Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Summer movies 2000 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Summer movies 2000
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-17-2000 11:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
So what does everyone think of this summer's lineup of movies? Personally, I've seen all of these movies already and they're all pretty much lame. For that matter, everyone else on this site has seen them as well...because it's the same damn movies being made over and over every year!

A few comments:
Dinosaur...looked great until the dinos opened their mouths and started talking like babies! I wonder if I cut the Disney logo off and spliced in a Fox Animation logo at the start of the movie if it would fail in my theater? I'm tellin' ya, I think it's that logo!!!

Gone in 60 seconds...repeat of every Bruckheimer flick ever made. I will be able to predict exactly what will happen next a good 15 minutes ahead of whatever point in the movie I am. The ending will of course be predictable within 10 minutes of the opening titles.

Mission Impossible 2...John Woo is directing. Hmmmm. Perhaps his over the top style of action directing might make this one fun. Then again, he just might add another one of those stupid little continuing trademarks like in Face/Off when the family keeps brushing their hands over each other's faces. LAME!

Frequency...I saw the sneak last week and it's not that great. The first 45 minutes is the trailer in long form. The second hour is pretty good, but they kill it in the end (of course).

Flintstones 2...This just looks bad.

Pokemon 2...Will make money sad as that is, even without a single attempt all summer to focus the lens. (Must stay away from that one.)

Nutty professor 2...Ok so the first one was silly, but ya gotta admit, the family scenes were pretty damn funny. Since the family is featured in this one, I expect it to be one of the top 10 this summer.

They're making another Godzilla movie! Yuk!

Personally, I think this is the worst looking summer yet. The only film I'm looking forward to is Chicken Run!!!

What about everyone else?

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 12:19 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shanghai Noon looks hilarious IMHO.

AND YOU FORGOT X-MEN!! THIS ONE LOOKS AWESOME!!

Me, Myself, and Irene looks pretty good too. Gotta love a Carey flick.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 04:50 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
X-Men is definitely a must see for me! Chicken Run will be good. I'm actually curious to see Titan A.E. When it was known as Ice Planet, and I found out Ben Edlund (creator of The Tick cartoon series) was writing the script, I couldn't wait for it to come out. But the fact that Goldman and Bluth are involved makes me a little nervous. Gladiator looks good. The Klumps I'll wanna see for the family scenes. Gone in Sixty Seconds sounds like the kind of thing that I'll do if I watch Bruckheimer's newest clone. Not too sure about Mission Impossible though. I'll watch Hollow Man if there's absolutely nothing for me to do, and you'll have to drag my rottening corpse to a viewing of The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas. Overall, a pretty bleak looking summer.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 08:09 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i want to see Gladiator. yeah, it's not really summer, but i think it'll be a good show. Russell Crowe pretty much kicks ass. after that...i have no idea.

Juan Mendez
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 09:56 AM      Profile for Juan Mendez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think the summer movie season looks that bleak. Gladiator, X-Men, The Klumps, and Gone in Sixty Seconds (just because of who is in it), and Mission Impossible 2 will be hits. Other movies I am looking forward to are Scary Movie (those Wayans are hilarious), Battlefield Earth (the book was great, lets hope they can make the transition), and Titan AE. As for the new Godzilla movie coming out, I hope my theater doesn't make the same mistake we did two years ago. We ordered 6 prints of Godzilla, within three weeks we were down to one, and in our smallest house (capacity: 96), and it was empty half the time.

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 01:01 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious about The Patriot - though I'm making damn sure I don't get my hopes up that it's another Braveheart or anything

Gladiator could be good; I will definitely see Chicken Run (big Nick Park fan!); Hollow Man might be fun for the special effects; Ken Branagh's latest Shakespeare adaptation, Love's Labours Lost, is slated to open in June - I'm there!; Me, Myself and Irene could be funny, but I'll only see it with a sold out crowd, I mean how pathetic is it to screen a comedy by yourself?

Oh, has anybody heard anything about this Val Kilmer "Mission to Mars" knockoff called Red Planet? It's supposed to open in June, but I've seen no promos for it.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 05:49 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Planet actually went into production before Mission, so Mission is the knockoff.

Red Planet is directed by James Cameron and the latest I heard is that it got pushed back to Christmas.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-18-2000 06:04 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll just be glad to have something to play that:

1. Will draw some crowds

2. Isn't rated R

I'm looking forward to Titan A.E. just for the animation. The story will probably be incomprehensible. I hated Nutty Professor...I hate movies that are marketed at kids, but have so much bathroom humor in them (I realize this covers many Disney flicks), so I'm not looking forward to The Klumps.

Dinosaur will be a hit. I think Brad is right about "that logo."

M:I2 will probably open well depending on the campaign. The teaser trailer wasn't that impressive IMO.

I'm looking forward to Me Myself & Irene. I'm not the biggest Carrey fan, but loved The Truman Show and Liar Liar (one of my all time favorite lines: "I'm KICKIN' MY ASS, do you MIND?") so this looks right down that alley.

I agree with everybody -- Viva Rock Vegas looks like a waste of film. They've re-used some of the TV show's sound efx, but other than that it looks awful.

I've been around for enough summers as a theatre owner that I know the drill: Majority of the movies are all hype, no substance; critics and "real" movie fans hate most of them; the public causes several $100 million-plus hits; repeat yearly.

William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 06:27 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was alluded at but it seems you are ignoring the fact that the summer movies are made for one reason $$$$$$$$$$$$. Of course most will be a waste of film but I enjoy starting a presentation for a full house much more than I do an empty house. (I wish the quality movies had full houses but that doesn't happen here.) Bad movies also mean my other projectionists will spend more time doing their job and less time staring at the screen with the booth moniter cranked (hopefully).

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 06:50 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Planet is not the James Cameron Mars movie. That one is being directed by Anthony Hoffman. Cameron's Mars movie probably won't be out for a long while, but you can rest assured, it will be the best Mars movie of the three. As for the Godzilla movie coming out, I don't think anyone should expect the kind of success that Emmerich's film generated at the box office. In fact, this one is being produced in Japan, so who knows what to expect in terms of special effects. I forgot about Zemeckis' new project What Lies Beneath with Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer. It's supposed to be released 7/21. If it's Zemeckis, I'm there.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-18-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on wether or not Battlefield Earth will get a PG-13 rating will tell if it will be the blockbuster of the year. John Travolta is the key villain in this picture and if he is anything like he was in Broken Arrow, I am definately there.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 08:06 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Samuel L. Jackson will be starring in "Shaft" this summer. It looks pretty amuzing.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 08:46 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got back from the NATO California/Nevada manager's meeting. This was a meeting where the Distributors show the managers product reels so they can get an idea of what is coming up this summer. I don't want to post my idividual thought on what I saw at the meeting, that might piss the disributors off. I just thought I would tell you about the meeting.

About 100 of us met at 9:00 AM at a Century 25-Plex outside of Oakland. They had orange juice and doughnuts. Most attendess were theatre managers in manager drag, ie coats and ties. We were underdressed in jeans and t-shirts, but secure in the knowlage that we are owners.

We were ushered into auditorium 15 and the show began. There were 12 studios doing presentations. We were in a state of the art cinema. There was not one scrap of film. Every studio's "product reel" was on video. One person brought Beta SP. The rest brought their "reel" on VHS! The video projector was a Sharp 3000U1, projected on the large screen as to present a 10' X 10' image. Most of the tapes were letter-boxed. There were two sound systems, (not the theatres) one was for the mic and was good. The other one was for the tape decks and had a horrid 60 HZ hum in the system. The video tech didn't have a switcher and hopped up each time to press play.

This ranks as one of the worst presentations I have ever seen. It would have been cheaper and easyer if the studios had just sent the trailers to the theatre and let them build them up. It would have looked and sounded ten times better as well.

We were told that this was the material that was presented at ShoWest. I hope it was presented better there.

Fox came out as the promotion king. They have many programs for promotion and peaked the interest of the managers the most.

At one point when the tape was messing up, I shouted "Long live film!" That got a smattering of applause, but not enough to lift my heart.

Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 10:11 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to see both MI-2 and X-men. I'm a bit of an action freak. Things like Gone In Sixty-Seconds, which is probably a "been there, done that" style movie, I will no doubt like it. Gladiator looks awfully good as does Me, Myself, and Irene.

Million Dollar Hotel and the new Coen Bros. movie are also tops on my list to see this summer. So far it looks pretty good.

Richard Quesnelle

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2000 10:15 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like every year there is the "it" movie. Titanic,Armageddon,Men in Black,S.W. Ep. 1,etc. This year I don't really see a clear winner.

Gotta agree about that "logo"...Disney=Bucks!

Just IMHO,
Chris

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: