Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rebuilding an RCA 1040 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Rebuilding an RCA 1040
Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2000 11:48 AM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to embark on an extensive maintenance project on ny 1040. I have a replacement rubber roller from Wolk (and boy was he proud of it!). The bearings seem fine. I'm going to soak them in oil.

Also I'm going to take the drum out, put the shaft in a drill press and sand and polish it till it looks like new.
I'd like to remove the sprokets, etc., but I'm a little timid for that. My question is:
Can I take th whole mess and stick it in a galvanized washtub and spray the heck out of it with mineral spirits?
Is there any part of the mechanism I need to protect?
I'm having a hard time figuring out how to dimantle the drum, etc. Does the inside section of the devise come out with those three large screws, making the guts a little easier to access?
Do any of you guys have any other tips that might help me out?

|  IP: Logged

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2000 04:24 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also in the process of working over a pair of RCA 1040s, strictly as a hobby. Mine have a half inch of crud in all the impossible to reach places and assorted rust spots on the outside.

In answer to your "can I spray the heck out of it" question, be careful. You don't want to get any cleaner or other liquid in the slit-lens optics. I'd be worried about just spraying the motor. Also, be careful of the rubber mounts that the sound optics and drum are supported by. They are oil resistant but I'm not sure about solvents. I'm doing it the hard way, complete disassembly, then clean it.

If you have worked on the rubber pressure roller you have already moved the slit lens to get roller assembly out. To remove the drum you'll have to remove the prism or photocell mount, if it was converted. Once the area around the drum is clear, remove the nut on the damping flywheel, remove the flywheel and the shaft will simply pull out. There is a steel tube in between the ball bearings of the drum shaft that may fall out of position. It can be coaxed back from the backside if necessary. Or simply remove the rear ball bearing then re-assemble it. Be sure to make some notes as to what went where as you disassemble things! The manual is available on this site.

So far, I have one of these monsters completely apart. I have found a few things that were obviously caused by someone not installing parts correctly in the past. I never would have found them if I hadn't taken it apart.

I'd be interested to know how much Wolk gets for the roller. Also, Brad has a "fix" so the roller isn't needed and no longer touches the image area on the film. I used a larger diameter rubber tube than he suggests (not all of us have spare Kelmar parts in our tool box), but it works fine.

This is a good time to ask if anyone has a spare drive gear to mate the 1040 to a simplex E7 head. I have the E7 parts but need the steel gear with the take-up pulley. Can anyone help?

I'm sure there are a couple guys here that rebuild these things. Anything else we should know?

Richard B. Perrine
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2000 05:43 PM      Profile for Richard B. Perrine   Email Richard B. Perrine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I may have the metal main drive gear you need. It's for the E-7 head ....the one with the belt pully milled into it?
E-mail me .....RBPerrine@aol.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 04-11-2000 06:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its best to do a complete disassembley on the thing to go through it and do a proper clean up. Thats also good time to check out the bronze gear, pinion, and bearings for wear. New gaskets are available from Wolk for re-assembley. If they seem shrunk when you get then soak themn in water and let them sit to dry overnight. They should fit fine then. Also install a new oil gauge if the old one shows signs of leaking. These can be made fairly oil tight if you do all this, but keep in mind that there will always be some seapage in the thing.
Mark

Bill Purdy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2000 10:02 AM      Profile for Bill Purdy   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Purdy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would strongly recommend that you replace the bearings for the sound drum. They are very commonly available motor bearings and are easy to find at bearing suppliers for two or three dollars apiece. When you start taking the shaft out, you may be able to pull it out, but there is a good chance that the old oil has glued it in place. Please, please get yourself a six to eight inch piece of hardwood dowel to use in driving that shaft out. It is also a good idea to have someone to catch it when it suddenly comes loose and wants to fly across the room.

Taking the lateral guide assembly apart on an RCA is quite a trick. There is a small retaining ring buried inside that you need to know about.

Also, when you polish the drum surface I would suggest that you use one of the rubberized abrasive pads that are around. Use a fine textured one so that you don't create surface that will scratch film.

I ran one of these under an E7 for years with good results even though the motor ran too hot to touch. Sorry, I don't have the gear you want.

One of my favorite methods for cleaning this sort of stuff is good old "Tide". Get the parts wet, sprinkle on the "Tide", wait 15 or 20 minutes, go over the nooks and crannies with a brush, and hose off. Put in a warm place so that they will dry quickly.

Have fun!

------------------
Bill Purdy
Comonent Engineering

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2000 11:39 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been a very interesting project so far. I've completely rebuilt the RCA sound head. It was dis-assembled and repainted, but only required bearings, one bronze gear, and a few gaskets. The Simplex E7 sitting on top of it only required a real good cleaning and an oil change. Also, I did have to buy the drive gear that couples the two together. Two gears and the gaskets cost me more then both the sound and picture head, ouch! Thanks to Scott Norwood I now have a Simplex base. That's being repainted now. The last item I'm still lacking is the Simplex LL2 base to RCA 1040 bracket. But, I'm able to run loops with the machine "up on blocks." It purrs like a kitten. Next month I'll start cleaning up the second machine.

That brings me to another question. Can anyone offer any tips on running test loops so they don't self-destruct in about 15 minutes? I want to do some scratch tests but it's hard to tell what's causing the scratches with the film rubbing on the castings. I know I need a couple more rollers.

Harry, how are you doing with your machine?

"A fifty year old Simplex is newer than a six month old VCR"

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-25-2000 02:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't worry too much about the scratching until you have the machine set up on a pedestal. Ideally, get yourself a set of platter guidance arms/rollers and just angle them specifically for running a loop. (Also, you might want to thread the soundhead so the film isn't dragging up against the front wall. )

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 05:57 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a beautiful machine. You should be proud.

Bruce

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-25-2000 07:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will mention here that I'm looking for the same bracket that Pete needs. I have one "on loan" at the moment, but I'd really like to return it. If anyone out there has three of these for a not-terribly-outrageous price, please send two to him and one to me! Thanks.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 07:55 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pete:

Boy that soundhead looks great! We are still using the 1050 soundhead at the Chehalis Theater.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2000 08:14 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Peter,
Wolk may very well have the base adaptor you need. That is a fairly common adaptor. He used to have a huge pile of base adaptors of all kinds when he was on Wabash Ave. I assume he still has them at the new place too. Great job on the rebuild. I wish Harry would post some pictures too. Is your E-7 a verticle shaft version or Oblique? The oblique is not as common but is more collectible. I have an almost new E-7 oblique head that came from Detroit Edisons screening room in Detroit. Its in absolutley gorgeous condition and I'm not sure if I even want to run it. I think I'll just keep it in its basically unused condition. Have fun with your setup.
Mark

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 09:23 AM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking job Pete! Mine is still in pieces. I had to leave town for a couple of weeks (graduations and weddings). Now I'm going to set to it and put this thing back together. When I'm done I'll post a picture. Incidently, my son managed to adapt an old mounting bracket so it would work with the 1040 and my RCA base. He did it by redrilling the holes on the bottom, then widening the slots at the top. You have to use washers to hold everyting in place, but it's good until I find the true part.

Colin Wiseley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 11:14 AM      Profile for Colin Wiseley   Email Colin Wiseley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Pete! Pretty soon I'm going to start rebuilding an old 1040 to use with a Super Simplex film head as a functional display unit in our lobby. Will it be possible to replace the gaskets and seal up the unit so it won't leak oil on the carpet? Who's a good source for parts? Thanks!

PS - Anyone out there know if Super Simplex parts are available?

------------------
Colin Wiseley
Lyric Theatre
Blacksburg, VA www.thelyric.com

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2000 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Colin,
We have quite a few parts that are new old stock. We even have a brand new LaVezzi intermittant rebuild kit for the movement. Wolk also still has most parts for them. Let me know what U need. 801-485-5012.
Mark@ GTS

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2000 02:05 PM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the kind comments, it's been a lot of fun. And since I want to run changeovers, I get to do it all again on a second machine. I still need a second base.

I'll try to answer the questions & comments in one post:

Brad,
"Also, you might want to thread the soundhead so the film isn't dragging up against the front wall." Ooh, that hurt. It just looks like it's hitting in the picture. I do agreee the loop is a little to big though.

Bruce,
How about some Holmes pictures?

Scott,
Thanks again for the base.

Mark,
I got the parts I needed from Edw. Wolk. Norm, the person there I talked to, was very helpful and was quoting part numbers for the 1040 from memory! Quite expensive though. I didn't ask him about the adapter as I didn't yet have the base. I'll ask him. This and the second good E7 and a third for parts are all oblique shaft machines.

Harry,
Looks like I'm slightly ahead of you, but not for long.

Colin,
The 1040 seems to be OK as to oil leaks, so far. The shafts are not "oil sealed" but do have splash shields on them and seem not to leak. The key is a new gasket for the gear box casting and the right oil level. I'm afraid the Super Simplex is designed to leak oil! On a regular Simplex head that came with my 1040's someone had installed a drip pan between the picture and sound head. It directs the oil to one corner where there was a small catch container. It's just a piece of sheet metal with the edges bent up. Looks like it might work, but your probably asking for trouble putting it directly on a carpet. Your also asking for trouble if your display machine is placed where the kids can get their fingers into it. They will!
Parts are available from Edw. Wolk and I believe from John Eickhof, although I haven't been able to catch up with John yet. Anyone know any other sources? See the Links and the For Sale forum for e-mail addresses and phone numbers, and manuals section for part numbers here.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: