Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Non-Sync music...What do you play? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Non-Sync music...What do you play?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-12-2000 04:34 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like to play music people may not hear too much elsewhere...

At my old art deco (1935) theatre, I played 30's and 40's jazz which suited the place no-end.

At my current mainstream theatre, Elvis is very popular. Especially with the younger ushers who know of him only as a drugged out fat bastard. They are surprised to actually find he was a hellava singer and I find they actually REQUEST Elvis and are disappointed if I don't bring the CD with me.

Tonight at IMAX (Where our in-house cd collection consists SOLELY of the 'Everest' soundtrack...AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!...) I played YMCA by the Village people between the shows and looked out the port to see three ushers doing the dance! (Before the patrons came in, of course). When the patrons did come in, I played 'Car Wash' by Rose Royce and found several patrons dancing along with the song as they walked in.

Whatever makes the night more enjoyable for one and all...

What do you guys play? Do you have any say in it or does management keep the cd player under lock and key?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-12-2000 05:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend taking that cheezy music from your policy trailers (and don't tell me your music isn't cheezy) and copying it to a tape via the preamp out connections on the back of your processors. Then burn that to a cd, put it in the changer as a second disc and hit RANDOM/REPEAT! That way your audience can really get excited about being at (insert theater chain name here) theater between every single song!

Sadly though, most theaters are now running specialized cds that make them money through yet MORE ads. As if slide ads weren't enough...as if film ads still didn't cut it!

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 07:39 AM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a service for our non-sync music that we run here called Digital Music Express (DMX) off a satilite dish. Generally we keep it on the Adult Contemporary Channel unless we are going into the Christmas Season. They also have a website you could check out. http://www.dmxmusic.com

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 07:43 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When playing music such as "Car Wash" by Rose Royce or "YMCA" by the Village People, either before or after your presentation, are you not liable for BMI, SESAC, and ASCAP fees.. or does your theater already pay them?

Chris Rhode
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 07:54 AM      Profile for Chris Rhode   Email Chris Rhode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the techs that used to work at the theater that I work at had a smooth jazz CDs that he would load into the caddy and play until the place opened. Once we open, then we have to play that yucky Movie Tunes with Chris Eric Stevens!!! The name makes me want to vomit. They are in the process of puttting ads into the music although they don't have them in yet. Oh, the music they play is just the crappy popular stuff that you would hear on the radio like that Christina Aguillara and Toni Braxton, etc......

------------------
Chris Rhode

chrisrhode@hotmail.com

My reputation preceeds me..... in fact, it arrived about 45 years ago!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 07:59 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We run soundtracks from various movie titles. They're mostly instrumentals like "Braveheart", "CrimsonTide", "Titanic", "Saving Private Ryan", etc. I have never really been in favor of this because I think there are way better tunes out there than just soundtracks. The ownership and past management believed that people would enjoy listening to these songs since they were in a "cinema environment", but it is my finding that the average moviegoer is too stupid to realize the songs are from other films and just chalk it up as "elevator music".

Although I perfer to listen to hard rock during my shifts in the booth, I don't think soft rock would be all that bad coarsing through the Non Sync channel. The only CD that I ever replaced was "Forrest Gump" of all selections. We had a young mother complain that while waiting for some bogus Disney movie to start, her children were sarenated by Bob Dylan singing "Everybody Must Get Stoned". Oh well, can't please everybody!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-12-2000 08:12 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an advertisment company send us a CD. I won't really say it's got music, because it's mostly talking (like what Brad described) and 2-3 songs they are trying to promote. Whoever does the CD song programming for the advertisment company is always about 6 months behind the times. Also, the 'program' only lasts about 13 min., so it's likely a patron will have to sit through that crap twice.

My understanding is that our theater gives some amount (like $50-yr.) to ASCAP, and we can play whatever we want.

Oh, and a note to John Wilson; There's been an amemdment to the US constitution. Playing "YMCA" by the Village People has been defined as cruel and unusual punishment, and has be banned from playing anywhere....

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 09:00 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember the conspiracy theory about people with 3 names being assassins (sp?).

Just remember the name - Chris Eric Steven aka Movie Tunes Guy.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 04:19 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually play movie soundtracks. "Crimsom Tide", "Thin Red Line", "Blade Runner", Star Wars"... I play whatever I feel like at the moment, but very few people have complained so far. Quite the contrary, in fact.

The ushers have learned to be nice and polite to me, too. If they don't like my CD selection, I always switch a nice little XMas CD the management sent to me a few years ago, featuring a french child artist. The kid is about five and his Reggae Christmas Mix is a real killer. A few minutes of that and no more complaints!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-12-2000 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the "Movie Tunes" CDs which are royalty free. The music on them ranges from fair to crap. The announcer is probably the blandest guy since Casey Kasem. What really irritates me is they've started to put things after the songs like, "This CD is now available at all Target stores." We've long had a policy against in-theatre advertising, so I'm just about to tell MovieTunes to shove their CDs if they're going to keep doing that.

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 06:16 PM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have some crappy Theatre Radio Network thing. it's so bad. it has a mix of crappy new songs, crappy country songs as well as ONE good song. usually the Beatles. it's so lame...but it's better than Movie Tunes.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-12-2000 08:45 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Up here at the Fargo, we usually play organ recordings, which blend well with the 30's decor. once in a great while we might even
play public radio(yuck!)

Josh

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 09:51 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Hate Chris Eric Stevens!!!

My favorite quote:

quote:
Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to listen to movie tunes.

-Chris Eric Stevens

Yeah, I can just see it:

10:30-Board Meeting
11:00-Hair appointment
12:00-Lunch
12:30-Listen to Movie Tunes

I also like how they say "Advertise with movie tunes, we have a totaly captive audience," or something to that affect. Yeah, thats what we want to tell the patrons .

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-12-2000 09:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin - that is too funny. Yes, I'll change my schedule immediately to make time every day at 12:30 to listen to Movie Tunes....

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 10:50 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunatly, in the 17 plex we play a tape made for the theater chain from a local radio station with some current tunes and a lot of promotions crap. in the imax we were playing the fantasia soundtrack but now we have returned to the living sea soundtrack, we still control the music there - at least for now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: