Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Projection Equipment Technician

Author Topic: Projection Equipment Technician
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 10:04 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone.

I have a great desire to further my involvement of projectioning by pursuing a more technical involvement.

I will be taking an Electrical Engineering Technician course at Georgian College in Barrie, Ontario come the fall semister.

Are there any apprenticeships available for this type of work related to projectioning or any courses related to this field?

Thanks

Richard Quesnelle

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-19-2000 09:33 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Ontario the best thing is to contact your dealer and see if they need a shop helper and work your way up from there

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-19-2000 02:57 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're taking electronics, that's the best choice you can make. Learn all you can.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-20-2000 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Richard,
What ever you do don't go to work for a really large chain right off the bat. If you do this you'll probably grow more of a dislike for the industry. Try to work for a local dealer that services independents and learn the ropes slowly. Also buy as many commonly used projectors as you can and learn about them on your own at home. Also set up your own home screening room if you can and learn by doing. If you are very mechanically inclined and good at electronics you should have no problem learning. Also as Tim said definately do the electronics school thing as well. This will never hurt, although they are not apt to teach you anything about real world troubleshooting, and more about math and theory, but this is also a very good thing. Expect this whole learning curve to take at least 10 to 12 years to become a very profecient tech.
Good Luck and keep on trudging along!!
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: