Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor print delivered on...Wednesday?

Author Topic: Technicolor print delivered on...Wednesday?
Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 02:06 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats going on here? We got our print of "I Dreamed of Africa" today. Normaly Technicolor prints come on Thursdays around 1pm and ETS come Friday around 6am. Also, it being a Sony print I expected a beat up grey can, like every other Sony I've ever seen. But no!! We got a decent orange can. Is this a sign of things to come, or just some fluck?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-03-2000 02:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you mean "fluke"?

Tell us this, what does the address label say for a delivery date? That will tell us if Airborne screwed up and delievered it a day early or if it was intentional. (GOD how I hope it was intentional!) Unfortunately, I'm thinking Airborne just delivered it early, as those prints commonly sit in the Airborne docks for 24 to 72 hours before they are allowed to actually bring them to the theaters.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-03-2000 05:24 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get our Tech prints on Wednesday about half the time now. About 6 months ago, somebody from Airborne called me and asked "if we have freight for you a day ahead of schedule, would you object to receiving it early?" Of course I said "No problem" and now we get frequent early shipments. It might have something to do with your geographic location and the nearest Airborne hub, but it might be worth a call to Airborne to let them know that you're willing to accept early deliveries.

BTW, thanks to all who have responded to my trailer questions (see separate topic), please keep'em coming!

Mike Blakesley

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 08:29 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes *gasp* the shipping labels say Wednesday.

Robb Johnston
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 09:17 PM      Profile for Robb Johnston   Author's Homepage   Email Robb Johnston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not entirely suprised. We often get Tech prints on Wednesday when there is a lot of product coming out. With the saturation of Gladiator being delivered on Thursday with 3 cans each (It has an anticipated run time of 2:45 to 2:50) they moved Africa today to save space in the vans.

Now if we get a Wednesday delivery on a week when everything else is an ETS print, then I will be suprised.

Chris Rhode
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 11:11 PM      Profile for Chris Rhode   Email Chris Rhode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my print of I Dreamed of Africa on Tuesday. But then again it was just for a screening. It is not coming out this week is it? As for Airborne dropping off prints early, I talked with the senior management at my theater and they said that they have some kind of contract with airborne or technicolor that they deliver the prints on a certain day and between a certain time window (normally mine was on Thur b/t 4p-6p). Now it is Thur b/t 3p-5p. The old window was a problem because seeing as how my theater has 24 projectors and I don't get a chance to build up prints until 6pm, I never get finished until 11pm (and that was just the building up, not screening!) Things improved, and management were nice enough to schedule some more people on thursday to help with build-up.

One last thing: Airborne sucks!!! They need to be more like Benton Brothers and deliver their prints a week ahead of schedule and just let us pick a convienent (spelt correctly?) time to have them pick up old prints.

I am just rambling on and on and on and on and on and on............

Chris

Scott Magie
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 11:30 PM      Profile for Scott Magie   Email Scott Magie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got Gladiator today (Wed.) and last week I got Flintstones on Wednesday too. Could Technicolor actually be doing something helpful?

------------------
Scott A. Magie

scoooot@hotmail.com
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-04-2000 02:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The way to tell if they are intentionally delivering is of course, the date on the shipping labels. I checked around today and it seems everyone got their Africa prints in today. I've been told a main reason for NOT delivering a print early is to prevent bootlegging (but we've got the CAP code, right )?

Anyway, if the late delivery thing is true, I guess they realized no one in their right mind would want to bootleg the Africa movie!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: