Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kit Parker Films Looses All 70mm Prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kit Parker Films Looses All 70mm Prints
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-14-2000 03:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just talked to a booker at Kit Parker and he informed me that Warner Brothers had just taken back all their 70mm prints. Kit Parker now has none. He didn't know why, or if they were now available from another source. Does any one know if these are now available from another source?
Mark

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 03:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That was a smart move on Warner's end. However, I would like to know where to get them from now as well.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 04-14-2000 04:12 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its probably the same thing that is happening with the classic Warner Bros. cartoons. They are no longer being handled by Kit Parker and all the prints, etc. are being transfered to Warner Bros. Classics division.

Here at Rialto Lakeside in Santa Rosa we played a beautiful print of North By Northwest that is handled by Warner Classics. I have heard from my bookers that Warners is packaging a lot of its classic product into mini-festivals and has produced a very nice brochure detailing the films and packages (I haven't seen the brochure yet but my booker described it as quite nice). Ultimately, having the prints out of Kit Parker's hands is probably a good thing.

FYI, Sony also has a "classics" division which is not Sony Pictures Classics - which is the arthouse division. The classics are handled by Sony Repertory. This week we are playing 6 Columbia Classics - "Gilda" "His Girl Friday" "It Happened One Night" "The Awful Truth" "Pal Joey" and "From Here To Eternity". So far the first four prints are in and all are in excellent shape. We were a little scared when the first print of His Girl Friday showed up - it was bad, very splicy - but a call to Technicolor (of all people) resulted in a gorgeous brand new print of His Girl Friday.

But I guess I've strayed off the 70mm topic, so enough rambling about classic films.

By the way, Warner Classics can be reached at 818-379-1814.

All for now...Ky

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-14-2000 04:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Ky! I'll give them a call on Monday. We have been asked by the County Park District to run a small festival at our minor league ballpark here in Salt Lake City. Its a really nice place, and quite a number of other things go on there every year. A big title in 70mm would create a big draw so thats what led me to call them. Am just feeling out what titles are available for them to rent. They used to have around 30 titles a number of years back.
Mark

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-14-2000 04:32 PM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark, would love to help you with that mini festival if you need any. Haven't seen any 70MM prints in a LONG time, not since T2.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 04:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, Paramount is EXCELLENT at working with you on repertory 70mm prints. Give Dominique a call at (972) 387-4400.

For some reason, most studios won't simply give you a list of what's available in 70mm. Instead you have to keep "do you have this title", "do you have that title", "how about this one", no then "how about that one"? A list would be so much simpler and Paramount will do that for you as well as make sure you have a good print.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 05:02 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every print I ever got from Kit Parker was total crap and many times un-playable (especially 16mm prints).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-14-2000 06:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad, I will call her Monday. Actually we're wanting to get Raiders for Friday night, and another we have not decided on for Saturday night. But Perhaps Vertigo.
Thanks again!!
Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 06:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a "he"...and the only existing 70mm print of Raiders for rental is chewed to all hell, faded and the mag track has severe damage. Don't book that one.

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 04-14-2000 06:26 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI, Vertigo is a Universal title. By the way, the transition of the cartoons from Kit Parker back to Warners made most them unavailable for a period of time. I suspect Warners wants to inventory and assess what they are getting, plus there must be some due diligence work involved in such a transaction.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-14-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a semi-related subject....

The Senator Theatre in Baltimore will be presenting not only three recently restored 70mm film, but the restorer himself, Bob Harris.

They will be showing Lawrence, Spartacus and My Fair Lady

It will be the last weekend in April.

Check http://www.senator.com for details as they become available.

Steve

------------------
"Old projectionists never die, they just changeover!"

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-15-2000 03:37 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Miller:
It's a "he"...and the only existing 70mm print of Raiders for rental is chewed to all hell, faded and the mag track has severe damage. Don't book that one.

Just wait on Raiders until next year when it comes out in 70mm dts with gorgeous color and stunning new prints for its 20th anniversary.

...I can dream, can't I?

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-15-2000 06:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If Lucas cared about quality, he would ONLY allow 70mm DTS prints to be made and issued only to those theaters who could properly present them. That's what I would call a spectacular reissue.

"If" anything is done at all, I'm sure it'll just be 35mm prints with digital tracks.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 09:32 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel so left out. I still haven't seen a 70mm film. I don't there is a theater close that is setup for 35/70.

--Chris

Ari Nordström
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2000 02:23 AM      Profile for Ari Nordström   Email Ari Nordström   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beg to differ about your opinion re 70mm and DTS, Brad. Mag strip 70mm can be quite extraordinary when handled right.

But then, Lucas isn't going to care about 70mm one way or the other. He's in for the money. Let's hope Spielberg can talk some sense into him.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: