Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hello Joe What Da Ya Know? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hello Joe What Da Ya Know?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2000 07:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,
Anyway, I pretty much agree with your reviews in whole. I have one gripe though and that is that you complained about the hiss in the Ultra without stating any refrence point. This is all fine and dandy except you really need to go a few steps further in this sort of review and actually do signal to noise and distortion measurements for there to be some meaning. We are all aware of the units bypass switch problems and that its pretty good sounding. Its actually even THX approved(I think it still is)
We need to know what the processor alone is actually doing...... Wouldn't it be nice to know if your unit actually met factory specs? I'd love to know. I'm sure everyone else would too. As far as the noise goes, where was the gain set on the amps? What kind of amp was it? Where were the level pots set on the Ultra? How was the HF eq done? All of this is a BIG factor in overall system signal to noise ratio, and that is what you were listening to. Alot of techs simply leave amp gain all the way up. Some set it at some minus setting because they also hear the hiss and already have the output levels on the processor all the way down and the fader is only set at 3 for 100db in the room! Actually most techs don't really give a darn, don't understand, and would rather be out doing something else anyway. Amplifier gain, and speaker efficiency are something you HAVE to take into account in each installation. Sometimes you can actually hear the hiss in a given amp, connected alone, if its gain is all the way up.....and so on and so on.
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2000 08:05 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amp noise? Buy QSC.

Russ

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2000 01:12 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Mark, you really enjoy your Ultra, don't you? Anyway, I was just stating that the hiss was more audible on the Ultra's versus the Dolby's. We have QSC 1500a's in every auditorium with the gains set to max (except for some of the surround and sub amps where the processors can't be turned down low enough, and those are set to 12 o'clock). To be honest, I haven't heard any audible distortion coming out of the Ultra. Just noting that the hiss is more prevelant in the Ultra auditoriums.

All of the Ultra auditoriums had (roughly) the same amount of hiss. All of the Dolby auditoiums were also identical to eachother in regards to hiss. You can't hear the hiss when there is noise in the room or people talking, non-sync music playing, just stating that there is more hiss than the Dolby's. I really don't think this is such a big issue. I'm sure the amps themselves contributed to the hiss, but that's a different review.

I'm fairly certain that these units meet factory specs. But you can take comfort in knowing that I reviewed exactly what Ultra sends out, meaning you will get the same thing (if they still make these units... I think they have gone the way of the digital processor like the CP500, etc).

Also, my reviews certainly are NOT written just so everyone can agree with them.

Oscar Neundorfer
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2000 05:15 AM      Profile for Oscar Neundorfer   Author's Homepage   Email Oscar Neundorfer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the hissing problem in general, I have these thoughts. The most important thing to remember is that gain structure is very important to achieving the proper signal to noise ratio.

In my younger and more naive days, I always recommended that amps be run wide open, and then the processor gains should be set for the proper auditorium level. The SOLE reason for doing this was so that if an amplifier died, it was very easy for anyone to replace since there would be no concern about setting the new amp's gain. Just turn it all the way up, and there you have it. This was even more of a concern for biamp systems where the gains needed to be precisely set.

However, most processors have additional stages AFTER the fader, and these stages will always contribute SOME noise although it may be very little. If an amplifier has enough gain, this noise will be amplified to the point of audibility.

Techs from the field began to tell me that this was not the optimum way to do things. So later on I started recommending that amplifier gains be set 6 to 10 dB lower and then turning up the processor ouput levels to achieve the proper levels. The hiss decrease is sometimes dramatic by doing this. The gain STRUCTURE has been changed to put the optimum amounts of gain at each point in the system. The equipment has to be looked at as a system where the parts are optimized to work together as well as possible.

And regarding the comment about amps hissing, generally speaking amps are pretty quiet devices with S/N ratios around 100 dB or better, but do not be fooled, ALL electronic equipment has noise regardless of who makes it. The trick is to make sure every part of the system works at its best with every other part.

Now I will grant you that some equipment may be measurably and audibly more noisey than others, but for the most part, current products are pretty good in respect of noise. It is best not to think that you can simply treat all equipment the same in terms of setup procedures, however. Be flexible a bit and learn what works best for each type of equipment you have, and then there should be less opportunity for complaint. I have talked with several techs who take this approach, and it is amazing what good performance they can get out of any manufacturer's equipment.

------------------
Oscar Neundorfer
Chief Engineer
SMART Devices, Inc.

oscar@smartdev.com

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2000 08:43 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also would prefer to see actual test measurements, like THD, S/N, gain over frequency, etc. I'm a phone company kind of guy, and if measurements aren't referenced to dBm's, I get cranky, and amps should be rated in RMS, not that silly IHF. But that does take time and money.

I really like Joe's reviews for their practical "real-use" comments, which I think (ultimately) are of more use.

Question for Joe: Do manufacturers give you stuff to test (that you send back), or are you doing your reviews on equipment that is being installed or is already installed?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2000 09:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the reviews are on existing equipment Joe has access to. Recently we have started taking submissions from the manufacturers for Joe to evaluate.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2000 10:52 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I'm not a diehard Ultra fan but I have installed my share of all their models.....and everyone elses for that matter.
Oscar pretty much hit the nail on the head. One rerely has to run the amp gain wide open. In fact I hate those gain controls! Especially when they are on the front panel. I actually like to make attenuation pads from fixed resistors. I was taught this by John Allen a long time ago and its an important point that I really do agree with him on(there might be one other but I can't remember). It makes the system more tamper proof and it takes little time and costs practically nothing to do. Its a one time thing. The only case to leave amp gains wide open or to forget the pads would be if you have a poorly designed system with really inefficient speakers or a bad mismatch through a transformer(you shouldn't be using a transformer on an output though in this day and age). Actually any given processor should run at an optimum output level for the normal fader setting to achieve best signal to noise ratio. On a CP-65/CP-500 I want to say this level is around 700 millivolts. I'm not a hundred percent sure without checking but it is something like that. For a given processor it is based on how much head room the output circuitry has, which these days is ususlly quite a bit.
Anyway when a system is set up this way there is usually no audible hiss from the B chain even when you stand right in front of the speaker.....berhaps a tiny bit if you put your ear up close but no more than that.
Joe, you'd better have another look see at your settings.....Somethings wrong there.
Mark

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2000 10:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I agree with you on seeing specs. This is a good place to actually see what this stuff does in that department. Also a place to keep record of it.
Back in the 70's when high powered amps first came out I seem to remember that they had lower gain than thay do now. I want to say that the old DC300's and Phase Linears required at least a volt for full output if not a volt and a half. These days amps seem to be designed for full output with .775V(odb) or less input drive. This is certainly alot more gain and is un necessary in some cases.
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-09-2000 06:45 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who says I give any of the stuff back?

Anyway, I understand why you guys would appreciate official specs and performance numbers. I am a tech head and love seeing those same numbers on paper, even if they don't make a noticeable difference in the real world. But keep these two things in mind:

1)These are not lab tests. These are all tested in the real world, working in a real booth and playing real films, not just test noise patterns, etc...

2)I do not have all of the equipment to administer such tests, cannot currently afford it, and do not currently have the time to perform those tests if I did have the equipment.

Other than that, I hope everyone enjoys the reviews and finds them valuable.

As far as leaving the amp gains wide open, I do agree with Oscar, but many times it isn't feasable. In our big house we cannot meet the analog subwoofer level with our CP500's out put cranked to the max. Even with the amp gains maxed out, it still falls short. Of course, digital subwoofer level is easilly acheived. If I could have my way, all amp gains would be set to 12 o'clock, but I can't do that. I also like standardization.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-09-2000 08:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My $.02...

I think in the type of review as Joe does it really is one man's opinion based on personal experience and it should be taken as such. It isn't a quantitative analysis as you would expect from a magazine review.

In the case of Ultra-Stereo's JS series, I have found without exception what I would term excessive hiss, regardless of gain structure. Just walking into the auditorium, you get assaulted by hiss as compared to say a current CP-500 or CP-65. The early CP-500's had the same problem.

As far as distortion goes, I have yet to be in an auditorium Ultra Stereo equipped and not been able to tell that it was an Ultra processor (on analog...harder to tell for digital).

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-09-2000 08:51 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of test equipment; does any one actually own a wow/flutter meter? Does it do any good to measure it?

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-09-2000 09:00 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I'm sorry, but what the heck is IHF?

Josh

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-09-2000 09:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got 17 Ultra*Stereo at Cinemark. I like them pretty well but everything mentioned in the review seems pretty accurate to me.

You can hear the hiss when the auditorium is quiet. They do have trouble switching between formats w/ DTS. AND they do blow a lot of power supply cards. I've only had one bad format card, though.

I like them but I DO wish we had Dolby. To me it's like buying a cheap computer, or something like that... You CAN get a Pentium chip in a Packard-Bell, but wouldn't you rather have something like a Gateway? (Or whatever)

Same goes for processors... Yes, Ultra*Stereo has SR decoding but wouldn't you rather have the original?

PS: What do those Goldberg platter reels cost?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-09-2000 09:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I do own a Leader wow and flutter meter. It has come in handy a number of times. I've measured almost all commercially made sound reproducers at one time or another with projector mounted(this affects it drastically). As far as optical goes the Kalee wins for lowest w&f spec. The w&f meter has also been handy for servicing and setting up mag dubbers. Digital systems exhibit almost 0 wow and flutter though since they are refrenced to their internal clock.

Joe, Let me know if you ever want SN and distortion figures taken on a unit. I'd be glad to do it for you.
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-09-2000 09:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg platter reel will run roughly $350 depending on where you purchase it. Now that is assuming you do NOT purchase the shipping case and JUST the reel. However, what use would the shipping case really be for the use reviewed?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: