Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » If love Dies, If hope Dies...Mel Gibson Must die... (aka, who cuts these trailers???) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: If love Dies, If hope Dies...Mel Gibson Must die... (aka, who cuts these trailers???)
Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 09:44 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love these new 2:30 trailers that give away the whole movie...

the worst:
Gone in 60 seconds (should have made it 60 seconds)
U-571- (I've seen this pice of shit trailer so many times I actually DON'T want to watch the movie)
Frequency (I screened it for the sneak- the movie is actually a 2 hour version of the trailer)

and the absolute worst!

The Patriot!!
F@#$cking 2:50 tells the whole F!@#CKING story, and halfway through uses the music from the ROMEO MUST DIE trailer... WHAT ARE THESE MONGOLOIDS THINKING!!!????

garrarararrrr...

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-18-2000 10:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's trailer cutter is the worst of all. I think most people will agree with me here on that one. Although I will give you the Frequency trailer was nothing but one 2 minute spoiler! I'm glad I only saw the U-571 trailer once without sound through the port window. I might enjoy it!

I'm getting so, so, so tired of the little comedic stinger at the end of ALL trailers nowadays. You know where someone will cut together an interesting looking trailer, flash the title, credits and then WHAM they hit you with some stupid little "supposed to be funny" clip that just elicits groans from the audience. In horror movies, this is of course that one last 2 second shot of the killer attacking some girl as she screams. How lame. I feel like cutting those last shots out.

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2000 03:19 PM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A month or so ago my wife and I went to see something at the local popular multiplex (AMC). Someone made the mistake of splicing two "Gone In 60 Seconds" trailers back to back. The agony of seeing that trailer a second time with the tires squealing and Angelina Jolie asking that stupid question about which is better, stealing cars or sex. Obviously she never had to watch that trailer twice in a row.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-21-2000 12:51 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers are made by advertising people. They are used to showing the BEST parts of "whatever" they're advertising...be it movies, cars or whatever.

The fault lies with the promotion departments of the studios who approve these things.

I agree with Brad, Disney is the worst. They also started the nonsense of putting the release dates in the middle of the trailer ("This June 9th, experience the adventure...") as if the entire audience in the whole world is going to see the movie in one day.

------------------
Mike Blakesley
www.goforsyth.com/roxy

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-21-2000 01:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is always cute when a trailer is showing in a second run house and contains a opening date that is long past

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2000 09:50 PM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And it really sucks for those of us that have to run trailer loops on tape in the lobby, and a new tape only comes every two months. Unfortunately, Gone In Sixty Seconds and the five minute Dinosaur snorefest(the one that was on Toy Story 2)are on the latest tape..at least three times each.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2000 10:49 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, at least you don't have to listen to the F!@#$ING "Regal Television Network"

eventually it becomes like Niagra Falls, you live there for a while and then you just don't hear it.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-16-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike B: You nailed that one 100%.

Two great trailers of recent years are Road Trip and The Fast and the Furious

Road Trip? That trailer has a segment of my all-time favorite hit record -- "I Think I Love You".

The Fast and the Furious? See my review of the movie. Brad will agree, won't he?

Mitchell C: I've come across a situation similar to yours. Once I saw the trailer for Big Momma's House twice in a row I think it was before Love & Basketball.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-16-2001 08:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm getting so, so, so tired of the little comedic stinger at the end of ALL trailers nowadays.

Are you kidding? Comedic stingers enhance the trailer tenfold and at least TRIPLE the business of ANY movie! Actually, it seems that ALL trailers have some sort of stinger at the end, even when it's not supposed to be comedic.

Bow your head!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-16-2001 10:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>It is always cute when a trailer is showing in a second run house and contains a opening date that is long past<<

When i worked in second run and dollar houses in the mid-80s I would end up editing the hell out of trailers that had embedded release dates in them because it is just so freaking LAME to be advertising films that have visual and audio announcements stating "This Christmas" or "Coming Thanksgiving"...in MARCH

As a matter of fact i avoided running any trailers at all in the dollar house because I didnt think it was right to be: a) advertising films that we might or might not ever play, and if we did it would be several months down the road and b) almost always had the release dates embedded in them somewhere (before i would get into the editing part). and c) giving the competition free advertising. In one of the dollar houses I was FORCED to play the attached trailer (if the film still had one by then) with any film with the sole exception of if the trailer was for a film we had already played.

Lets have trailers without all the release dates, give subrun a break... hell, I am surprised that trailers arent adding the projected video release dates into their trailers in first run! Even Fox had released some 'Cast Away' trailers advertising its VIDEO release date back in May!

rant off
Aaron

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-17-2001 02:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron: I'm another one of those "editors." I refuse to have release dates on my trailers unless I know we're opening the film on the break (which only happens a few times a year).

The release date problem would be solved if they'd just put the release date at the very end of the trailer, in silence. Would have more impact that way, too, IMHO. Then subruns could just cut that part off.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2001 05:48 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an act of tragic irony, we took the Sprite "Death Slug" trailer with the movie execs talking about how to exploit the cheesy movie that didn't have a script yet, and spliced it onto Wild Wild West.
I don't remember anyone that didn't find that funny.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 08-20-2001 08:08 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then there are those trailers that are made BEFORE the studio decides to change the release date. My favorite of those was My Dog Skip which said something like coming this January when the film didn't come out until March and the trailers shipped to theatres in February. The little art films companies that put dates or in some cases seasons (with particularily slow releases) in their trailers based on NY/LA openings also irritate.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2001 01:16 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that "My Dog Skip" trailer- the first ones had the guy say in the middle "This January..." and said onscreen "Coming in January" or something like that at the end. When they moved the release date, the text at the end was changed to "Coming this March" but the soundtrack still said "This January". I pulled the trailer right when I noticed that, it ended up in my small 'oddities' trailer section (along with the two "Astronaut's Wife" trailers which are exactly the same except Charize Theron's name is pronounced differently- still not sure which one is right.)

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-16-2001 01:43 PM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you running the trailer for The Shipping News? There's a voice-over tag that starts "This Christmas . . ." The Shipping News opens in NYC/LA on Xmas Day as "Oscar Bait". Goes into wide release on 1/11. The studio involved? Miramax!

Ky, Jesse: That trailer for My Dog Skip was originally cut when WB planned a limited release. The March date got embedded after WB decided on a wide release after all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: