Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Breakthroughs in Quality Assurance (aka technicolor puts the ASS in ASSurance) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Breakthroughs in Quality Assurance (aka technicolor puts the ASS in ASSurance)
Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 12:00 AM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got 2 prints of American Psycho.

Print #1, reel 5 starts out normally then about 20 feet into the reel it starts printing the countdown to reel 2 "American Psycho- H-2" and reel 2 is printed....

Print #2, Reel 3 dubbed entirely in French!

What the fuck is going on over there at Technicolor????!!!

Tyler

------------------
"not even a hummingbird could see tyler at work"

|  IP: Logged

Alan Brandt
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 01:43 AM      Profile for Alan Brandt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did he just type "fuck"??

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-14-2000 04:17 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he did!!!!

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-14-2000 04:45 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And what did Technicolor have to say about this when you called them? Surely you told them that the print is not runable.

Juan Mendez
Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 11:11 AM      Profile for Juan Mendez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Technicolor run-in came when I got a print of American Beauty (the reissued print). To my surprise it was a new print, (although, after the hell I went through it might as well have been used. When I opened the cans, I had the first three reels of American Beauty, I opened the second can and I had the first three reels of American Beauty, and when I opened the third can, it was a couple of reels for another movie. So I pulled of the heads, and sure enough I had 2 reel#1's, 2 reel#2's, 2 reel#3's, and a bunch of other crap. When I called Technicolor, they apologized (for the umpteenth time) and said they would send another one by the next day.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 11:37 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's this week's exciting adventure in the land of Technicolor prints.

Today's episode: "Crappy reels from Technicolor part XXVIX"

This is Technicolor's new reel design. Anyone who has used these has found they are already starting to fall apart after only a couple of uses, but wait...look closer!

Yes, check out the spindle hole...there is no slot for the key!

There's nothing better than not being able to mount the reel onto a spindle for makeup! Yet another time where the good old fashioned split reel saved the day.

I wonder if this is in the original design details of their patent?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 11:48 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DOUBLE FEATURE

Today's second episode: "Film shipping canisters, what to look for"

Remember when Technicolor first opened and boasted "no more beat up shipping cans, blah, blah, blah"? Well kiddos, we all know where THAT went. But seriously folks, what are a few basic requirements of a film can? Hmmmm, perhaps it shouldn't be dished inward and be able to hold the reels. Let's take it one more and say, let's say it should be able to close. No wait, let's go even one further and say that it should be able to "latch" closed. Well what else could anyone want in a shipping canister???

Yes, that's it...A HANDLE!!!
That all-too-much taken for granted carrying handle. Oh, those poor Airborne drivers. But wait, let's take a closer look.

Upon closer inspection, it is obvious that this print's handle didn't just "fall off" during delivery...yet it was sent out anyway! (Oh well, it's only a tiny little film studio's product anyway right? It's not like it was a Buena Vista print with the fear of having a big influential company like BV get angry and switch over to the competition. Perhaps that's why the reels inside were all broken as well.)

Well kiddos, that wraps it up for this week. Stay tuned every week for the continuing saga!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-14-2000 01:58 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually had a Technicolor can that fell apart upon opening. Both the side panels on the bottom half of the can were so dented in that they came off when you unlocked the can.

Sometimes I think I prefer those PRE-WWII film cans you get from ETS. Yes, they weigh 9,000,000 metric tons EACH and they are often rusty as hell but I haven't yet had one with more than a minor dent. Usually I put the reels in a plastic bag when I break the print down. Dirt isn't so much of a problem then.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 06:17 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Brad, we've never gotten cans that bad. But somehow it doesn't surprise me.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 06:29 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen worse cans, I love when you get the ones with the molding cardboard inside and it flakes all over the print during shipping. That just classic. I've also had the latch open once when I was taking a can down the stairs and 3 reels of Stigmata rolled down the stairs....

Anyway, I gota hand it to Technicolor's reel replacement department because both new reels were at the front door at 9am this morning. Didn't miss any shows.

fucking screwheads! (I do kinda like their new reels however)

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2000 01:00 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite are the cans that you can open, but just can't get closed without a little help from a prybar. I just built two prints where the top was smashed in so far I just gave up trying to get it to close over the bottom.

I think when I send them back to Technicolor I will just duct tape it closed...maybe secure the duct tape with electrical tape to make sure.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2000 12:40 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I do think the Technicolor reels look nice, as far as that goes. By forcing them onto a spindle I was able to punch a slot into them. It's almost as if there was a certain piece of the spindle hole that was designed to be removed but they just forgot to at the factory.

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 09:25 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With no place for a key,crap fall apart reels, this just further proves they don't inspect!

--Chris

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 05:53 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Author's Homepage   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the cans to our Mission to Mars print has something written on it in black marker with a message something like, "You (Technicolor) a$$holes need to get new reels that don't f**king break all the time." Supposedly it was written on the can when we got it but something tells me one of our projectionists did it.

Tyler Skinner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 11:21 PM      Profile for Tyler Skinner   Email Tyler Skinner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats a great Idea, maybe if we all start writing that on the insides of our cans they will actually do something...

haha....right...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: