Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultrastereo self destruct button

Author Topic: Ultrastereo self destruct button
Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week somebody pressed the "Standby" power supply button on one of our Ultrastereo processors. The power supply (JPS-10) destroyed itself, along with the format card.
I still don't know if any of the speakers are blown. I ordered new cards and the new power supply has the Standby button removed. I guess Ultrastereo figured out what a bad idea it was. My tech said that he's seen a lot worse things happen from people hitting that button. Our other processors still have the Standby button in place. Are there any tricks to disabling or removing the button?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2000 02:13 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That's an "anti-tinkerer" button! That way the engineer will know if someone was messing around with the processor.

(Actually, I've never had this problem with an Ultra Stereo unit, but I have heard of this.)

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-04-2000 02:30 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultra Stereo sucks. But I can't say I've ever had one self-destruct on me. Safe to say I'd be taking a bat to one if it did. Take it out into a field and smash the hell out of it like they did in Office Space with that fax machine. I know many's a time I felt that way about Telex video projectors at my last job. Film and Video should never be integrated into one movie theatre. It's a shame those video projectors didn't have an auto-destruct button.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-04-2000 07:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whae you get the new power supply in tear the switch off the module and solder across it. I always do this,even with brand new units. That switch has caused many a disaster.
Mark

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2000 11:21 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dwayne, just what I was thinking! That scene in Office Space was hilarious...what other cinema equipment deserves the Office Space treatment?

Um, let's see...CFS Superplatters? Monee projectors? Anyone else? How about those stupid lamphouses that use a 45 degree mirror to reflect the light into the gate from below?

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2000 01:22 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm wonder if that should be labled the "upgrade" button. Pressing it forces you to upgrade your equipment, to umm say like the likes of Dolby

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-05-2000 02:31 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Hmmm wonder if that should be labled the "upgrade" button. Pressing it forces you to upgrade your equipment, to
umm say like the likes of Dolby

If you want to upgrade get the panastereo then you are in the proaudio league rather than a cp45

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-06-2000 10:47 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand you can press the button IF AND ONLY IF you have an external power supply hooked up and operational before you press it. Of course, I don't know anybody who does have it.

Since those switches cause the P.S. to spontaneously self-destruct (even if you didn't press it) we've had a lot of them get replaced. They all come back with the switch removed and the hole plugged out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: