Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Some trailer questions for multiplex operators (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Some trailer questions for multiplex operators
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-02-2000 11:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you all know, it is becoming harder and harder for a small theatre (like mine) to get enough trailers. I am planning to write a letter to NATO (to be cc'd to some film companies) addressing this problem and I would like to gather some information from you multi-screen operators before I write it. Please take a minute to answer these questions. The more responses I get, the more info I can give to the appropriate people. The idea is to get as many of their trailers on screens as possible!

1. How many screens do you have?

2. Do you have to order trailers yourself (or your company does it), or do you receive automatic shipments from the film companies?

3. How many trailers for a typical film do you receive? (Total of flat & scope)

4. How many trailers do you receive that never get used?

5. Do you send trailers back? If not, what do you do with them (give to another theatre, storage, disposal, etc?)

6. If a small theatre in your vicinity wanted to acquire your excess/used trailers, would you (or could you) cooperate?

Answers to these questions will be greatly appreciated, along with any other comments you might have about how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Mike Blakesley
Roxy Theatre

|  IP: Logged

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2000 12:25 PM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. 12 screens
2. we get 'em automatically
3. we get anywhere from 1 copy in each format to six or seven in each format (fox, bv)
4. about half of the trailers we get, we don't use
5. i have them all boxed up and addressed to get sent back, but the UPS guy hasn't been called...still
6. sure, i'd get rid of trailers. i figure if we have 9 copies of a movie we might not get anyway, why the hell should we bother to do anything other than throw them away?

Juan Mendez
Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2000 12:57 PM      Profile for Juan Mendez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In answer to your questions:

1) Thirty
2) Actually all three, some companies like Buena Vista, Paramount, and Sony send them on their own, my manager orders Universal, New Line Cinema, and MGM, Lion's Gate, Fox. MGM hardly ever sends anything.
3) It depends on how many of whatever they have sent before, but usually two, four or six, half Scop, half Flat.
4) When its all said and done, about one or two trailers never get used. But when they send us alot like Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Me, Myself, and Irene, I'll never use that many.
5) The policy is to throw them away, but I try to send some back, and the rest I keep to build up in one giant trailer pack so when I train new people they can practice threading, and running a projector with that.
6) I wouldn't mind handing a couple over, but I think my managers would.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 05-02-2000 01:35 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

My business partner (Ian...who is a frequent poster to this forum) and I operate a 5 screen arthouse in Northern California. I find the whole trailer thing very frustrating as most of the companies we deal with won't release trailers to us until we have a firm date. Once we have a firm date trailers have either been all gobbled up by the major markets. There are some exceptions - Consolidated Poster Service which handles all of Sony Pictures Classics stuff is great and I always make sure to return their trailers promptly. Miramax is frequently frustrating as they seem to send stuff out to their regular clients and then there is nothing left at National Screen.

Sometimes I want 5 trailers of something and we frequently show 6 or 7 films in our 5 plex - the most I've ever gotten is 3 - usually 2 flat one scope.

We return most trailers, however, we have also "adopted" a small market theatre whose operator is a friend of ours and he gets all the unsolicited stuff we get sent and the trailers we are done with that don't need to be returned or we ask him to return them to the trailer service when they are finished with them.

If I order trailers, I make sure I use them. Since I pay for shipping of trailers I order, I don't order stuff I don't need.

Good luck. Thanks. Ky

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-02-2000 01:44 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth (not much, probably), in a single-screen art-house environment, we had to pretty much order and pay shipping for any and every trailer that we wanted. And they often weren't available by the time that we finally played various pictures.

I threw the old ones in a box labelled "old trailers"; I'd re-use them when we occasionally would bring back a popular film. Eventually, they'd end up in my basement. Personally, I really don't see the point of returning trailers; it's a waste of postage costs and it's nice to keep old trailers around in case the theatre brings a given film back and for training/demonstration purposes. I did, however, return anything that specifically said "return this after use" in the packaging material.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2000 05:05 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>1. How many screens do you have?

>>2. Do you have to order trailers yourself (or your company does it), or do you receive automatic shipments from the film companies?

They usually come automaticly. Sometimes
we'll order more if we didn't get enough, but that rarely does any good.

>>3. How many trailers for a typical film do you receive? (Total of flat & scope)

Depends on the company. Fox- 6 to 7 of each. Disney the same. Paramount 3 or 4 each. Ne Line 2 or 3, 4 if its a big movie, each. The rest seem to be sent out at random.

>>4. How many trailers do you receive that never get used?

If the competeing theatre in town has that movie booked, which means we won't show it, we don't use them at all.

>>5. Do you send trailers back? If not, what do you do with them (give to another theatre, storage, disposal, etc?)

If I'm sent a pre-paid label I always send them back. If not, they go into 'storage' for a while and eventually end up getting thrown away.

>>6. If a small theatre in your vicinity wanted to acquire your excess/used trailers, would you (or could you) cooperate?

Yes we would.

Russ Kress
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-02-2000 10:21 PM      Profile for Russ Kress   Author's Homepage   Email Russ Kress   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
11 Screens.

They arrive automatically. We use what we are able to.

The rest are heaped in piles.

I used to work for Cinema USA (now defunct) and we had to beg for trailers.

There is no intelligence involved with trailer distribution! I think it must be a government thing! (LOL)

Russ

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have six screens, and pretty much all the trailers I get are automatic sends. Some weeks there will be twenty, some weeks none. It all depends on our bookings, and placement requests. Fox sends A TON of trailers-I must have got seven or eight for Me, Myself, and Irene, generally Fox sends about 50/50 Scope & Flat.
I find that the trailers either attached to the print or loose in the can are more than sufficient for programming, in fact, there are often too many trailers with a print. In years gone by, there may have been one or two trailers with a print for the studio's upcoming releases. Now it seems like every studio has a deal with another studio to include their trailers with print. Why are Paramount trailers coming with Sony films?
As far as sending trailers back, I believe we covered this in another thread not too long ago, but I put all Fox trailers aside, slap on the pre-paid UPS label, and send them back when I get a box full. The other studios don't pay return shipping-they don't get the trailers back. The scam that Technicolor is pulling on charging for print delivery AND returns is bad enough-I'm not paying for sending trailers back, too. If there were another theater in town, I would have no problem sharing trailers.

Chris Rhode
Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 11:23 PM      Profile for Chris Rhode   Email Chris Rhode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. 24 Screens
2. The trailers normally come automatically, however if I am in need of more trailers (if they don't send enough) then I have to call the distributor and order more trailers. Do they ship them? No. Why? Anyone's guess.
3. Ranges from 1 of each on up to 10+ each (thank you Fox)
4. Depends on what film the trailer is and what we are told to put on each print we are showing (as per weekly trailer log)
5. At first no, but we manage to steal some old boxes from concession and just collect all of the return labels the distributors send us and send them back. Of course I keep trailers of movies I like!!
6. If we were able to cooperate (meaning if we were allowed to) sure!! I always like to help people out (just as long as you don't work for Technicolor or Airborne).

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-08-2000 05:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all who replied to this little survey. If you haven't answered the questions please do so.

Mike Blakesley

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 05-09-2000 04:32 AM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
#1. 4 (at my theatre) - 40 circuit-wide

#2. We've found that our theatres that have ALWAYS been First Run get stuff automatically shipped to us. Our theatres that we've ressurected from Discount have more trouble. We assume there is a list that somebody needs to put us on, but nobody ever seems to do so. We end up having to order specific trailers for our lesser theatres.

ALSO - Having a good repore with Exhibitor Relations Reps. helps a lot. We are in GREAT with New Line - they love us. We ask for it... they send it.

#3. Technicolor only allows HALF of your total screens in trailers. They don't understand that sometimes you play more than one film in each house, but still, it makes sense for your typical first run theatre.

#4. I would say about half. Most of the time it's because all of our movies are Scope - and they sent us mostly FLAT trailers. Other times it's just because we're too darn lazy to change the trailers for something new. (It's not a trailer unless it's ingrained into your memory for an eternity)

#5. NOPE - Trailers end up getting sent to the District Manager - which he then takes home and throws in a box in his film vault in hopes that one day he'll want 50 copies of a Stuart Little preview.

#6. If such a small theatre were on friendly terms with our company, then yes. We like helping out the smaller guys when we can, as long as we aren't competing for the same product.

James R. Hammonds, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 01:33 PM      Profile for James R. Hammonds, Jr   Email James R. Hammonds, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hay, juan, i noticed you work at a 30 screen in houston....is it ineof the amcs? (dont remember if anyone else has a 30 in houston)
i know you posted a while ago, so its possible you dont work for the theatre and not posting anymore, but i thought id ask.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 02:25 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor and National Screen service are a waste of time. I've had ZERO backorders since I started calling the Exhibitor Relations departments of the various companies. If I need a BV trailer, I call BV, etc. 100% efficiency thus far.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2001 02:28 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. 8

2. Combination of both - when I receive my weekly trailer requests from corporate, I look in the cabinet and see what I have, then order what I need to fulfill the requests.

3. 2 Flat/2 Scope (or so...depends, there's no set amount)

4. Maybe 2-3/week.

5. Send them to our discount theatre in Omaha, NE.

6. No, my material is already spoken for.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-26-2001 02:53 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Eight screeens

2. Trailers are automatically shipped to us

3. 8 flat and 8 scope (that's an average sometimes it's more (like the fifteen copies of "15 Minutes" we were sent!)

4. We throw away about half of any given title

5. No, don't return them. We usually throw them away. Only very rarely do we get the pre-paid return shipping bags, and when we do, it's only for one company. Depending on what's comming out, we may throw out about 30-40 trailers every two weeks. No one has the time to sort out just one company's trailers, and then throw the rest away.

6. Generally, we would give them to any one who asked, but they would have to come and get them. We would not pay for shipping, or even pay for a person's time to sort them.

We keep a "core" for several weeks with the trailers we want- we reuse the core, so we don't need that many trailers. We've tried telling this to the distributors hoping they will send less, but the trailers keep comming.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: