Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Older movies that shouldn't be missed... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Older movies that shouldn't be missed...
John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-29-2000 04:31 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was training a new projectionist the other day (he's 18 years old) and we were chatting about movies and such. I got on to some older titles and asked if he'd seen them to which he answered "No."

This got me thinking about how many movies there were that I really liked, even loved from the seventies and eighties that these guys wouldn't ever know about unless someone like you or I told them about them. This way, maybe they'll take the time to rent them from the video store, or if they turn up on the rep circuit...

It may be a blockbuster of its time or an obscure title that came and went in the blink of an eye, but would be worth a look to prove to these guys that good movies were made in those days which didn't necessarily have the words 'Star' or 'Wars' in the title and were not linked to Steven Spielberg.

So, here's my list...

Top Secret, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The Deerhunter, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Right Stuff, The Conversation, The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3, Three Days Of The Condor, Deliverence, Airplane, The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane, The Goodbye Girl, American Graffiti, Smokey and the Bandit, The Towering Inferno, Airport, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only, Trading Places, The Killing Fields, Rocky, Romancing The Stone, Breaking Away, Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

OK, so I was kidding with the last one. Which others would you recommend?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2000 05:17 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the seventies, I'd recommend Godfathers I and II, Rocky, The Marathon Man, Jaws, Apocalyse Now, and Mad Max. I still haven't seen the classics Chinatown and All the President's Men, and I need to rent them when I can actually remember to do so.

As far as the eighties go, I enjoyed First Blood, Dogs of War, Superman II, Life of Brian (though I wouldn't recommend it to any religious buffs out there), Real Genius, Fright Night (both mid eighties), and of course The Terminator. And those are just movies off the top of my head as far as those decades go.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Martin Frandsen
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2000 05:34 AM      Profile for Martin Frandsen   Email Martin Frandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's mine:

Kelly's Heros, The Poseidon Adventure, Oliver, Earthquake, A Bridge To Far, The Blue Lagoon, Flashdance, Blue Thunder, Octopussy, The Bear, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, The Killing Fields, The Last Starfighter, The Goonies, Dirty Dancing, Pale Rider, Silverado, The Fly, The Breakfast Club, Top Gun, Good Morning Vietnam, Robocop, Stakeout, Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

What great films!

I'm happy that i am not a teenager today, geez in 20 years they will be talking about great movies from the nineties, they will say 'Do you remember The Mummy, wow it was cool!'

------------------
It's the new small talk. You do it so awfully well! - My Fair Lady

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-29-2000 11:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey John! "Sgt. Peppers" was the first movie I ever heard in Dolby Stereo optical. Since disco was still big in those days, my circle of friends enjoyed seeing the Bee Gees in that picture, too. It will always hold a special meaning for me. But I agree, though, the movie was a real stinker.

(Yes, I had a couple of polyester suits back then, too!)

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2000 03:45 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some great Films with Dustin Hoffman need to be on the list:

The Graduate
Papillon
Tootsie
Rain Man (One of my all time favs. - "I'm
excellent driver ---- Dad lets me drive
slow and on the driveway, only on
Saturdays")

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 04-29-2000 08:11 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's my list:

Bringing Up Baby, The Philadelphia Story, To Have and Have Not, The Big Sleep (not the "restoration with added footage"), Breakfast at Tiffany's, Cabaret, What's Up Doc?, Diva, Cinema Paradiso, The Man in the Moon (not the recent Jim Carrey pic), Like Water For Chocolate, Strictly Ballroom, A Room With A View, Belle Epoque, To Catch A Thief, Rear Window, The Trouble With Harry, Notorious, Suspicion, Dial M For Murder (in 3-D), Vertigo, Psycho, Frenzy, Family Plot, Still of the Night, After Life, Lone Star, The Celluloid Closet, Victor Victoria, Bob Roberts

Yes its a very eclectic list and written totally stream of conscious with no particular order.

George Roher
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-29-2000 10:51 PM      Profile for George Roher   Email George Roher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recommend anything with Peter Sellers. The Party, Being There, The Pink Panther films, and The Smallest Show on Earth. You gotta love a film that makes fun of the idea of a theatre running without a projectionist. I'd also recommend most of Woody Allen's stuff from the 70's. And I must mention the best film of the 80's, Blade Runner. A lot of other good films have already been mentioned.

Scott Magie
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 12:10 AM      Profile for Scott Magie   Email Scott Magie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd just like to give a heartfelt "Amen!" to the aforementioned films, (except for Like Water for Chocolate).
A special even more heartfelt "Amen!" to the following:
The Conversation
Apocalypse Now
The Godfather
The Holy Grail
Good Morning Vietnam
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Rain Man
Cabaret

To add a few of my own...
The Princess Bride
Honey, I shrunk the Kids (I'm not joking)
On the Waterfront (a bit older, but...)
Raging Bull
Field of Dreams
Hoosiers
The Sting
Chariots of Fire
Annie Hall
Rear Window
Scent of a Woman

and I'm sorry, but I must list a few 90's movies that I think alot of people missed...

The Hudsucker Proxy
Dead Man Walking
The Rocketeer (the most overlooked film ever!
October Sky
Crimson Tide
Red Rock West
Rounders
Everyone says I Love You
The Player
Fargo (everyone saw it, but I gotta list it)
Braveheart (ditto)

Okay, I better stop before the sun comes up.

------------------
Scott A. Magie

scoooot@hotmail.com
"Anybody wanna peanut?"

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-30-2000 03:44 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Reed:

(Yes, I had a couple of polyester suits back then, too!)

Tim, this may interest you then.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=316262853

PS. How's the drive-in site going?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Chris Wootten
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 06:48 AM      Profile for Chris Wootten   Email Chris Wootten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the classics.....???

Like Ghengis Khan, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Zhivago etc.......to mention only a few..

------------------
"I luv the smell of napalm in tha mornin !" :D

Keep Smiling......Chris

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-30-2000 10:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still think all trainees should have to run Sound of Music in 70mm on reels so they learn about timing the famous changeover from reel one-two in the middle of a song

Sara Serine Orton
Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 02:09 PM      Profile for Sara Serine Orton   Email Sara Serine Orton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peter Sellers.... ummmm....! I've always wondered if anyone else in the world has either A. Seen What's New Pussycat and B. Thinks it's one of the funniest movies ever?

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 03:22 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ben Hur", in 70mm.
"2001", in 70mm.
"Spartacus", in 70mm.
"West Side Story", in 70mm.

You'll get the idea.

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 03:29 PM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always end up recommending two 80's films that I love but nobody else seems to: "Tin Men" and "Milagro". And oh yes, "Amadeus", if I have to pick a third title from that decade.

Among older titles, "Citizen Kane", always "Citizen Kane". It's gotta be one of the most amazing films ever made.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-30-2000 08:39 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I completely forgot about Aliens! That movie is to me what Raiders is to John Wilson. And I was thinking about FX (87) with Bryan Brown and Brian Dennehy earlier today. I'd definitely recommend that one as well.

"Get away from her you BITCH!"

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: