Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » best chain to work for?

Author Topic: best chain to work for?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-14-2000 05:43 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the recent discussions about AMC et al, I'm interested in seeing the opinions of those who work or have worked for the major chains about which ones are especially good or bad as employers.

I don't expect anyone to come out and say that he hates his employer, so I'm mostly interested in seeing responses from people who are happy with the way that they are treated as employees and who belive that their employers have some sort of commitment to presentation quality.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 05:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
General Cinema gets my vote for best "overall" company. (None are without faults.)

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 06:27 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you have to remember is the chains like Carmike and AMC do have some good managers and therefore some halfway decent theaters, albeit not many.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 06:41 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worked for two chains, Landmark Theatres and United Artists Theatre Circut.

Landmark 1985-1990

The Good

I worked with wonderful people who were great conversationalists. They were the most intellegent coworkers I ever had. I saw great films. Popcorn was served with real butter. Got to convert my theatre to 70mm and run Lawrence of Arabia. I learned more at this job than at any other.

The Bad

Landmark never had great equipment. Everthing was patched together. I was paid very little. I felt limited in my options for advacement. In the end, I had a realy nasty boss.

UA 1991-1997

The Good

UA put together some realy nice theatres with all the toys. They let me be involved in the set up. I got to interact with all the Vice Presidents. I was deaply involved in the rollout of Dolby digital, DTS and Sony SDDS. I got to design my own uniform.

The Bad

At the district level, the managers were clueless as to the way to run a theatre. They didn't fully appriciate the projectionist. We were underpaid. Raises were few and far between. When they did come they were strictly limited. I outlasted the nasty boss. They eventualy made us wear the staff uniform. I was gone one month later. Joe quit one month after me. Erika! quit one more month after that.

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 09:37 PM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked at General Cinemas, AMCs, and a small movie grill company. I'm gonna have to go with General Cinema as the best theatre chain to work for. Just about every AMC manager I've ever worked with was really cool and very competent. But the problem lies in the corporate people. The decision makers that are more concerned about quantity (number of screens) vs. quality (picture presentation). They've also put restrictions on manager qualifications before (i.e. at least a bachelor's degree. Business degree preferred) and because of that, were hurting for managers and forced to hire or promote out of desperation when they should have been looking for people that have had experience and know how to run a theatre operation as opposed to a person that has a piece of paper saying he or she knows how to run a business. Maybe things have changed with the advent of their megaplexes, but I can still see their presentations need a little work.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2000 12:49 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
General Cinemas...for now. Things may be going down hill in a few months. Eh.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2000 06:53 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The rumor is GCC is having serious financial troubles. Not as serious as UA though.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 09:19 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seemed to notice that the smaller regional chains are best to work for. I work for Chakeres Theaters and have had no real complaints.

--Chris

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 04-17-2000 08:24 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto, Chris! I liked working for Chakeres, too. Good people, especially the late Frazee brothers.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Charles Lubner
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2000 08:33 PM      Profile for Charles Lubner   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Lubner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy working for Marcus Theatres. All of their new complexes feature digital sound and stadium seating. They have also been very good about upgrading older theatres with these amenities instead of closing them down as many chains would do. Marcus also still uses the union in Milwaukee and Madison to supply operators, and they contract out new installations and digital retrofits to them. I'm an assistant manager and projectionist for them and I've found them willing to purchase the necessary equipment to keep a booth in good working order. Floor staff wear classy tuxedos and we still install curtains in every auditorium. I enjoy working for them.

James Dunn
Film Handler

- posted 04-19-2000 11:20 PM      Profile for James Dunn   Email James Dunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerasotes Theatres rule!

(yeah, it's short and sweet, but it gets the point across. lol)

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-21-2000 02:13 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently started work at GCC Bridgewater in Jersey. And I have to say that I'm very impressed with the company. I do the film build ups on Thursday and when I come in everything is organized; trailer lists (what comes on and off) What trailers come with the film. Everything is thought out. The quality of the presentation is very good. The machines are in top shape and have some of the brightest pictures I've ever seen in any theatre. The pay is pretty good for a 7-plex And the theatre is ten years old and it's really kept well.

Marie Leger
Film Handler

- posted 04-22-2000 02:08 AM      Profile for Marie Leger   Author's Homepage   Email Marie Leger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go Carmike, Go Carmike , Go!

Actually, we have the cheapest projectors I've ever seen and our splicers don't cut straight. But, we wear better uniforms than UA.

UA was a better chain to work for, but no where near perfect. They still left us a little behind in the way of supplies. We had dusty christies, but they were christies. Now I work with Billy-Bob's rubber band projectors. Oh well.

Carmike, since they give us little financial support, give us a bit of freedom to compensate, (where as UA was pretty tight with the employee handbook.)

Overall: UA treats their film better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: