Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Gladiator in Dolby EX but not DTS ES? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Gladiator in Dolby EX but not DTS ES?
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-30-2000 06:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I made up our print of Gladiator on Saturday and the cans say it's in Dolby EX. I've checked the dts magazine as well as their website but it doesn't say that it's in ES as well.

Why would this be? If the mix has been made, why not utilize both systems?

It may well end up that it is in fact in dts ES, but our discs have not yet arived, only the print.

Does anyone know for sure the dts format?

BTW, has it ever happened before where a US made film has opened in Australia a day before the US? Even Dundee 2 opened the same day. Interesting...

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-30-2000 06:52 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not really familiar with the es unit but I believe it can be forced on as the decode matrix is basically the same as EX as there is only on encodeing system

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-30-2000 08:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Never trust the cans. If the cans were correct, then I guess such films as Backdraft were somehow printed in DTS without a timecode!

I've also seen classic mono "variable density" prints clearly labeled as "quad track".

If it's EX, it is ES too.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-01-2000 12:17 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russell Crowe just called me at home and told me that it was indeed in DTS-ES. Then he hung up.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-01-2000 12:22 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some guy named MR.VEE just called me and was about to tell me how cap coding works, but my telephone exploded....

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-03-2000 08:42 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS disks for Gladiator are marked E.S,got ours yesterday.

------------------

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 05-05-2000 03:42 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Redifer:
Russell Crowe just called me at home and told me that it was indeed in DTS-ES. Then he hung up.

You should be thankful you didn't get a darn good phone line gouging!

It is in ES, our discs arrived Tuesday night. Ran it first time Thursday and Lordy Me! She sound GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

(Loud though... we're down a couple of points from our usual level)

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

David Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2000 05:04 AM      Profile for David Johnson   Email David Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, has it ever happened before where a US made film has opened in Australia a day before the US? Even Dundee 2 opened the same day. Interesting...

[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes. "How the West was won" 3 strip Cinerama opened at Plaza Melbourne before the US
David

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-05-2000 05:24 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Russell Crowe came and screened one of our Gladiator prints tonight at my theatre. He said that he liked the EX, but felt that Toy Story 2 was the more definitive mix as far as EX is concerned. He did feel that the sound was a bit harsh in spots, but overall a decent mix. It was hard to get all of this information out of Russ since he tends to mumble a lot.

After the movie he used the booth restroom and did not flush the toilet.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-05-2000 05:39 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The EX was done nicely in the opening scene, but geez...did the mixers just HAVE to add that distortion in the music to give the illusion of loudness? It was very obvious on that first scene. I thought the dialogue was over sweetened just a tad rendering it slightly harsh. For some reason the dialogue seemed to be mixed in a bit too loud as well in comparison to the music and fight scenes. Made me feel like turning down the center a decibel or two! That is what will prevent most theaters from running this movie at a true reference level, as a couple of members have already pointed out.

Anyway back to the point, past that opening scene, I didn't really notice anything special about this mix. No obvious use of the EX channel.

Damnit, what is Gary Rydstrom's next movie and when will it be out?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2000 11:33 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Brad. I felt that the film sounded 'compressed' and 'thin' (even in DTS). None of the expansive lushness that one expects from recent mixes.

Gee, here is a film which I dislike on every conceivable level, be it technical or artistic. (Did I just use the word 'artistic' in connection with this title?)

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2000 06:29 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, its in DTS-ES as well. ANY film released in DD-EX will play in DTS-ES, as will DTS-ES play in DD-EX.

I know this is confusing but the surrounds are encoded so both the DTS-EX and DTS-ES can decode them.

Karen at DTS

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2000 06:38 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I forgot to mention that all "extended surround" encoded films released in DTS will have a 5-digit serial number under the film title (on the discs). This will ensure that the sound track on the disc is indeed "extended surround" encoded.

In the previous message, I was a bit vague. Its true that any film mixed for "extended surround" may be played back in Dolby-EX or DTS-ES (or other manuf. w/that type of technology). The key is, for DTS, if the disc has the correct mix version. Four digit serial number = 5.1, Five digit serial number = exteneded surround. I hope that is clearer. Sorry if I confused anyone.

Karen at DTS

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-06-2000 03:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also noticed that on any DTS-ES movie that "ES" is printed right after the 5-digitt serial number on the disc. Just look for the letters "ES" on the disc. All it takes is a quick glance. If you have your ES system hooked up to your DTS unit timecode cable, then you just plop the discs in and forget about it, as playback is 100% automatic. Even certain trailers will play in ES and others will not, all automatically off of the same trailer disc!

Adam Wilbert
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-28-2002 12:19 AM      Profile for Adam Wilbert   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Wilbert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Brad, I know this isn't "Film Handlers Forum" material, but the thread was already here, so i'm tacking my question to the end. Feel free to move it if you wish )

I just rented Gladiator on DVD, and noticed 2 things:

1) The DVD has DTS-ES, but not Dolby Digital EX. A bit odd, considering the above thread on the topic, i thought.
2) I've never actually heard or seen an ES or EX home decoder. Does anyone know of or have any experience with one? I'm guessing this is just a selling gimmick.

-adam

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: