Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Platter Motors

Author Topic: Platter Motors
Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 05:04 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I have a question for you guys. We have a pile of bad platter motors(for older strong platters) sitting in the booth. Does anyone know how to rebuild/fix them? They still do work but they had to be replaced because they couldn't keep up and caused wraps. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 04-16-2000 05:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most motor shops will turn down the comutators and rebuild the bearings ad replace the brushes for you
Usually it is the shaft getting worn down that causes the biggest problems

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 09:19 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a Grainger # 2M262 motor to replace the bad motor.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 09:56 AM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

Before spending any money you may want to pull the cover off and check the motor brushes. If the person who pulled the motors didn't check the brushes, it could be a simple fix for some of the motors.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, Tom, Check the motor brushes first. Especially if these are motors are on either the top or center decks. Typically brushes go faster on these decks than on the lower. Also follow the run in instructions that come with the new brushes so they seat properly. If you don't your timming will creep all over the place til they do seat.
MArk @ GTS

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 03:02 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know the grainger number for the Potts platter motor.Platter drive motor on a alpha platter I have one that needs replacing and the price I was quoted was 560 for a replacement which is the whole assembly and I only need the motor

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-18-2002 04:01 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$560 for what? 14 karet gold plated model
Richard Fowler
TVP-Theatre & Video Products Inc. www.tvpmiami.com

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-18-2002 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That motor is nothing more than a vacuum sweeper motor. The part number Ken gave you is the Grainger replacement. It is easy to pull the old motor out of the can. The only glitch is you have to remove the drive spindle. Jam the impeller with a screw driver so you can remove the spindle. Some shafts have a hex slot in them for a allen wrench. Use a tool that can be used to unscrew the drive spindle so you won't booger it up.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2002 11:28 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have complete step-by-step photos on rebuilding Strong/Potts platter motors using the Grainger 2M262 motor (which is what Strong/Potts uses anyway). I've already rebuilt several motors and the Grainger 2M262 only costs around $70.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 10:47 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken: although I do not currently work with Strong/Potts plattters, I have worked with them before, and I'm sure I will work with them again in the future. I would be very interesed in seeing those pics. Perhaps you could send them to Brad to post in the Tips section?

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 11:08 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken
That would be great if you would post the pictures. I know I for one would find it very helpful.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2002 11:09 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah ken!
we mostly use strong platters (for better or worse) so your pics of this motor rebuild would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 12:34 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike Fitzgerald and Michael West:

I have emailed you the pix and instructions.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 01:16 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks

------------------
Fitz

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2002 10:15 PM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ken
just updated my new email address - so could you send it again, much thanks!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: