Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » C.E. - FM35 - Cue Placement Specs

Author Topic: C.E. - FM35 - Cue Placement Specs
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2000 09:36 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill -
My theatre has already ordered a replacement failsafe but my problem is this.

The "inboard" - picture edge - cue does not pick up when the tape is overlapped the edge. Now if I take a cue and cover the sprockets, then the detector picks it up just fine. This only happens on one projector.

Is there anything that can be adjusted to pick up a "normal" cue.

Also, what is the range for the 3 cues as far as detection.

Thanks
Paul Konen

|  IP: Logged

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2000 02:40 PM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, tape that is rolled over the edge usually will not be detected. The aim points for the edge cue detectors are centered on the area between the edge of the film and the inside edge of the preforation. (Obviously, the third cue is in the dead center of the film---not the picture.) When you use long strips of cue tape which are folded over, there is not enough of the tape opposite the sensing area of the detectors. If you will go to: http://www.componentengineering.com/webdocs/fm-3537instr.pdf
page 2, you will see a drawing of the suggested arrangement. Most people use 1/4" cue tape and apply it between the perfs. Some tape will hang into the perf area, but just ignore it. The sprocket teeth will bend it out of the way without any problem. That which covers the SRD or the SDDS tracks will be too short to be a problem.

"Can this be adjusted to pick up a normal cue?" No, there is no adjustment, and anyway, we think our cues are the "normal" ones.

You ask what the range is, well, I am not sure what you mean by this unless it is where the cue has to be before it will be detected. It has to be directly in front of the sensor inside the black box. Once it is detected, however, the output pulse is stretched to about 1/3 second. You can play around with it by sticking a knife blade in there and then you will see when it fires.

If I haven't answered your questions, try again.

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2000 09:14 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill.

Yes, we usually just roll over the edge and the tape does not cover the perf. All of our projectors pick it up just fine. It was just this one and the solution was to fold over covering the perf only.

Thanks for the PDF, I will pass this on to my builders.

BTW, check your signature.

Paul
Legacy 24.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: