Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex PR1060: Q on turret TU2020

Author Topic: Simplex PR1060: Q on turret TU2020
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-08-2000 11:40 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have these projectors with the two lens model.

They work OK, but they do something that really bugs our DM (and me, too.) When they rotate, the zipper shutter does not close, so you see the image twirl up to the ceiling for a a short time, and then come up from the floor just before it stops.

I looked at the schematic for it (it seems un-necessarelly complicated to me) but just to make sure you get thrown off, there's a PAL on it. No one happens to have the equation for it, do they?

Is there a jumper or something I can set myself to get the zipper to close while spinning?

|  IP: Logged

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-08-2000 11:44 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is an automation problem, not a projector problem.

What kind of automation do you have?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2000 12:05 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all the stuff that's in the turret control box, I thought something to close the zipper would be in there! There are 5 relays, 5 IC's, caps, diodes, resistors, varisistors, and a 2mhz crystal (which is called "IC2" for some reason- it doesn't look like an osc pack.

We use Xetron consoles with Maxi 12PC automation. But, I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the automation that would do this.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-09-2000 10:42 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Xetron Maxi 12PC closes the changeover when rotating the turret. But it does not seem like your changeover is recieving the command. Although I do find that very odd. Maybe some of the internal settings inside the Maxi12xPC are configured wrong. I'd look at it.

I do know that if you have a 3 lens turret, the Maxi12xpc will rotate, stop on second lens, open douser, close, rotate, then open douser on proper lens!

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-09-2000 09:04 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, then. I'll get the Xetron schematic and dive in.

I'm guessing it can't be something that's broken since all seven do it.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 04-10-2000 11:07 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the C.O. work normally other times? I've had a couple of them go bad. One time the linkage inside broke and the other the solenoid coil fried.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 04-10-2000 11:50 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the c/o's work normally for every other purpose, on all seven projectors.

Alan Brandt
Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2000 01:15 AM      Profile for Alan Brandt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
some projectors actually have a small preset delay timer built into the automation board that you can set yourself if you're very careful about it. Maybe that would work if you were to set it to close sooner and open later. Other than that, it could mean the "nand" gates are crossed somewhere along the way.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: