Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How to rise in the land of film handlers

Author Topic: How to rise in the land of film handlers
Richard Quesnelle
Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 10:45 PM      Profile for Richard Quesnelle   Email Richard Quesnelle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a variety of different stages of film handling some of the projectionist's have when they post a topic (i.e. master, expert, jedi-master).

How does a mere peasent film handler become a knight in the film handling world? (in the real world it takes years of pratice and dedication)

REG

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 11:12 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing more difficult than posting a lot. I don't know what the numbers are, but as you reach certain post count 'mile-marks' your status changes.

Dave Williams
Wet nipple scene

- posted 04-14-2000 04:19 AM      Profile for Dave Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Dave Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you just make a lot of senseless posts, you can attain the status of expert film handler, but then, who will listen to you? I mean if you just make a post and drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on..... where was I? Oh yeah, make sure you use film guard in your coffee.... gives it a nice kick.

------------------
"If it's not worth doing, I have allready been there and done it"

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-14-2000 04:25 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've noticed a lot of senseless posts, and many many posts that immediately follow one another by the same person. The first post will reply to one person. The next post will reply to another person on the same subject and only be posted one minute later.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 06:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's how it is done. 100 posts earns you the title of Expert. 250 brings about Master. 500 becomes a Jedi-Master and so on. It was a little hack I installed a long time ago which has interestingly enough become a standard feature on this program in new versions. Who knew some people would go crazy over a "title change"?

I'm thinking about modifying the code however to dock 10 posts from the person's count each time a completely useless post is made. Used to the way people would try and cheat to bump up their post count was to make a post and then reply to their own post with an add-on. Recently I've seen new methods. Do we really need a post that is nothing more than a smiley face? Responses that simply point out a certain word choice and have nothing to say are also really not needed. Oh, and there's nothing like DUPLICATE posts, word for word in different threads either. Geeesch!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-14-2000 06:37 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that a each and every post MUST contain relevant information. Stuff like "I agree/disagree" (and why) is good, etc... Anything that is useless could be considered something that really says nothing or has already been posted in that thread.

Actually, there is one person that seems to be cluttering the forums with posts that are nothing more than a smiley face, pointless posts and duplicate posts that, word for word, come from a different thread. He commits all of the "sins"! I'll spare his name though.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-14-2000 06:50 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw those duplicates, I thought somehow that the server (?) must have directed it to the wrong thread. I see now that this isn't the case.

Really, is it THAT important how many posts you've got? I agree with the negativing post no's to posts with no relevance or just a smilie though. This would keep each thread much more interesting. I guess that being said, the number of postings would then be valuable.

------------------
"It's not the years honey, it's the mileage".
Indiana Jones.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-14-2000 08:46 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's clear that in addition to posting messages, Brad needs to give rising film handlers a real-world test to evaluate their level of skill. Here are some sample questions:

1.) While working, have you ever finished your hamburger while it was still warm? (Y-N)
The correct answer is NO; Are they supposed to be heated?

2.) When you just want to sit down and watch a film for fun, do you want to get up to fix the focus, framing, etc. even though you are not working? (Y-N)
The correct answer is YES, because those dopes up there don't what they are doing!

3.) If someone is talking to you about a projector, but they keep calling it a "camera" do you:
A) Loose interest in talking to this looser. B) Say loudly; "PROJECTOR; IT'S CALLED A PROJECTOR!!" C) Roll your eyes, but say nothing. D) Hack them to death with a kitchen knife.
The correct answer is D... no, wait, I really meant C, yes, C, that's the one.... D and C rhyme, so I got confused.....

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 11:53 AM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Yes! Because I can stuff the whole hamburger in my mouth at once.

2) Yes! I have been known to walk, uninvited, into random booths to fix problems for myself.

3) E I never give the general public the correct terms for the projector anymore. The big camera, the tape, the machine that goes clackety clack!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 04-14-2000 01:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Walsh:

1.) While working, have you ever finished your hamburger while it was still warm? (Y-N)
The correct answer is NO; Are they supposed to be heated?

Yes, all the time. It is extremely rare for something to go wrong and I don't have changeovers to screw with.

quote:
2.) When you just want to sit down and watch a film for fun, do you want to get up to fix the focus, framing, etc. even though you are not working? (Y-N)
The correct answer is YES, because those dopes up there don't what they are doing!

Are you referring to my screening room or an actual theater?
Screening room...no problems, but I would get up to tweek something if need be.
Commercial theater...I do not go to these anymore during normal business hours. I've given up on the noisy customers and the incompetence in the booth.

quote:
3.) If someone is talking to you about a projector, but they keep calling it a "camera" do you:
A) Loose interest in talking to this looser. B) Say loudly; "PROJECTOR; IT'S CALLED A PROJECTOR!!" C) Roll your eyes, but say nothing. D) Hack them to death with a kitchen knife.
The correct answer is D... no, wait, I really meant C, yes, C, that's the one.... D and C rhyme, so I got confused.....

None of the above. I prefer the slower method of death via those little stainless steel hot dog tweezers from the concession stand! In a pinch however, I will use a Tensabarrier like a baseball bat.

Bryan Redemske
Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2000 10:16 AM      Profile for Bryan Redemske   Email Bryan Redemske   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm...clackety-clack.....i can usually get my food somewhat warm - it depends on who gets it. if it's the guy who is very meticulus about getting food, then it's correct and hot. if its the guy who take his sweet time, then no. i don't get it warm.

yeah, i do tend to want to go fix things when i'm watching a show. i do it at our own theatre, but i only WANT to do it at other ones.

final question: i call the big one 'bitey'.....

am i an expert yet?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-17-2000 11:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually on a funny note:
I was on a service call once and was doing an oil change on some Ballantynes. I handed the operator the cup full of old oil and low and behold the operator set down the super size Coke cup full of old oil on the rewind bench. We also each had a Coke sitting there as well. When it came time for a sip...or actually a guzzle, the operator picked the cup full of oil! I've never seen something come back out of a mouth so fast and with so much force....man oil all over the place plus some interesting language to boot. This guy was a real good operator though and had been in this booth for 12 years.
Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: