Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technicolor Screw-up of the Week! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Technicolor Screw-up of the Week!
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-13-2000 12:38 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a print of Erin Brockovich today which contained the DTS disk holder, and the disk boxes ....which were empty.

Well at least the film came a day ahead of schedule, so I was able to call and request a replacement set of disks that will actually (hopefully!) be here before we open on Friday.

Add your own Technicolor Screw-Ups to this thread....it's fun!

------------------
Mike Blakesley
www.goforsyth.com/roxy

|  IP: Logged

Dwayne Caldwell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2000 12:58 AM      Profile for Dwayne Caldwell   Email Dwayne Caldwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't remember if Galaxy Quest was a Techincolor print or not, but I got one in about two days before the release date. And it too had no DTS disks, but it was also a hand down from the AMC 24 Grand, and that,of course, made me nervous. I guess they screened a sneak preview or something, but anyway I called Techicolor to get replacement DTS disks. I built the print up on two 6,000s but hadn't loaded it onto the platter when Techicolor calls me at eleven at night telling me that not only have they sent DTS backup disks, but that the print I had of Galaxy Quest wasn't our print. Ours was to come in the next day and, get this, the print I had in my possession was to go back to the Grand! Madness. You're right, Mike. This is fun.

------------------
The man with the magic hands.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-13-2000 08:19 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats the main reason I prefer to sell SRD over DTS! The double system thingy will always continue to be a headache. Sure DTS may be a pinch better sounding than SRD, but then unless you have really really good sound systems to A-B with I doubt that you would hear a difference. Also I've had to repair almost every DTS unit we've sold at least once, and some twice. The ROM drive upgrade is also a bit too expensive IMHO. SRD is simply the most practical to have around.
Mark

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-13-2000 03:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's kind of a non issue. FWIW, we've had DTS here since 1994 and have only had to go without disks for a grand total of 4 shows. (That's four performances.) At the time, DTS was less than half the cost of Dolby, so for $6000 difference I think it's worth it.

I suppose people with many screens have more horror stories. "DTS-disk screwup of the week," anyone?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 04-13-2000 08:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humorous DTS screw-up story: When I worked at a single, we kept getting the DTS trailer disks every other week like clockwork. Usually via overnight mail or some similarly expensive means of transportation. The odd thing is that we didn't have DTS, couldn't afford DTS, and really only had a (just barely) working early-1980s Dolby system. Our manager got tired of having to sign for these shipments, so he started refusing the shipments and occasionally sent back notes to DTS to the effect of "stop sending these." It didn't work. The disks kept coming and eventually ended up in my basement...

Anyway, this place may well have been the only theatre in history that had problems with receiving _too_many_ DTS disks.

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 08:34 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get the trailer discs almost weekly. I always pull it out of the envelope, look at it, and try to figure out what the difference is between the last one I got-there may be one new trailer on the disk. It is nice to get the Pepsi ads that we have to run on the discs, and I do appreciate the fact that it's free-not much is these days. I've never understood why one sheets are so expensive through NSS-you would think that studios would want you to have them to advertise their films.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-14-2000 02:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard through our NCS guy that there are a few places that don't send the DTS discs back...

The story goes that he went down the "back stairs" to go outside and the hall was littered with broken and mangled discs! Appearently they were playing Frisbee with them! I told him that we send back almost all of ours. (Once in a blue moon they get lost, etc.) He was actually surprised to hear that.

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2000 04:35 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been to several theaters that have piles of DTS disks in the booth. I mention to the managers "Hey, you might want to send those back."
Their response: "They want those back?"

But then these are the same theaters that still have the Toy Story 2 disks in the drives.

Andrew D'Vrey
Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2000 01:14 AM      Profile for Andrew D'Vrey   Email Andrew D'Vrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do the same thing, Tom! I dont' know why...I just want to see how worthless it is for me to change the disk this week. Actually, we change trailer packs once a week, so the updates are nice. But I also check them so I can run as many trailers in Digital as possible.

I love getting these disks...I use the empty cases for my ReWriteable CDROMs. Mine come in plastic jewel cases...not envelopes.

As far as DTS disks not with a print, Technicolor should check those before resending them...but we know that's never going to happen. I've forgotten twice...and I remember them both well because I kicked myself in the head REALLY REALLY hard. We have moveable sound racks, so they get wheeled around a lot. So it's like musical chairs with the DTS units. Things tend to get confusing on Thursdays when we're shuffling prints, disks, and digitals around. That, and I've gotten a little loopy since they installed that Capuccino machine in concessions.

The thing that gets me is friggin Technicolor wouldn't pick them up!!! I called them and told them the situation. NO ONE could give me an answer as to what I should do with them. Finally I just threw them in another print and put a big sign on the can.

------------------
"And the monkey flips the switch."
- Major Don West, "Lost In Space"

Andrew D'Vrey
IATSE Local 219

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-16-2000 09:35 AM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Think of what will happen if Technicolor gets into digital distribution....corrupt files,virus ridden titles...so much to look forward to.

--Chris

Tom Ferreira
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2000 08:20 AM      Profile for Tom Ferreira   Email Tom Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I can honestly say that I've never NOT returned the DTS Disks with a print. What the hell good are they to me, when the next guy may actually use them. My DTS Trailers disks also come in jewel boxes, and I use the empties for the same purpose-CDR cases.
My Technicolor bitch this week was when I built up Gladiator. Eight reels-and EVERY LAST ONE of them was broken. The bands had no strings, just the stupid sticker. Do these people really not give a shit what condition the prints are in when they reach the theaters? Are directors, producers, etc. aware of the way their films are being handled before exhibition? I'll bet most of them would blow a gasket.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 05-06-2000 11:34 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just made up a sneak ("Center Stage") that was delivered by Technicolor. Every reel was falling apart. On one reel, molded in the plastic, is written; "PATENT PENDING." Next to it, written with a marker, was; "You can't patent poor quality.."

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-07-2000 05:44 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We really havent had any problems with
Technicolor. for some reason they never forget prints. whoever distributes for sony,on the other hand , needs to have their heads examined. we've had two prints Sony never came to pick up, even after we called them. I wish TC would have forgotten about our print of "Princess Mononoke," though.
It's a really good movie and I want a copy of it

Josh

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2000 06:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Technicolor distributes the Sony/Columbia/Tri-Star prints. Hence you ARE having problems.

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-07-2000 07:19 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no, I don't think so

The cans have labels on them that say
"reel easy", unless nobody bothered to scrape the old labels off

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: