Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-50 Upgrade?

Author Topic: CP-50 Upgrade?
Bryan Fournier
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2000 08:43 PM      Profile for Bryan Fournier   Email Bryan Fournier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to upgrade my Dolby CP-50 to the equivalent of a CP-65. Can this be done? Can I install and use a Cat. 222 SR-A Card? If not, how can I upgrade to SR capability? Are any other cards needed? Currently I can only use Dolby A. Any suggestions would be helpful.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2000 09:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The easiest method is to remove the cat22 cards and replace with cat280T cards. Of course, an upgraded preamp cat108, matrix cat150 and output cat117 is desirable but not absolutely necessary.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-10-2000 08:09 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your really, really wanted to...yes you could upgrade your CP-50 to the point it was as flexible as the CP-65 and others. We used to make a daughter board for the CP-50 that added 3 6-channel inputs when used in conjunction with a Cat. 560. We set up the board so that you could upgrade as much or as little as you wanted (ie the Cat. 517, SRA-5 and Cat. 560 only added functionality but were not necessities. I put in a nifty circuit that would "look" at the Cat. 22 slots and see if Cat. 280Ts were present, if so, it would raise the optical sound by 3dB so it would match the digital levels. I also put in a hearing assitive output. Because of what it did, and the small production run, it was a bit pricey ($425). When you add that to the cost of a 560, 108C, 517 and either the SRA-5 or a pair of Cat. 280Ts...you had a pretty expensive CP-50...people that upgraded their CP-50s as each of those items came out were the buyers of it...ie they had the SR already, they just wanted to add digital capability.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2000 08:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
With the now cheap availability of CP-50's in the 500 to 750.00 price range these days if might be worth your while to put that card back into production again.........
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-11-2000 05:01 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

If my arm got twisted enough....I would make as many as we have PCBs left (something on the order of 5-10 units.

STeve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: