going to lose it. I just love the way that drapes cover the hard parts of the auditorium prior to the feature beginning, does this still happen?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-15-2000 12:46 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>I wish THX would not allow in house techs to do recertification for their own chains.<<

This is the fox guarding the chicken coop!

Gordon wrote: >>If the boss says it will pass I am sure no corporate minian would allow it not to<<

You're right and I'm sad proof to the contrary. My only corporate engineering job was with Cinemuck in the late 80s. The head-honcho, boss engineer, who always let everyone know that he was from California, like that meant something (even in restaurants, it was embarrassing)... was not only their recertification man, but was going around the country designing and installing all their theatres wrong (filing everything to a one-size-fits-all, incorrect lens sizings, improper equipment alignment, poor installation practices, and an odd belief that moving the lateral guide roller after aligning a stereo cell didn't change anything).

I was hired as their Midwestern engineer, and they sent this big-cheese bozo over, who often appeared to be high on crack cocaine, to check me out for a few weeks on some installs. Shortly after I realized that HE was the one that needed to be checked out, I went to corporate VPs about what was happening to their theatres and why.

Well... to make a long story short, it's the only job I've ever been fired from.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-15-2000 01:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets face it it seems as though THX has really gone south for the most part. The idea is a great one but unfortunately there are too many corporate bozos in the mess for it to ever work right.
I was not aware that the Chineese #1 was ever certified. I heard that it couldn't be certified due to reverb problems(that could not be cured due to its landmark status). If it was certified at some point I suppose it musta been treated either acoustically or by some corporate schmuck.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-15-2000 03:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
haha Tim, I know EXACTLY who you're talking about. That's the same fellow who burned a hole in every frame of 2 new prints at a theater I worked with him at all because he refused, despite my pleading to "please use the test prints and not the new prints" for his playing around. He had never bothered to align the lamp.

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-15-2000 11:58 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of training/requirements are there for a tech certified by THX? How often do they have to submit to retrained? (Are they retrained?)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-16-2000 08:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Training is
1st you buy the R2 analyser
2nd have to haev gone to DOlby school
3rd take the THX recert course

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2000 01:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any technician thats worth a nickle should be using an R-2 irregardless of going to recert school or not. Its the best available for general theatrical use.
Mark

Stefan Scholz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2000 01:50 PM      Profile for Stefan Scholz   Author's Homepage   Email Stefan Scholz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love my R2, I have received the most consistent results in most auditoriums. It should really be preferred to all those handheld single mike plastic test toys generally seen over here.
There's only one drawback, it's an analogue piece of gear, with the computer just beeing a display unit. (Any 8088 IBM is fast enough)
That means it should be recaliberated due to aging of the filters. Something you don't have to do with those DSP units.
Advantage: Analogue filters have constant resolution over all bands. DSP has high at low end, and low at high bands.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-18-2000 07:06 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>> despite my pleading to "please use the test prints and not the new prints" for his playing around<<

Brad, that's the guy, and 'playing around' is the right phrase. He seemed to be more concerned with being "in charge" than with getting the job done. And you DARED to make a suggestion?!??!! Well, he was from CALIFORNIA, by gosh, and heaven forbid he'd let a good ol' boy from Texas or Kentucky tell him what to do!

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: