Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SRT Speaker Systems

Author Topic: SRT Speaker Systems
Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else tried out the IBS sub woofers made by a company called Sound Research Technologies?

My dealer sold me one after I kept popping JBL's trying to drive a large auditorium.

It has two 15 inch drivers which fire into water baffles (quite heavy once filled).

The EQ looks good with minimal equalizer adjustments. So far I have heard "Rules of Engagement", "U-571" and "Gladiator". I am pretty impressed. This thing replaced six 18 inch JBL subs and is running circles around them using only a single QSC MX-1500 amplifier. I am told that the drivers have a THREE INCH excursion capability so there should be little risk of the fate of the JBLS. I popped the voice coils right out of the magnets on them. They are being re-coned and sent to smaller auditoriums.

I forget the price of the unit, but I know it's cheaper than six of anything else.

Just curious if anyone else has seen them. I got the impression that they were a new thing.

Russ

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-05-2000 11:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have not seen them, but the best subwoofer money can buy is the BGW M2200. It lists at around 5 grand. Has a built in 2KW power amp that can run off 120/240 mains. Nothing else even comes close! Check it out on their web site. I am curious about the SRT though.
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-05-2000 11:35 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds as if you had the original JBL 4645 with the 2245H driver (foam surrounds). It really was mis-speced for cinema use. It should only be considered a 300 watt driver in cinema applications.

So far the JBL 4645C (uses the 2242H, 800 Watt driver) with B-6 tuning has been my favorite. The Senator theatre in Baltimore has 8 of them in a distributed array (four on each side).

BTW we do JBL recones (factory) and have diaphragms.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2000 12:32 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bgw.com/subs/subs.html

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-08-2000 05:18 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.

The ones that pop most are the foam surrounds. The rest of the subs use the stiffer driver.

It was the stiff variety that blew in the large auditorium. They were properly EQd and I always set up levels with the amp outputs set at maximum (to prevent bass loving operators from exercising "artistic license" *grin*).

Go hear one of these things! The sound pressure that they deliver is scary! I un-plugged the sub array, plugged this in and scared myself half silly!

I'm not kidding you guys. This reminded me of my childhood experiences with "sense-around".

The box is no bigger than a lobby trash can.

It's rated power handling capibility coupled with the very low power that I'm sending it tells me that I wont be re-coning it in this lifetime.

Oh, I can't remember the last time I had to pay to re-cone a JBL. I even told the woman on the phone that I had abused them! They warrant the repair for a year anyway. Gotta love that! JBL and EV are my stage systems of choice. I'm trying out two EV Vari-Plex stage systems (I hate to EQ) so I like them so far.

Russ

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-01-2000 10:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering how well these subs are standing up now that they have been in a while
Does the manufacturer have a web site

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2000 12:44 AM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually hooked up the RTA before replying!

(Okay, I was checking the house anyway!)

Still looks good. Um, I did have to anchor it to the floor to keep it from wandering about (literally).

I know that the words "efficient" and "sub-woofer" do not normally appear in the same sentence, but I replaced a QSC-1400 with a QSC MX-1500 in order to drive it. It would appear that I didn't have to.

I sometimes think that the traditional sub-woofer was designed during a time when power was expensive. I have never done a "watt-per-dollar" study, but I suspect that "watts" are cheaper in modern amplifiers.

I'm no engineer, so you would have to ask the designer. I suspect that he is using the increased "mass" of water in place of huge cabinet design.

This thing literally pumps out low frequencies and just grins at you. I have pushed mine for fun (while the theatre is closed), but I feel that I might hurt myself before I would hurt the drivers.

It's really worth a listen. NCS carries them.

Russ

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: